UK government wants to tax sugar and reduce consumption

halken

PL2kGZV.jpg

Giraffe

"In October 2011, Denmark introduced a fat tax on butter, milk, cheese, pizza, meat, oil and processed food if the item contains more than 2.3% saturated fat.[26] However, in November 2012, the Danish Tax Ministry announced it would abolish the fat tax,[27] stating that it failed to change Danes' eating habits, had encouraged cross border trading, put Danish jobs at risk and had been a bureaucratic nightmare for producers and outlets.[27][28] The proposed sugar tax plans were also scrapped.[29]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tax

You can say that this tax failed in Denmark. Back then German newspapers reported that it was too much of an administrative burden. Someone from Denmark here?

Nighteyes

Giraffe said:
post 112041 Someone from Denmark here?

Yup, I remember when that tax what introduced here in Denmark.. It instantly made post-partying pizza slizes slightly more expensive :p

It is a problem when the government tries to control what we eat by adjusting the prices.. Especially when "what to eat" is so individual. Maybe they would have more success introducing tax on tobacco as that kills quite a few people here.. but then again where does it stop and who decided tobacco is the villain. I am probably just biased as I hate smoke being everywhere in the public space. It should be illegal to smoke and ride the bike at the same time ;)

Last edited by a moderator: