Ulcerative Colitis

loess

pboy

laxatives can help you go in the short term, which can help you get through the day no doubt, but ultimately you want to have a prolonged period with no colon
irritants at all if possible, so it can actually heal...that would look like a typical FODMAP style diet which is pretty much like a 'what a kid would like to eat' diet, low fiber, low spice, low intensity in general, peeled cooked mashed...though I'd even say keep fruit and veg to a minimum, only enough to get enough Vit A, C, and possibly folate

jyb

pboy said:
laxatives can help you go in the short term, which can help you get through the day no doubt, but ultimately you want to have a prolonged period with no colon
irritants at all if possible, so it can actually heal...that would look like a typical FODMAP style diet which is pretty much like a 'what a kid would like to eat' diet, low fiber, low spice, low intensity in general, peeled cooked mashed...though I'd even say keep fruit and veg to a minimum, only enough to get enough Vit A, C, and possibly folate

I don't think cascara irritates the colon, it's supposed to do the opposite.

lindsay

Ugh! I just typed out a whole response and then the forum logged me out and deleted it. So I will shorten what I wrote.
I would try this tea if you are really having trouble moving things: Yogi Tea
It's more stimulating than cascara sagrada, but not as harsh as other laxatives. Wholefoods carries it (if you are in the US). It became super popular when Zelnorm was taken off the market. I would use it for a couple of days and try to clear things out and then move onto daily supplementation of cascara sagrada (which is super gentle). I use a small dosage of this brand currently: Nature's Sunshine.
Also, gelatin works miracles for inflammation, but I suggest make broth soup, as it is more soothing. Lamb shanks are loaded with gelatin and make a super tasty soup.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
lindsay said:
Ugh! I just typed out a whole response and then the forum logged me out and deleted it. So I will shorten what I wrote.

I am sorry that happened, please let me know if it happens again. Sometimes if you hit back on your browser it will reload what you typed.

lindsay

Charlie said:
lindsay said:

I am sorry that happened, please let me know if it happens again. Sometimes if you hit back on your browser it will reload what you typed.

No worries Charlie :) I think it has stopped logging me out without my consent.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
lindsay said:
No worries Charlie :) I think it has stopped logging me out without my consent.

:hattip

aquaman

I mean making it into a tea rather than taking powder / pills whole. This helps me like nothing else, takes 36 hours however to impact things. You make the tea and let the powder settle. Around 400-600 mgs of powder per dose.

natedawggh

Sugar, cascara is NOT going to help you with ulcerative colitis. Cascara helps with constipation, and ulcerative colitis is not simply constipation.

Did you read the post about activated charcoal? Activated charcoal is amazing at sopping up endotoxin and suppressing bacterial growth, which cascara doesn't really do. Have you also been tested for C. diff? It's a potent bacteria that can cause a myriad of painful and destructive lower bowel problems and is eliminated by fecal transplant or really strong antibiotics. Charcoal may be able to suppress bacteria like this and if you haven't trie that, don't bother with anything else until you have, and especially make sure you're not eating anything with gluten.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

natedawggh said:
Sugar, cascara is NOT going to help you with ulcerative colitis. Cascara helps with constipation, and ulcerative colitis is not simply constipation.

Did you read the post about activated charcoal? Activated charcoal is amazing at sopping up endotoxin and suppressing bacterial growth, which cascara doesn't really do. Have you also been tested for C. diff? It's a potent bacteria that can cause a myriad of painful and destructive lower bowel problems and is eliminated by fecal transplant or really strong antibiotics. Charcoal may be able to suppress bacteria like this and if you haven't trie that, don't bother with anything else until you have, and especially make sure you're not eating anything with gluten.

Severely constipated and sluggish bowels; activated charcoal would probably make it worse.

4peatssake

iLoveSugar said:
Severely constipated and sluggish bowels; activated charcoal would probably make it worse.
Not from my recent experience. Charcoal is exactly what helped me.
I was severely constipated and my transit times was a shocking 36 hours! I knew this only as it took 3 days til my stools turned black. :eek:
I also took strong cascara bark tea and the combination of charcoal and cascara bark tea is what turned things around for me. I had so much toxic build up from not eliminating properly that I felt very sick and bloated. Charcoal does not cause constipation in every one and sometimes acts as a laxative. Constipation results usually in instances when the charcoal is being administered for an overdose. In my case, I don't think it made my constipation any worse and it most assuredly is responsible for my immediate improvement upon taking it. I honestly was amazed by how much it helped and how fast. You could also try using a charcoal poultice if you're reluctant to take it internally.

Since doing this, I am able to function much better and can now determine what the exact culprits are for slowing things down to a crawl in the first place. I've scaled back to an elimination diet, am drinking fewer liquids and introducing new foods and supplements very slowly, one at a time. Lots of trial and error.

natedawggh

Also... Nicotine can have very beneficial effects on the intestinal system. I cut up a natural cigarette and put half of it in my coffee grounds when brewing. Here's an article from a med student talking about how nicotine cured his ulcerative colitis. Ingesting it is much more powerful so don't over do it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... oking.html

And yes, activated charcoal will not make it worse. It doesn't absorb water, it absorbs toxins (ironically will absorb nicotine, so if you use it don't at the same time)

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I ordered some activated charcoal. Hopefully I can get it out of me when I ingest it. I read some incredible stuff about something similar, Cholyrestamine.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
iLoveSugar said:
I ordered some activated charcoal. Hopefully I can get it out of me when I ingest it. I read some incredible stuff about something similar, Cholyrestamine.
Cascara sagrada.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I have been taking the Cascara from the co-op in Ohio, 1tsp per day, for about a year now.

Amazoniac

A Controlled Therapeutic Trial of Various Diets in Ulcerative Colitis

"Andresen (1925) was the first to suggest that ulcerative colitis might be due to food allergy. He continued to study the disease in this light and later reported that in two-thirds of his patients one or more specific items of the diet appeared to be the principal aetiological factor in the disease, with cow's milk as the most important, while others were wheat, tomatoes, oranges, potatoes, and eggs (Andresen, 1942). Closely similar conclusions were reached by Rowe (1942).
Since then there have been occasional reports of apparent allergy to milk or other foods in patients with ulcerative colitis (Sarles et al., 1959; Rider et al., 1960)."

"It seemed essential to test the therapeutic value of a milk-free diet in ulcerative colitis under more stringent conditions than in previous studies. We have therefore made a controlled clinical trial of various diets in this disease. In view of the findings of Taylor and Truelove (1961) that patients with ulcerative colitis are more likely than normal subjects to have high titres of circulating antibodies to two of the purified proteins of cow's milk, the immunological reactions to several dietary proteins have been studied in parallel."

"The milk-free, low-roughage diet excluded all milk and milk products whether in the form of dairy produce such as fresh milk and cheese or as powdered milk. Butter was permitted. This is the same diet as that on which some patients with ulcerative colitis had remained symptom-free and subsequently relapsed when milk was reintroduced into the diet (Truelove, 1961). The gluten-free plus milk-free diet was a modification of the gluten-free diet used in this hospital in the treatment of idiopathic steatorrhoea, but all milk and milk products were excluded in addition."

"Among the patients included in the trial there were two who had previously responded well to a milk-free diet and relapsed when milk was reintroduced."

"Six of the ten patients who were symptom-free on a milk-free diet throughout the trial period were subsequently challenged by the reintroduction of cow's milk into the diet. Three of them had rapid relapses but responded well to a short course of corticosteroids plus a milk-free diet, and have since remained well on a milk-free diet. A fourth developed abdominal pain, diarrhoea, and mild sigmoidoscopic abnormalities, but she promptly stopped taking milk and settled without corticosteroid therapy."

"The milk-free diet was superior to the dummy diet. There were twice as many of the patients on the milk-free diet who were symptom-free throughout the trial period of a year as there were on the ordinary diet, while, conversely, fewer patients suffered from several relapses."

"From our figures, the best estimate appears to be that a milk-free diet is beneficial to about one in five patients with ulcerative colitis, with a suggestion that the proportion may be higher in patients in their first attack of the disease. The titres of circulating antibodies to the principal proteins of cow's milk provide no guide to the clinical response."