Tyrosine Suppresses Cortisol Release During Stress

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some cortisol release is obviously needed, but chronically elevated it becomes dangerous. Dietary tyrosine may be able to help. It looks like the dosage is not too high - i.e. about 5g for a human should do the trick.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4068899

Great! Could this help Cushing's sufferers? I wonder if pregnenolone acts similarly.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Great! Could this help Cushing's sufferers? I wonder if pregnenolone acts similarly.

I think a safer option would be Cascara as it has many other benefits and no effect on catecholamines. I have done saliva tests after taking Cascara and cortisol levels drop by about 60% 30min after taking 1 capsule with water (no sugar or salt in water). Btw, Cushing sufferers are known to struggle with obesity and water retention, and this study found Cascara may help with that too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2962821/

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

I think a safer option would be Cascara as it has many other benefits and no effect on catecholamines. I have done saliva tests after taking Cascara and cortisol levels drop by about 60% 30min after taking 1 capsule with water (no sugar or salt in water). Btw, Cushing sufferers are known to struggle with obesity and water retention, and this study found Cascara may help with that too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2962821/

That's crazy!

jyb

haidut said:
I think a safer option would be Cascara as it has many other benefits and no effect on catecholamines. I have done saliva tests after taking Cascara and cortisol levels drop by about 60% 30min after taking 1 capsule with water (no

So you're suggesting it has body wide effects. I always wondered if emodin was only reducing the inflammation of the intestine cells it comes in contact with while in transit. Studies would suggest broader effect (eg topical emodin), but that's with medical, extracted emodin so I wasn't sure for oral commercial cascara.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
haidut said:
I think a safer option would be Cascara as it has many other benefits and no effect on catecholamines. I have done saliva tests after taking Cascara and cortisol levels drop by about 60% 30min after taking 1 capsule with water (no

So you're suggesting it has body wide effects. I always wondered if emodin was only reducing the inflammation of the intestine cells it comes in contact with while in transit. Studies would suggest broader effect (eg topical emodin), but that's with medical, extracted emodin so I wasn't sure for oral commercial cascara.

I am suggesting that based on the study I posted and my own experiments, oral emodin (from 420mg cascara in my case) directly inhibits new cortisol synthesis in the body. I tried Cascara since I do not have access to pure emodin, and I think Ray believes the cortisol/stress reduction is one of the reasons Cascara is helpful for preventing damage to metabolism. If Cascara works then I do not see a reason why other sources like Aloe Vera and Senna would not work as well.

khan

Which time of the day tyrosine should be used for its anti cortisol effects?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
khan said:
Which time of the day tyrosine should be used for its anti cortisol effects?

The study did not look at time of day, but other studies have shown that tyrosine only converts into dopamine while the retina is exposed to sunlight. So, to be safe it's probably best if it is taken during the day. Also, Ray wrote that cortisol is highest in the morning so even more reason to take tyrosine earlier in the day.

BingDing

Also, if you are interested in the tyrosine -> dopamine result, taking tyr first thing in the morning on an empty stomach there would be no other AAs competing for the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter to cross the blood brain barrier. I've been giving it about a 20 minute head start before the milk in my coffee catches up.

I want to say, also try to only take vitamin B6 in the morning, possibly no more than ten milligrams. I think the metric of "more dreaming" that people use to judge effectiveness of supplementation is not appropriate and might reflect increased melatonin and/or prolactin. [http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4686]

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:bump this time for Katty. I'm not sure if it might be of interest due to your recent cortisol issue.

accelerator

Emodin, a natural product, selectively inhibits 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and ameliorates metabolic disorder in diet-induced obese mice

Is there a particular saliva testing kit you like/trust?

Ganne

I am suggesting that based on the study I posted and my own experiments, oral emodin (from 420mg cascara in my case) directly inhibits new cortisol synthesis in the body. I tried Cascara since I do not have access to pure emodin, and I think Ray believes the cortisol/stress reduction is one of the reasons Cascara is helpful for preventing damage to metabolism. If Cascara works then I do not see a reason why other sources like Aloe Vera and Senna would not work as well.

Ganne

I know this is an old
Post but going through a lot of stress due to deaths in my family. Was wondering if aloe or senna would help and if so how much to take ?

Mr Joe

Meta-Review on Tyosine effects. It seems it is most beneficial to retain cognitive ability/performance under stress or high cognitive demands:

Effect of tyrosine supplementation on clinical and healthy populations under stress or cognitive demands—A review
Nice. Here a part of the conclusion :

"Unfortunately, the potential of TYR supplementation as a treatment for psychiatric disorders seems limited at best. This may be due to the fact that the sub optimal catecholamine levels in many disorders are due to an impairment of DA and/or NE synthesis and metabolism. For example, in Parkinson's disease the enzyme that converts TYR into L-DOPA is less active. Such complications limit TYR'sability to promote optimal brain function (Zhu et al., 2012). Inother words, disorders characterized by suboptimal DA and NE donot necessarily benefit from TYR supplementation. The potentialof TYR for improving physical exercise during stress seems equally limited; perhaps because physical performance is not as directly linked to catecholamine levels in the brain as cognitive performance is. As such we hypothesize physical exercise may benefitfrom TYR only to the degree that it creates a stressful state in which cognitive control functions are challenged and neurotransmitter levels are depleted. By far the clearest picture arises from studieson TYR and cognitive performance. When healthy subjects areexposed to either external stressors or cognitively demanding situations, catecholamine levels in the brain decline and performance on cognitive tasks decreases accordingly. However, TYR supplementation seems to replete neurotransmitter levels in thebrain and reverse the stress-induced degradation of a variety of cognitive functions. It is not yet known whether this improvementis because of enhancement of phasic NE firing in the locuscoeruleus, which would benefit functions such as attention, or dueto boosting DA function in striatal or prefrontal areas, which isclosely associated with working memory function."

So maybe a good approach would be replete neurotransmiter levels with Tyrosine and give at the same time something that would increase the expression of the enzyme ? Like vitamin D ? Thyroid ? Light or Adamante ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals