Tyromix adventure. (trying to raise temp and pulse, improve mental focus)

bluefish

Ive been using tyromix.

I was trying to raising temp and pulse. And improve my general energy levels and brain fog I guess.

I started w 1 drop.. and then through the last few months, ended up doing 16 (4 drops x4/day). my temp and pulse never raised actually. I did end up getting a flared up temp and pulse for about a week: my temp shot up to 101 and pulse peaked also around 90... then both slowly dropped to 98.6 for 2 days... then dropped all the way down to what I usually have which is around 97.2.

for a few days I started taking 24 drops, then decided Im crazy and dont know what im doing so I'm planning to do a maintenance dose at 12/day (4drops 3xday).
I have no idea what Im doing w this stuff.

I wanted to see if I could raise my pulse temp but not sure whats going on, now that it looks like it hasn't moved much or at all.

today My waking temp was 96.6 pulse 75.
Seems like thats where Im at.
Also today Im mentally pretty foggy, which I wasnt well I was taking higher doses of tyromix.

I dont know enough about how the thyriod works. If Im supplemening it will tyromix, will it affect it adversly? shut it down or make me dependent on it etc?

Thoughts? suggestions? thanks!

side note, as of last few days my digestion is very slow and no appetite.

also taking idealabs: K, mag, and MB
diet is lots of raw goat milk, beef liver, steak, eggs etc.

meatbag

Ive been using tyromix.

I was trying to raising temp and pulse. And improve my general energy levels and brain fog I guess.

I started w 1 drop.. and then through the last few months, ended up doing 16 (4 drops x4/day). my temp and pulse never raised actually. I did end up getting a flared up temp and pulse for about a week: my temp shot up to 101 and pulse peaked also around 90... then both slowly dropped to 98.6 for 2 days... then dropped all the way down to what I usually have which is around 97.2.

for a few days I started taking 24 drops, then decided Im crazy and dont know what im doing so I'm planning to do a maintenance dose at 12/day (4drops 3xday).
I have no idea what Im doing w this stuff.

I wanted to see if I could raise my pulse temp but not sure whats going on, now that it looks like it hasn't moved much or at all.

today My waking temp was 96.6 pulse 75.
Seems like thats where Im at.
Also today Im mentally pretty foggy, which I wasnt well I was taking higher doses of tyromix.

I dont know enough about how the thyriod works. If Im supplemening it will tyromix, will it affect it adversly? shut it down or make me dependent on it etc?

Thoughts? suggestions? thanks!

side note, as of last few days my digestion is very slow and no appetite.

also taking idealabs: K, mag, and MB
diet is lots of raw goat milk, beef liver, steak, eggs etc.
Therefore, I instruct my patients to take their temperature orally (as opposed to underarm) immediately upon awakening in the morning as a guide to diagnosis and treatment of hypothyroidism. At the same time I have my patients check their resting pulse rate which should be between 65 and 75. If a patient exhibits hypothyroidism symptoms and his temperature is below 97.8 Fahrenheit, I prescribe one grain (60 mg) of Armour Desiccated Thyroid daily. If no improvement is noted in two or three weeks, I instruct him to increase the dose by another grain. At each step, we monitor morning temperature and heart rate. If the suspected hypothyroid symptoms are still present and the temperature is still sub-normal, it is safe to continue to increase the dosage provided that the patient’s heart rate goes no higher than the mid-70s, and no symptoms of hyperthyroidism are evident, (agitation, anxiety, poor sleep, tremor of hand, palpitations). Treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone is very safe. There is little risk of excessive thyroid dosage if: (1) the patient feels well; (2) the temperature remains below 98.2; (3) the pulse is less than 75 beats per minute; and (4) the thyroid function tests remain normal. (Note that most hypothyroid patients feel best with sub-normal TSH levels).” -Dr. Ward Dean
Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren’t increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day.”
Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Here are some temperature and pulse tracking basics:
1. Before taking each reading, be at rest for at least five minutes. Use a basal thermometer or mercury thermometer for oral temperature accuracy. An oximeter (like one from Santa Medical) can help you quickly track your pulse. If you don’t have an oximeter, count your heart beats at the neck or wrist for a full 60 seconds or count for ten seconds and multiply by six.
2. Temperature or pulse should not decrease following meals. If it does this consistently, adrenal stress hormones are playing a significant role in your physiology. The introduction of sugar from food lowers the stress hormones and provides a more clear outlook on the resting metabolism.

“If the night-time stress is very high, the adrenalin will still be high until breakfast, increasing both temperature and pulse rate. The cortisol stimulates the breakdown of muscle tissue and its conversion to energy, so it is thermogenic, for some of the same reasons that food is thermogenic.

After eating breakfast, the cortisol (and adrenalin, if it stayed high despite the increased cortisol) will start returning to a more normal, lower level, as the blood sugar is sustained by food, instead of by the stress hormones. In some hypothyroid people, this is a good time to measure the temperature and pulse rate. In a normal person, both temperature and pulse rate rise after breakfast, but in very hypothyroid people either, or both, might fall.”
-Ray Peat, PhD

3. Upon waking, an ideal temperature is between 97.8-98.6F and a pulse rate between 75-85 beats per minute (BPM). Other readings during the day should fall within these parameters as well with temperatures being closer to 98.6F than 97.8F. Data points below the optimal are a sign of a slowed metabolic rate.
4. There should be an increase in temperature and pulse rate following a good breakfast as the liver becomes energized allowing it to form the active thyroid hormone, triiodonthyronine (T3).
5. The afternoon temperature and pulse should increase relative to the morning readings because of the thermogenic effect of good nutrition and movement, and the metabolic stimulation from light.
6. In some individuals with overactive adrenal stress hormones (adrenaline/cortisol), the temperature and pulse rate may seem optimal despite symptoms that indicate otherwise. In such people, the temperature and/or pulse will start to drop when metabolic efficiency starts to be restored. This is a sign of progress. Anything consistently over the optimal readings is either a sign of hypermetabolism or an exaggerated adrenaline/cortisol response.
7. Correlate the temperature and pulse rate data to the person. The temperature and pulse information serves as one piece of data that needs context to be understood completely.
8. The ease by which this data can be taken and tracked makes it ideal in discovering which foods, supplements, and activities promote or degrade your metabolism.
9. If you can’t get all three readings due to lifestyle/work commitments during the weekdays, do your best to at least get the waking temperature/pulse and be religious about getting all three readings on the weekend. Setting an alarm or event in your calendar on your phone can serve as a reminder until tracking becomes more habitual.
10. Both the temperature and pulse rate provide more data together than either one of them alone.
Temperature and Pulse Basics & Monthly Log – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

MitchMitchell

I don’t understand why anyone would supplement t4 if they have symptoms of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism = deiodinases converting t4 into reverse t3.

taking a non suppressive dose of tyronene (3-4 drops) takes my tsh down to 1 and t4 remains in range. It’s pretty easy

OP
bluefish

bluefish

Ok, I’m trying to figure this stuff out.

I’m guessing I’m taking too much? Can you explain what you think I’m doing wrong?

meatbag

I don’t understand why anyone would supplement t4 if they have symptoms of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism = deiodinases converting t4 into reverse t3.

taking a non suppressive dose of tyronene (3-4 drops) takes my tsh down to 1 and t4 remains in range. It’s pretty easy
An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren’t increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day.”
Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I don't think I've come across T3-only being recommended. I've tried it and combination is much better in my experience. You can supplement excessive T4, but that doesn't mean no T4 should be used.

cgh4444

I don’t get the whole “T4 is evil” thing. T4 is vital for brain function for one thing. I get that T3 is active etc but the body is and always will be way smarter than us when it comes to hormones. T4 is abundant in brain for a reason and it isn’t just as a storage hormone.

personally I always felt best on thyroid when using mostly T4 with very little T3

MitchMitchell

I don't think I've come across T3-only being recommended. I've tried it and combination is much better in my experience. You can supplement excessive T4, but that doesn't mean no T4 should be used.

no you can use t3 if your baseline t4 is good enough. For most people it isn’t. But a dose of t3 around 25mcg first thing in the morning is good if baseline t4 was in the upper end of normal.

I don’t base myself on n=1 experiences obviously I do this for a living. Most cases yeah NDT is good. But it’s a natural fallacy to say t4 is needed for the brain. It’s not evil either. The sole reason is t4 outcompetes t3 at the brain level. Still not an issue to use t3 only. Especially useful if baseline reverse t3 was high and needed to be decreased. Again that’s not the majority of my patients I’m well aware.

meatbag

no you can use t3 if your baseline t4 is good enough. For most people it isn’t. But a dose of t3 around 25mcg first thing in the morning is good if baseline t4 was in the upper end of normal.

I don’t base myself on n=1 experiences obviously I do this for a living. Most cases yeah NDT is good. But it’s a natural fallacy to say t4 is needed for the brain. It’s not evil either. The sole reason is t4 outcompetes t3 at the brain level. Still not an issue to use t3 only. Especially useful if baseline reverse t3 was high and needed to be decreased. Again that’s not the majority of my patients I’m well aware.
I don't think there's any person that should supplement with t3 only, over time. There are situations where t3 only is useful acutely. Ex; medicated with T4 only which worsens hypothyroidism, the situation you described with elevated reverse T3, etc.

25 mcg T3 in a single dose is way too high, that is almost 5x the physiological level within a given hour

OP
bluefish

bluefish

man, so im freaking confused now, thanks. lol

I lowered my dose of tyromix to 8-12 drops a day. 4drop throughout the day.

to repeat my temp and pulse never seemed to go anywhere, basically stayed at low 97 area/ pulse 75 about.

----

my goal was to increase mental alertness/calm/focus, as well as wake up feeling 'alive and ready to go', and feel more connected throughout my day.

Im assuming my thyroid is under performing.
more specifically my whole life I've been overwhelmed w stress and a sense of panic and insecure etc, and now Im realizing diet etc can have a huge impact on improving and reversing that situation, but due to my life long tendency to extreme stress Im guessing I need a bit of extra care in supporting a new life experience.

Now that Im aware of Ray Peat's work, and the importance of thyroid health... just seeing what I can do with that.

My cholesteral was quite high which I understand points to low thyroid function, as well as the waking temp/pulse.

ramping up tyromix didnt seem to do anything and I believe caused my temp/pulse shoot up too high for a week and then just drop down all the way again. So something isnt working as simply as planned, and its way above my pay grade.

does supplementing w tyromix shut your thyriod down? How does that work?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals