OP
A

aquaman

pboy said:
beautiful landscape in your avatar Jennifer

high brix usually indicates healthy and ripe

What counts as "high" in Brix for juices?

I just got a cheap refractometer so can measure it!

Jennifer

aquaman said:
pboy said:
beautiful landscape in your avatar Jennifer

high brix usually indicates healthy and ripe

What counts as "high" in Brix for juices?

I just got a cheap refractometer so can measure it!

It all depends on the fruit or vegetable you're measuring. They're scored as either poor, average, good or excellent. Excellent would be considered high Brix. Here's a link to a Brix chart that Daimyo posted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bpS4-kAdJpU/T ... Chart2.jpg

OP
A

aquaman

thanks!

edit - i tested 2 types of store-bought apple juice, and freshly squeezed OJ.

the apples got 10.5 and 11.5, and the OK got 11.5, so would only place them as "average"

BingDing

Good thread. Murray's apple cider is from Virginia, it's "a blend of whole tree ripened apples" and it didn't cause me any problems.

Jennifer, aquaman, or anyone, googling on refractometers turns up all kinds of stuff. Anyone have advice on a good brand/model. Testing both food and urine would be good, can all of them do both?

Thx

Jennifer

BingDing said:
Good thread. Murray's apple cider is from Virginia, it's "a blend of whole tree ripened apples" and it didn't cause me any problems.

Jennifer, aquaman, or anyone, googling on refractometers turns up all kinds of stuff. Anyone have advice on a good brand/model. Testing both food and urine would be good, can all of them do both?

Thx

It's been years since I reviewed refractometer models, but to do urine along with produce, if I remember correctly, you want a 0-10% model. The Vee Gee brand is good, but there are other much cheaper models that can get the job done.

I got mine through Promise Outreach, the RBTI organization I was under the care of a couple years back. I paid around $120 for it and chose it because I needed one that they approved for accuracy given that I was doing my own testing away from their retreat. I think a $30 dollar one would work just fine, though.

OP
A

aquaman

as an update, I'm also testing out the 5 litre bagged Apple and Pear juice from http://www.chegworthvalley.com since the Duskin's has Ascorbic Acid in it.

Also the bagged stuff works out cheaper (£2 per litre)

Turns out the Chegworth has ascorbic acid too, even though they don't say on their website anywhere that they add it!

Also tested the Brix of it, and it's 10 - so it's not great juice. Shame!

Daimyo

I would be a bit suspicious to test the quality of (not raw) store bought juice by taking the Brix measure. Imagine they make the juice from concentrate. Now... If they add less water you you will have higher Brix reading, regardless off the juice quality. The same if they add some sugar etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom