UK Newbie On The Scene

kineticz

Hey ladies and gents

I've been a lurker for some time since diagnosed hypogonadism at the age of 25 and recovering my HPA axis with various peaks and troughs.

Based in the UK I am sceptical of Dr Peat's claims due to my own limited success. For example on a rare occasion I get my thyroid fired up and I feel great but the whole system collapses shortly after. Sugar makes me fat, and progesterone dries my skin out.

I'm 26 next week and run a successful business, looking to build muscle but my stamina is awful. Due to these health problems my love life barely exists and it's worrying me that soon I'll turn 30 and not be ready for a meaningful relationship.

Anyway, thanks for ready and stay well :)

Daniel

BingDing

Welcome to the forum, K.

My very boring advice, always the same, is to make sure you have the rudimentary factors in place: replete in vitamins and minerals, and 80-100g of protein/day.

It is not as easy as it sounds, by a long shot. Magnesium, Vit D, and selenium are widespread deficiencies. Multivitamins, aka synthetic vitamins sourced from China at a nickel a ton, are a ludicrous excuse for real nutrition.

It can be a long road but I think RP has so much of it right that there isn't any better way.

Best, BD

jyb

kineticz said:
If I ate that many carbs I'd put on some serious weight. Carbs do make me feel better but it seems the more I eat the more hungry I get, and I'd end up spending a fortune.

In my experience, it's not the amount of carbs that matters. I've seen differing opinions, for example that you need this or that amount so that T3 is produced etc. However, I don't think its true that you need huge amounts to keep stress low. Some meals with protein, a bit of sugar, calcium, etc during the day do the job. Milk for example. If you wake up in the morning and feel hungry or stressed, take a bit of milk and see fast it takes to be satisfied. For me it's pretty quick, suggesting that the frequency of meals rather than the sheer amount of carbs is what matters.

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Thanks for your input jyb. Frequency and balance is definitely key, I'm starting a chicken and rice routine for my weight lifting with isotonic drinks for sugar and electrolytes.

Has anyone got any knowledge or experience of the causes of fatty liver?

jyb

kineticz said:
I'm starting a chicken and rice routine for my weight lifting with isotonic drinks for sugar and electrolytes.

Compared to dairy, you wouldn't getting much calcium nor sat fat, while getting some pufa, iron, starch... For the purpose of weight lifting and avoiding fat gain, I think that's the complete opposite direction.

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Doesn't sound right to me... chicken and rice is a basic tested staple of bodybuilding,

What alternative meal would you suggest?

Saturated fat I eat avocado and ham sandwiches. Lots of bacon.

Isn't dairy full of hormones? I went for a period drinking lots of milk and I can't say it made any difference (on the contrary, I'm sure it was during one of my worse periods)

What are your thoughts on eggs?

Also what do you advise for raising T4?

Thanks

jyb

kineticz said:
Doesn't sound right to me... chicken and rice is a basic tested staple of bodybuilding,

Isn't dairy full of hormones? I went for a period drinking lots of milk and I can't say it made any difference (on the contrary, I'm sure it was during one of my worse periods)

I would advise you search a bit the forum on all these items (avocado, chicken, bacon, good/bad hormones in dairy vs other foods, etc) - many of the items you suggested are really in complete opposition to a "peat" diet.

OP
kineticz

kineticz

jyb said:
kineticz said:

I would advise you search a bit the forum on all these items (avocado, chicken, bacon, good/bad hormones in dairy vs other foods, etc) - many of the items you suggested are really in complete opposition to a "peat" diet.

I'll have a good look into it. What macro-changes have you made and what benefits have you gained?

jyb

kineticz said:
I'll have a good look into it. What macro-changes have you made and what benefits have you gained?

I've changed everything and gained everything. I will spare you the description of the decomposed state I was found in before I started a few years ago :lol:

Stilgar

kineticz, welcome!

I'd agree with jyb - have a dig around on the forum and really try to absorb the information. Gather and evaluate people's experiences, and you will start to create a sort of pattern or constellation of ideas and advice that should inform your own experiments. A good place to start is to release all your previous assumptions and to try to work with implementing Peat's ideas as fully as you can - so that later down the line you can amend as you see fit, and hopefully as your health improves. I found the audio interviews to be a wonderful introduction to Peat's ideas, and easy to absorb quickly, albeit I have had to listen to many of them multiple times.

Milk is full of hormones - so what if it is or isn't? If your health sucks right now, don't keep doing the same things you have always been doing and expect your health to miraculously change. Be patient, persistent and consistent and you might find you improve dramatically. Upping carbohydrates considerably, salt, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, milk and protein have been the most important things in helping me achieve much better health. I am 25, and before all this I was 23 going on 90.

I have solved years of hypoglycemia, all-over body itching, high adrenaline/cortisol, low thyroid and weird, obsessive, restrictive eating habits by using some of Peat's ideas. More importantly, it has been really instrumental in teaching me to look at my health (and many other things) in a much more rational and open minded way.

This vagueness sounds frustrating and mundane, but trust me there is no quick fix macro ratio or supplement that will get everything working again. There is evidence of this all over the forum. You need to cover a lot of bases and it can really hard work, but you might find you get much more thorough and long-term resolution if you really spend some time figuring out how you got to where you are in the first place.

Good luck :)

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Which specific type of vitamin A? I tried some capsules and it made me near suicidal, must be the wrong type

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Your logic doesn't make sense, what has bodybuilding got to do with sporadically drinking hormone pumped cow's milk, the endocrine system tends to like ratios and balance.

jyb

kineticz said:
Your logic doesn't make sense, what has bodybuilding got to do with sporadically drinking hormone pumped cow's milk, the endocrine system tends to like ratios and balance.

It's easy to find good milk in the UK.

Hormones in milk is precisely why you should drink it, especially from healthy cows. Read RP's article on milk. Hormones in milk are better than hormones in vegetables (estrogen like compounds), chicken, stressed meat, etc. Hormones in milk is a basic nutrient for the calves, just like calcium, sat fat, lactose etc

Back
Top Bottom