UK people - salt

chris

I am yet to find a good salt in any supermarket, what salt do people from the UK buy? Thanks.

Combie

I use Cornish Sea Salt. I have obtained it from Sainsburys and Co-Op, so assume its in all of them. No complaints from it. Cheap enough too. Think £1.59 in Co-Op for 225g

jyb

I'm also in the UK and faced the same problems: either celtic salt or sodium with anti-caking agent. Seeing how much salt is recommended when Peating, I decided it had to order the Morton canning one, which I found from eBay (shipped from US or UK, not sure). Obviously its extremely expensive for posting given the weight.

If you live in London maybe you could find it in upscale food stores like Whole Foods? Not sure.

OP
chris

chris

I just went for a no additive sea salt, don't live anywhere near London unfortunately. I checked out the Morton canning one and yeah, the shipping is pretty pricey.

montmorency

Have a look in Waitrose. I've bought several different sea salts there (Maldon was one) which look "natural". (naturally harvested).

Mind you, I've heard Ray being a bit critical about salt harvested in the Channel ... because of radiation from France (*gulp*).

I've also seen a rock salt that looked quite good, but I can't now remember if it had anything added.

freal

Its the same all over Europe. Either some local sea salts from the polluted sea( like Mediterenean or Adriatic) or iodized+anti caking refined salt.

I use the one from Adriatic sea,its pure white, not like Celtic sea salt that has dirt.

OP
chris

chris

Anything wrong with kosher salt? I was planning on buying the Diamond Crystal one from Amazon, no additives.

4peatssake

chris said:
Anything wrong with kosher salt? I was planning on buying the Diamond Crystal one from Amazon, no additives.
From what I've read, I think it's good Chris.
This looks like a good product. Pure salt with no additives is what we're looking for.
I'd give it a go.

montmorency

Today I found some rock salt in Waitrose, apparently with no additives. About £1.25 per 500g.

It's branded Tidmans, but seems to be part of the Maldon salt company.

Doesn't say where it comes from, other than "ancient rock".

jyb

That's not pure NaCl like Morton? I thought that if its rock or sea salt then it can contain iron or other things. I'm not sure then if its better or worse than NaCl with anti caking agent.

4peatssake

jyb said:
That's not sure NaCl like Morton? I thought that if its rock or sea salt then it can contain iron or other things. I'm not sure then if its better or worse than NaCl with anti caking agent.
You are correct jyb, RP doesn't recommend rock or sea salt due to impurities.
The kosher salt Chris mentioned, though, is OK from what I can best determine - I found a website comparing it to Morton's canning salt (they were comparing taste) as it is a pure salt with no additives.

4peatssake

jyb

Thanks, but I mean information on its purity? So far it seems like standard rock salt, as one could get from the store.

montmorency

I must admit that I had previously thought that the only options were between sea salt and rock salt.

(And then rock salt coming in iodised and / or anti-caking-agent versions).

How is the kind of salt that RP likes produced?

4peatssake

jyb said:
Thanks, but I mean information on its purity? So far it seems like standard rock salt, as one could get from the store.
Oh, sorry. :lol: I was wondering why you asked for the link. :doh

OK you prompted some more digging and here's what I found.

Diamond Crystal is made by Cargill, the world's largest maker of salt.

Its kosher salt is made using a unique surface evaporation process, not the same process used by Morton's kosher salt which has anti-caking additives. (Morton's pickling salt does not have these additives.)

Kosher salt is a coarse, flaky salt. It is not iodized, and depending on the brand it may or may not contain an anti-caking agent like Yellow Prussiate of Soda (sodium ferrocyanide).

Kosher salt is produced using two methods. The industry standard method used by Morton Salt is to flatten salt crystals into flakes using rollers. Cargill, maker of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, uses a method called the Alberger process. A brine solution is heated in a 80' x 40' open vat. Large rakes agitate the steaming brine, and as it evaporates, crystals form into tiny pyramids with jagged edges. Cargill claims their kosher salt dissolves faster and clings to food better than rolled kosher salt.

Source

From what I can best determine the kosher salt from Diamond Crystal is pure NaCl without additives and impurities.

Kosher salt typically contains no additives, just NaCl. The grain size is usually
coarser than table salt and differs among kosher brands (Diamond Crystal is a coarser grain than Morton's.)

Source

Beebop

Thanks for all that info 4peats! I just got some of this Diamond Crystal salt. It tastes nice! I'll let you guys know if it makes me turn into a troll or anything ;)