Ulcerative Colitis

iLoveSugar

I have had a pretty bad case of ulcerative colitis for the past few years. I bleed often, and very constipated, and having a terrible time trying to get my digestion correct, bowels out of an inflamed state. It's going on two years now, without any remission. Eating Peaty has definitely made me worse, I am not sure why. RP seems to constantly recommend thyroid, but after months of experimenting, I noticed nothing. What are some other culprits or things I could look into as far as getting my bowels out of an inflamed state? I haven't had a normal bowel movement, or without blood in such a long time. Doctors don't seem to know what to do either.

4peatssake

iLoveSugar said:
I have had a pretty bad case of ulcerative colitis for the past few years. I bleed often, and very constipated, and having a terrible time trying to get my digestion correct, bowels out of an inflamed state. It's going on two years now, without any remission. Eating Peaty has definitely made me worse, I am not sure why. RP seems to constantly recommend thyroid, but after months of experimenting, I noticed nothing. What are some other culprits or things I could look into as far as getting my bowels out of an inflamed state? I haven't had a normal bowel movement, or without blood in such a long time. Doctors don't seem to know what to do either.
I have had a terrible time getting my digestion correct and had major improvement the last couple of days using activated charcoal. I sure wish I had experimented with this before now. I am blown away at the difference in just 2 days.

It can make constipation worse, so taking cascara with it is important.

Here's a link to some info and this is what it says with respect to intestinal issues, including ulcerative colitis. I also read a few powerful testimonials online, one from a 67 yr old man who had uc since he was 19 who used it for another condition and it relieved his uc symptoms which have never returned.

INTESTINAL COMPLAINTS

Activated Charcoal has been used by physicians since the last century to treat various intestinal complaints. Abdominal distension (bloating) and flatulence respond favorably to treatment with Activated Charcoal. Diarrhea caused by food poisoning, bacteria, nervousness and other factors is usually alleviated by taking Activated Charcoal. Some physicians have used Activated Charcoal to stop bleeding from ulcerative colitis and calm spastic colons.

Activated Charcoal is the best intestinal deodorant available. Taking Activated Charcoal counteracts decomposition products from food (such as beans) that cause flatulence and diarrhea. Individuals with malodorous stools should reach for Activated Charcoal capsules. Travelers to foreign countries would be wise to pack Activated Charcoal. In my opinion, Activated Charcoal is the most practical way to effectively counteract food poisoning.

To alleviate intestinal disorders with Activated Charcoal, I recommend the following: as an antidote for food poisoning, take 4-12 grams of Activated Charcoal 3 times daily; for other intestinal complaints, take 4-10 grams of Activated Charcoal twice daily.

Source

I am currently taking 2 TB of activated charcoal in 8 oz of water. Taken at least 2 hours after any food or supplements.

In a thread about progesterone Peatarian wrote about taking 3-5 TB in 8 oz of water.

4peatssake

I am sorry to hear this. I wish I had something more to suggest. I have been so relieved to find something that has been working for me, and worked quickly to reduce the toxic overload I was experiencing.

I know how frustrating it is trying to find what you need. For me it's been a process of trial and error - and a lot of error!

I was just looking up the recipe for the cascara decoction I make and read that cascara sagrada is not recommended for people with ulcerative colitis so I wanted to mention that, especially as I mentioned it in my earlier post.

Have you written Ray Peat about your situation?

[glow=red]Whoops, sorry, my bad. I am editing my post as I just reread an earlier post on another thread where you mention RP recommending coffee enemas.

I still wonder about the activated charcoal maybe helping with toxic overload but as you can see this is NOT an area of expertise for me and one I am working to overcome myself.

Keep us posted how you are doing![/glow]

OP
I

iLoveSugar

My detox seems extremely poor. All this is probably tied in together.

4peatssake

I found the post from the man who relieved his uc symptoms with Activated Charcoal. I thought I'd closed the tab with it, but I hadn't. ;)

Here is what he reported. Anecdotal of course but if it works, it works.

Greetings:

I'm 67 years old and I've suffered with ulcerative colitis since I was 19. Since then I've tried all the drugs that came along, and nothing seemed to help. I, like so many of you, lived my life as normally as possible, but with that subconscious planning of my life around proximity to bathrooms. Typically for me was the immediate need to find a bathroom about 6 to 8 times a day.

Two years ago, just after turning 65, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. While prostate cancer (I later learned ) is the slowest growing form of cancer, its still pretty scary to hear the "C" word directed at you. My Urologist immediately told me that he had a very sharp knife and could remove my prostate completely. I spent the next two weeks learning all I could to find some more humane way to treat my prostate situation without surgery, radiation or chemo. I adopted a holistic regimen and I'm doing fine and my Prostate situation isn't getting any worse.

What, you might ask does any of this have to do with your problems? about six months ago I got interested in the various holistic practices of detoxification. One article introduced me to activated charcoal, the same stuff that's given to people who ingest poison because it adsorbs (yes "adsorbs" not "absorbs") the poison and saves the patient. The detoxification advocates say to take it two hours after eating in cold water for various digestive problems. I took one tablespoon in a cup of cold water every night at least two hours after eating and expected that I would help detoxify my system. What I didn't bargain for is that after one week of this my colitis symptoms have gone away. I am now, and for the past six months been a very normal person vis a vis bowel habits. No more diarrhea. once and sometimes twice daily on the toilet and no emergencies. I am totally amazed and thankful for this and I if only one of you benefits from my experience, that will be wonderful.

Be well,
VicG
Source

I agree that it is all connected. My constipation has worsened and my transit time is horrendous. But the charcoal has done wonders at reducing the toxic overload and I think this was important to help me regroup and get to the source of my digestive issues. It's a work in progress but I am stoked about what the charcoal has done for me.

I can take the cascara OK and get results. I prefer it to the more, uhm, explosive laxatives, I really hate those.

fyo

Eliminating offensive foods would be the first step. In my experience, many common foods can be offensive. I've found offensive spices, many varieties of juice, undercooked eggs, some milks, some gelatin types, many types of starch. Many varieties of OJ cause me gas.

Then I'd focus on eating the cleanest, simplest of foods: egg yolk, cooked potato juice, sucrose, some cooked ripe fruits you find agreeable, gelatinous soups and proteins. Lots of supplemental gelatin/collagen products, I imagine tripe would probably be best. Occasional liver and oysters.

Other things to look into are the daily carrot salad recipe, charcoal, aloe vera, cascara, antibiotics. Maybe a little powdered eggshell for calcium if milk doesn't digest well.

Otherwise just try incorporating all the other supplemental recommendations, such as aspirin, light, vitamin D, coconut oil, CO2, pregnenolone, etc. I recommend supplementing transdermally to avoid intestinal irritants found in many supplements.

Thomas

iLoveSugar said:

Have you read or considered the SCD diet. Its sensible and a good diet and has helped many people with ulcerative colitis.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

all the best to you
thomas

Primal2Peat

Can you get raw milk?

Ulcerative Colitis is what made me change my life and acquire great health. I tried veganism, SCD, zero carb, paleo, Primal by Aajonus Vonderplanitz, GAPS by Dr. Natasha McBride, and now Ray Peat.

Raw milk and gelatin have been the biggest contributors to my present health.

Also, not eating grains. Grains are the absolute worst things you can eat. Never eat them again.

I don't bleed anymore, and I never thought that would be possible. It's a living Hell and I feel for you.

You can get better.

You need to re-balance gut flora and rebuild the intestinal lining with the amino acids in the gelatin.

What's your diet like right now?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Thanks for the replies.

I did spend 1-2 years between SCD and GAPS. I did not feel well and was when my transition when from D to severe C. I have since had chronic slow bowels, and internal hemmroids and bleed often.

What helped you best in regards to re-balancing gut flora? I used to take probiotics but never noticed anything. Do you use the organ can gelatin from great lakes? Roughly how much per day?

My diet is pretty Peaty; milk, coffee, beef, sugar, salt, no starches, grains or veggies, some watermelon, applesauce, OJ, cheese and gelatin (green can). I get some coc oil in for fats as well as butter. Also about an egg a day.

jyb

Constipation and bowel inflammation are the subject the Peat's article on Cascara, in case you haven't read it. In terms of making things transit, something like Cascara is even more effective than the carrot's salad. I personally drink a shot of cascara daily now, not because I had any apparent digestion issues, but it seems to be doing something fundamental for my health - it is more than just a laxative, really.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

jyb said:
Constipation and bowel inflammation are the subject the Peat's article on Cascara, in case you haven't read it. In terms of making things transit, something like Cascara is even more effective than the carrot's salad. I personally drink a shot of cascara daily now, not because I had any apparent digestion issues, but it seems to be doing something fundamental for my health - it is more than just a laxative, really.

Literally a shot? I've been taking a tbsp but have noticed no positive effect except the first 3 days.

fyo

iLoveSugar said:
Thanks for the replies.

I did spend 1-2 years between SCD and GAPS. I did not feel well and was when my transition when from D to severe C. I have since had chronic slow bowels, and internal hemmroids and bleed often.

What helped you best in regards to re-balancing gut flora? I used to take probiotics but never noticed anything. Do you use the organ can gelatin from great lakes? Roughly how much per day?

My diet is pretty Peaty; milk, coffee, beef, sugar, salt, no starches, grains or veggies, some watermelon, applesauce, OJ, cheese and gelatin (green can). I get some coc oil in for fats as well as butter. Also about an egg a day.
I'd add in some liver and shellfish (oyster etc).
I'd be careful with milk, applesauce, OJ, and cheese. I've had weird gut issues with all these, at times, depending on the particular product. I've heard apples have a certain indigestible sugar, but maybe that breaks down with cooking, I don't know. Lots of OJ give me gas. Milk is okay with me now but not in the past. Cheese is constipating and changes my stool structure.
Gelatin, I think you should take lots, as much as reasonably practical. It has a lot to do with protecting/rebuilding the gut and reducing endotoxin.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

In order to get more gelatin in, what are some examples? It does not seem to gel well in my OJ? I do eat liver one or two times a week. Maybe I should incorporate it daily. Milk seems to affect me the worst, although I can seem to tolerate a little bit in my coffee.

fyo

Jello candy, marshmallow, animal skin products, gelatinous broths (chicken feet etc).
I put small bit of cold water, tbsp gelatin, let sit, then I pour hot coffee to dissolve it, then add sugar and milk.
For jello candy, small bit of cold water, tbsp gelatin, let sit, microwave, then add concentrate juice or juice+sugar, and let sit in fridge. Can increase the proportions easily.
Marshmallow:
http://cannella-vita.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -corn.html
http://www.anorganicwife.com/2013/01/re ... llows.html

Primal2Peat

No alcohol is important.

I personally think that raw milk was important to re-balancing my gut flora.

tomisonbottom

iLoveSugar said:
I am unbelievably constipated. Nothing at all is working.

Have you tried more cascera? I just take it capsules; if a tablespoon isn't working; try two. And believe me that stuff WILL work. You might just not have taken enough.

jyb

iLoveSugar said:
Literally a shot? I've been taking a tbsp but have noticed no positive effect except the first 3 days.

About half a teaspoon mixed in water until dissolved, so that its easier to down otherwise its too bitter to handle. So yes its literally a shot of (diluted) cascara. I haven't tried a whole teaspoon, but I think that'd be excessive and would result in me going to the restroom too soon. So I think the cascara you're using is not good. I mean try another laxative: if a random commercial laxative makes you flush then there's no reason cascara shouldn't, and that would mean that the cascara you're using is poor quality.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

It's the liquid kind from the co op in Ohio that everyone else used to buy. It worked at first, but then became ineffective.