Type Of Fat To Absorb Fat Soluble Vitamins

SneezeStar

Ive been thinking for awhile about coconut oil and fat soluble vitamin absorption. Fat soluble vitamins are absorbed by chylomicrons? i think mct capric and caprilyic dont make chylomicrons, i dont know about lauric acid.

They say lauric isn't a true mct, so am thinking it produces chylomicrons.

Been thinking about what fat to have with big fat soluble doses, mct oil wouldn't help absorption i guess, i really am not sure of the whole process or how it works. Also havnt seen alot of studies.

paymanz

Butter with a little bit of yolks(Phospholipids and cholesterol)?they also stimulate bile flow.

But im not sure if MCTs aren't helpful for fat soluble absorption, that need more data to prove it.

Last edited:

paymanz

In ayurvedic medicine they use ghee to intensify herbs effects, many of their active ingredients are fat soluble.

schultz

MCTs do have the potential to be taken up by chylomicrons. source

In this article, which is interesting to read through, there is a sentence that attempts to address the issue you're talking about...

"In the case of formulas containing MCT a decrease in the concentration of some fat-soluble vitamins was observed (especially vitamin E) [48, 50]."

I skimmed through those two cited papers but didn't find anything great in them. Both of those papers seem to indicate that vitamin A status is actually improved on a diet high in MCTs. I suspect this has nothing to do with absorption, but more to do with PUFA and oxidation or some such thing. Vitamin E status was lower in the high MCT groups but linoleic acid was reduced. This might be something as simple as less PUFA in the blood means less vitamin E as well. All in all the studies said nothing about actually absorption and the mechanisms.

I've tried to research this topic before but usually give up. A while back I was trying to figure out if you can absorb fat soluble vitamins with a fat free diet and my conclusion was that you can, just not as well. If you're taking a big dose of D or A and you want to maximize absorption, I would just use butter as @paymanz suggests.

Of note: Reading through these papers it said MCT oil improves calcium absorption. I thought that was interesting.

Another note: This is a little paragraph from the second paper I cited which intrigued me. Has anybody noticed allergic reactions when consuming MCT?

"Interesting observations were recently described by Li et al. [56], who carried out a study on mice and showed that dietary MCT can promote allergy to food allergens simultaneously eaten with it, by hindering absorption of the allergen into blood and increasing its absorption in Peyer’s patches, where stimulation of Th2 response takes place. Medium-chain triglycerides can also cause an increase in allergic response after an oral attempt at food provocation. The study was not conducted on a human population; however, it clearly indicates that MCT should be used sensibly."

800mRepeats

<snip>

Another note: This is a little paragraph from the second paper I cited which intrigued me. Has anybody noticed allergic reactions when consuming MCT?

"Interesting observations were recently described by Li et al. [56], who carried out a study on mice and showed that dietary MCT can promote allergy to food allergens simultaneously eaten with it, by hindering absorption of the allergen into blood and increasing its absorption in Peyer’s patches, where stimulation of Th2 response takes place. Medium-chain triglycerides can also cause an increase in allergic response after an oral attempt at food provocation. The study was not conducted on a human population; however, it clearly indicates that MCT should be used sensibly."

Interesting ... So, using MCT in salad dressing (as I do, when I'm in a salad-eating mode), might maybe could increase nightshade sensitivity. Or, in a smoothie with egg yolk and whey. Or, cooking eggs in coconut oil.

schultz

Interesting ... So, using MCT in salad dressing (as I do, when I'm in a salad-eating mode), might maybe could increase nightshade sensitivity. Or, in a smoothie with egg yolk and whey. Or, cooking eggs in coconut oil.

That appears to be what it's saying as far as I can tell. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself can weigh in. I don't know much about the immune system and IgG + IgE. I know that Ray has a bit of a different view on them though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals