UK Health Advice Now In Complete Chaos (but Now Going Full Circle And Slowly Rays Way!)

Simonsays

With the UK government attempting to bring in a sugar tax on soft drinks to counter obesity.

We now have a report from the National Obesity Forum (ironically funded by the Pharma and Food Industry)

These are the recommendations.

Public Health England: Advice to eat more fat 'irresponsible' - BBC News
  • Eating fat does not make you fat
  • Saturated fat does not cause heart disease and full-fat dairy is probably protective
  • Processed foods labelled "low fat", "lite", "low cholesterol" or "proven to lower cholesterol" should be avoided
  • Starchy and refined carbohydrates should be limited to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes
  • Optimum sugar consumption for health is zero
  • Industrial vegetable oils should be avoided
  • People should stop counting calories
  • You cannot outrun a bad diet
  • Snacking will make you fat
  • Evidence-based nutrition should be incorporated into education curricula for all healthcare professionals
The report also said humans had evolved to be a "healthy well-nourished species with a long life expectancy", but this had gone wrong in the past 30 years.

• Eating fat does not make you fat
  • Saturated fat does not cause heart disease and full-fat dairy is probably protective
Fat certainly makes people fat. What do people think happens to fat when you eat it? Gets converted into glucose? "Burns up" magically?

Vegetable oil gets stored as fat, adipose tissue, only to be released at a later time. That's PUFA.

MUFA, monounsaturated fat - "“Olive oil, though it is somewhat fattening, is less fattening than corn or soy oil, and contains an antioxidant which makes it protective against heart disease and cancer.” - RP

So there's Peat confirming that MUFA and PUFA are fattening.

And then saturated fat: "If you're gaining inches, rather than muscle, you're probably eating too much fat and overall calories" - RP from one of the EastWest interviews, from which right after he said that, he then talked about his intake of low fat milk, specifically, so in that context he's talking about saturated fat, not pufa.

Peat quotes on low fat milk here: Why Do I Find Dairy Fat To Be Particularly Fattening?

As far as heart disease and whole milk, as I pointed out here from a whole milk drinker Fred Kummerow:

"He had heart disease at 89 years old. From page 180 of his book:

"When I was 89 years old, I told Dr. Scott Cook, the heart surgeon I had been collaborating with on research at Carle Hospital in Urbana, Illinois, that I sometimes felt a tightening around my collarbone after a hurried walk, but not during my daily quarter-mile swim. He suggested an echocardiogram, the results of which showed a lack of blood circulation in the upper left chamber of my heart. A cardiac catheterization indicated major blockage in the left coronary artery; old age had caught up with me. Even though I never had a heart attack, Dr. Cook recommended coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) surgery, which I had on March 23, 2004. Now I'm back exercising without that tightening feeling in my collarbone and back working at my research on diet and heart disease with even more interest."

101 Year Old Fred Kummerow Exercised A Lot And Eats Whole Grains, Oatmeal, And Vegetables

If he got it at 89 it means it was developing in his 80's. Even still, 90 is enough time, even with heart disease.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fat certainly makes people fat. What do people think happens to fat when you eat it? Gets converted into glucose? "Burns up" magically?
It magically burns up on high fat/low carb. :ss2

"You don't produce the ketones unless you're raising your cortisol enough to activate the conversion of protein into the ketones."

Some of Peat's statements can be confusing, especially the above, in light of real world experiments. The body goes out of its way to preserve lean mass when in "nutritional ketosis":

"B-OHB and acetoacetic acid by the liver, a significant amount of glycerol (the 3-carbon backbone of triglycerides) is liberated and converted by the liver into glycogen. As an aside, this is why someone in nutritional ketosis – even if eating zero carbohydrates – still has about 50-70% of a normal glycogen level, as demonstrated by muscle biopsies in such subjects."
Ketone-figures-5-645x545.jpg

Ketosis – advantaged or misunderstood state? (Part I) - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Peat has said that ketones are a great fuel but the problem is the cortisol that comes with the production of it. Well if that's not quite accurate, then a reconsideration of "nutritional ketosis" is warranted.

Fat can make you fat. Carbs can make you fat. An excess of either one can make you fat.

Tenacity

I've yet to see any sufficient evidence, even my own personal experiments, to prove that fat is what makes you fat. I'm the heaviest I've ever been following a 'Peat diet'. Positive energy balance in the body makes a person fat. It's that simple.

"You don't produce the ketones unless you're raising your cortisol enough to activate the conversion of protein into the ketones."

He misspoke but then corrected himself at 34 seconds "turn protein into glucose while turing some of the fat into ketones"

He misspoke but then corrected himself at 34 seconds "turn protein into glucose while turing some of the fat into ketones"

Yeah, my comment was about the idea that the body converts protein into glucose in "nutritional ketosis", due to the rise in cortisol.

This can happen, but in "nutritional ketosis" the majority of glucose comes from glycerol. That's the whole idea of "nutritional ketosis": moderate protein for building blocks and fat for glycogen and ketones. So far, there seems to be real world examples of people successfully executing this and in the process losing excess body fat, building lean mass, eliminating liver fat (Dr. Peter Attia had a liver MRI which showed an extremely lean liver without any fatty deposits).

This pretty much flies in the face of mainstream dogma that state "nutritional ketosis" is bad because of the excess cortisol which promotes lean-mass/muscle wasting. If Peat is repeating this same dogma, it makes me double-check the details of his dietary strategies.

Yeah, my comment was about the idea that the body converts protein into glucose in "nutritional ketosis", due to the rise in cortisol.

This can happen, but in "nutritional ketosis" the majority of glucose comes from glycerol. That's the whole idea of "nutritional ketosis": moderate protein for building blocks and fat for glycogen and ketones. So far, there seems to be real world examples of people successfully executing this and in the process losing excess body fat, building lean mass, eliminating liver fat (Dr. Peter Attia had a liver MRI which showed an extremely lean liver without any fatty deposits).

This pretty much flies in the face of mainstream dogma that state "nutritional ketosis" is bad because of the excess cortisol which promotes lean-mass/muscle wasting. If Peat is repeating this same dogma, it makes me double-check the details of his dietary strategies.

I've met the staff at True North Heath center who do water only fasting on a daily basis with people from all over the world, they've done over 15,000 fasts and everyone has walked out fine. They also say that the body is extremely well at preserving protein tissue and mostly burns ketones in a water only fast in almost everyone who does it, and a resting state, resting but not completely, they do have you walk around. Some people lose too much Na, K, Ca, Mg so for them they either give them a vegetable broth to continue the fast or just end the fast but it's rare.

Last edited:

jyb

Why are we always confusing ketogenic diets and fat diets? Saturated fats can be "burnt" oxidatively just as easily as glucose, whether the diet is ketogenic or not.

Makrosky

I've met the staff at True North Heath center who do water only fasting on a daily basis with people from all over the world, they've done over 15,000 fasts and everyone has walked out fine. They also say that the body is extremely well at preserving protein tissue and mostly burns ketones in a water only fast in almost everyone who does it, and a resting state, resting but not completely, they do have you walk around. Some people lose too much Na, K, Ca, Mg so for them they either give them a vegetable broth to continue the fast or just end the fast but it's rare.
Yeah, thanks for pointing this. I think fasting has been a common practice of human beings for as long as there are written documents, so I think Peat's claims that fasting is so bad for health are just not true.

tara

Burns up" magically?
Some of it burns up (oxidises) by currently known metabolic pathways (known in less technologically advanced times as 'magic fat is part of food'). :)
But watch out for cortisol and rapid aging:
If you use it as main fuel.

This was the main Peat angle. Im not sure what industrial vegetable oil is though as opposed to vegetable oil?
Maybe industrially-refined plant oils that come liquid in a bottle, as opposed to oil that comes in small quantities in vegetables along with a bunch of useful nutrients?

lvysaur

Fat can make you fat. Carbs can make you fat. An excess of either one can make you fat.

Glycogen storage capacity and de novo lipogenesis during massive carbohydrate overfeeding in man.

If the carbs are all from glucose, it's virtually impossible to gain weight assuming proper insulin sensitivity. Fructose isn't converted to glycogen well by the muscles, so assuming 100g glycogen capacity of the liver, and depleted glycogen in the morning, you can eat over 50 teaspoons of sugar per day without gaining any fat. This also assumes that the muscles store all the glucose from ingested sugar, while the liver stores all the fructose.

burtlancast

This article is just another example on how to monopolize science and medecine using controlled opposition groups.

Englishmen have made it an art.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals