Ugly Side Of GMOs

mas

I listened to an excellent interview of Dr. Thierry Vrain, soil biologist and genetic scientist, who retired from science because of his conscientious objection of working in the GMO research. He now works on a farm with his wife who is a herbalist, and with other scientists is lecturing to help educate the public to the dangers and pervasiveness of GMO foods. The US needs to wake up fast because most countries in the world have rejected GMOs for good reason. It offers no benefits except to the corporate monopoly and destroys soil and causes disease as RP says we are eating "foods" that human beings never consumed before. Dr. Vrain calls it "madness."

He also stated that in his opinion the best way for the public to try to stop the GMOs is :
educaion re GMOs
public boycott of these products

From Ray Peat
RU486, Cancer, Estrogen, and Progesterone.

Monsanto and the Pentagon believe they can use reductionist molecular biology to predict, manipulate, and control life processes, but so far it is only their ability to damage organisms that has been demonstrated.

Dr. Vrain's interview

http://commonground.ca/2013/10/dr-thier ... tleblower/

Important highlights of Dr. Thierry Vrain's interview

Q: As a soil biologist, what are the effects of GMO crops on the soil?

A: Roundup (Monsanto’s herbicide) is a chelator; it holds manganese, magnesium and a few other minerals. It holds the minerals and doesn’t let go so basically it starves the plant. It probably also starves many other creatures in the soil, but I don’t think that is documented.

There are a good number of studies now showing that engineered plants have proteins that are quite different than the proteins that are expected, so-called rogue proteins. These proteins are truncated; they are different. They might function as a protein to kill caterpillars, for example. Or they might not. But they are different and that difference has not been investigated. Basically, the dogma is you put in a gene and you get the protein you want. So much so that the regulatory agencies, when they want to test for the safety of genetically engineered crops, all they need to show is that the protein that was inserted into the plant is safe, but they don’t go and test the new protein actually created in the plant.

Q: What do you think of Big Biotech claims that they have the answer to feeding the world, increasing crop yields, decreasing use of pesticides and herbicides, and lowering costs?

A: Charles Benbrook, head of the Union of Concerned Scientists from California, who put together the statistics from the USDA to see if there was an increase in yield, discovered that there is no increase in yield, and, in fact, there is a slight decrease, that some of the engineered crops are not as good as the conventional crops. Herbicide use is actually increasing. People are really concerned because there are now Super Weeds resistant to this technology. The GE herbicide is basically useless when the weeds become resistant. This was predicted 25 years ago. Same thing happened with insect resistance. It builds up, so if there is a saving of insecticide today, it will disappear in the next few years. Farmers are now encouraged to spray insecticide on the Bt crops so the insects don’t become resistant to the particular genetically engineered technology… it’s madness!

Q: The 2008 film The World According to Monsanto exposed the revolving door between the bio-tech industry and government.

A: I read that Dr. Shiv Chopra was offered a million dollars to close his eyes and sign off on the RBGH incident but he refused and was fired because he just wouldn’t shut up. [Editor’s Note: Drs. Shiv Chopra, Margaret Haydon and Gérard Lambert are former Health Canada scientists who were dismissed for “insubordination” in 2004 after publicly expressing serious reservations about the approval of products they believed would harm the food chain and ultimately threaten the well-being of Canadians. A cross Canada public speaking tour, starting in BC, with Dr. Chopra and Dr. Vrain, is in the planning stage for the second half of November.]

Q: I read in Seeds of Deception about the random insertion of the genes, that there is no way it can be precise, which you have confirmed. So why do scientists claim precision when genetically altering nature?
A: It is about the money. Again, it becomes very important for the biotech companies to push aside the studies that are not confirming the corporate line or questioning safety. But it’s simpler. Most investors in the biotech companies just want to make money… it’s the bottom line. They may think if they can get away with selling it then why not?

Q: Are they still getting away with it?

A: They are getting away with it. You may be questioning it; you may be avoiding GMOs and I certainly am and we may be kicking the giants. But, really, quite frankly, they (have no shame) buying the courts, the governments and the Senate.

Q: But they didn’t fully buy everybody in Europe … there’s enough resistance in Europe.

A: No they didn’t buy everyone in Europe, but they sure tried. There are basically about five countries in the world that grow GMO crops… India, Argentina, Canada, the US and a couple of others and there’s some 20 countries that actually do not require labeling or have no restrictions. All over Europe there is labeling and as soon as you have labeling, there are no more GMOs because people don’t want them.

LucyL

The hubris of corporations/scientists is astounding. I'm currently reading through the works of Dr. William Albrecht, and it seems there wouldn't even be a need for Roundup if scientists/farmers had looked more carefully at soil nourishment.

Entropy

The amount of people claiming GMO's as "safe" and stating it's scientifically credible is truly disgusting.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Entropy said:
The amount of people claiming GMO's as "safe" and stating it's scientifically credible is truly disgusting.

I browse both left leaning and right leaning news sources, and it is funny to me how on the right there is overwhelming skepticism on CAGW, but modest support for GMOs. Then on the left, you have a majority that is deadly serious about CAGW, and skeptical of GMOs.

That's humor to me.

Ironically the irradiation breeding that we are all eating was probably safer.

mt_dreams

LucyL said:
The hubris of corporations/scientists is astounding. I'm currently reading through the works of Dr. William Albrecht, and it seems there wouldn't even be a need for Roundup if scientists/farmers had looked more carefully at soil nourishment.

There was never a need ... they knew this all along. All the info coming out of England's agri-revolution pointed towards soil health as a catalyst for crop health. Monsanta & dunlop made so much money from things like Styrofoam & agent orange that it just made practical business sense for agri-chemical companies to go the route of crop spraying. Especially since they were denied patents on fruit & veggies. Business 101 - rule one - make as much money as possible. If we are not allowed to patent the current food supply, then we'll have to force our patented food onto the population. Tug of war at its finest.

Just like the metric system, it doesn't matter if the whole world changes its views on GMO's. America (and all it's powerful corporations) will do whatever they can to make as much money as possible.

Hopefully Trump has a respectable campaign, which will in the future inspire other rich people not tied to government to try come in and break the link b/w politics & corporation pay-offs.

goodandevil

They may have been able.to make money other ways, like these wars. They could've done a lot of different things. I believe they are weakening people, killing them off, preparing for the next dark age. Isn't monsanto active in the ukraine? Who has money in the ukraine to pay them? No, I believe it's more pernicious- Iit's biological warfare.

tara

mt_dreams said:
America (... all it's powerful corporations) will do whatever they can to make as much money as possible.
I have heard that US corporate directors can be sued if they don't. Can anyone confirm?

mt_dreams said:
Hopefully Trump has a respectable campaign, which will in the future inspire other rich people not tied to government to try come in and break the link b/w politics & corporation pay-offs.
I'm all for inspiring the holders of wealth to do the right thing, but I'm not going to hold my breath for this being the main solution. There is no way for most of them to accumulate extreme wealth without exploiting other people and/or externalising environmental costs. These can be hard habits to break.

mt_dreams

tara said:
mt_dreams said:
America (... all it's powerful corporations) will do whatever they can to make as much money as possible.
I have heard that US corporate directors can be sued if they don't. Can anyone confirm?

I can't confirm the suing aspect, but they routinely evaluate how much cost, be it lawsuits or fines, which would come about if they are found liable for any damage they are doing via their practices. If they can make more money (minus damage control) by going the damaging route, without blinking an eye, they will do it.

tara said:
I'm all for inspiring the holders of wealth to do the right thing, but I'm not going to hold my breath for this being the main solution. There is no way for most of them to accumulate extreme wealth without exploiting other people and/or externalising environmental costs. These can be hard habits to break.

I agree, I wont be holding my breath. Although legal, Trump's no doubt done some shady things in the past to expand his wealth. That being said, when a president doesn't care how he will make once he's done the 4-8 years (which totals roughly 1.5-3 million), he wont be tempted by measly multi million dollar bribes. Clinton wasn't even a millionaire when he became president, now he has almost 100 million. Hard work sure, but he definitely made some friends in high places along the way. The only potential billionaire president in history is also the only president in the last 2 centuries to go against the monetary fund ... i don't think it's a coincidence.

tara

mt_dreams said:
I can't confirm the suing aspect, but they routinely evaluate how much cost, be it lawsuits or fines, which would come about if they are found liable for any damage they are doing via their practices. If they can make more money (minus damage control) by going the damaging route, without blinking an eye, they will do it.

I agree with this, but in addition, much of the damage done is legal, because wealth tends to give influence over the laws, and the wealthy tend to favour laws that allow them to externalise costs.

4peatssake

Great post, mas. :hattip
Corporate greed at its finest. I'm not disinclined to consider more devious purposes as well.
I hope voices like Vrain and Peat get louder and louder.
Not sure about Trump but it's entertaining to watch, especially other candidates squirm when he says something outrageous. :lol:

It's funny that we have to deal with these "trillion meal" studies and soccer mom blogs when for medicine we need 10 years of tests for each and every preparation.

mt_dreams

4peatssake said:
Not sure about Trump but it's entertaining to watch, especially other candidates squirm when he says something outrageous. :lol:

That's why he's so popular. I can't imagine anyone thinks he'll actually be a good president. lets remember the election isn't for another 16 months. He's a microcosm of the hilarity regarding the length of the American election campaign. More of a distraction than anything else, b/c most Americans don't want to actually pay attention to the important initiatives of any given candidate ... at least not this soon in the process. Keep the villain going for long enough to justify the presses obsession with elections 2 years into a 4 year term, rather than talking about laws that need fixin & important stories which is what true journalism ought to be.

bringing things full circle back to Monsanto, they've bought up Synergeta (or something like that) so they can route their profits oversees and not have to pay taxes. So many massive corporations are taking Apple's lead and doing this, and it's definitely putting a strain on the publicly funded sectors of the US. Loop holes galore. They're treating this like a game of Monopoly, and they're the ones closest to the games money stash.

tara

I am concerned not only with the direct safety of eating GMOs, but also with the other effects on the environment, which seem to me to be taking unwarranted risks with the long-term sustainability of agriculture.

I have heard of studies showing that contrary to the marketing, GMOs often get exposed to more toxic pesticides than more conventional crops.

I'm also not thrilled with the prospects of glyphosate-resistent strains crossbreeeding with various invasive weeds, etc.

Nor am I thrilled by the continuing trend towards reduced genetic diversity. With global climate change upon us, I am very keen that there be plenty of old varieties around from which to select strains that can thrive in the various new conditions that are likely to arise world-wide.

I'm also very concerned about setting up farmers to be dependent on constantly buy more patented seeds. The GO seed companies have a profit driven interest in a captive market for their limited number of patented seeds. This looks to me like a major world food security risk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals