Type 1 Deiodinase Regulates ApoA-I Gene Expression And ApoA-I Synthesis Independent Of Thyroid Hormo

Drareg

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Plasma levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and apolipoprotein A-I (ApoA-I) are reduced in individuals with defective insulin signaling. Initial studies using liver-specific insulin receptor (InsR) knockout mice identified reduced expression of type 1 deiodinase (Dio1) as a potentially novel link between defective hepatic insulin signaling and reduced expression of the ApoA-I gene. Our objective was to examine the regulation of ApoA-I expression by Dio1.

APPROACH AND RESULTS:
Acute inactivation of InsR by adenoviral delivery of Cre recombinase to InsR floxed mice reduced HDL-C and expression of both ApoA-I and Dio1. Overexpression of Dio1 in InsR knockout mice restored HDL-C and ApoA-I levels and increased the expression of ApoA-I. Dio1 knockout mice had low expression of ApoA-I and reduced serum levels of HDL-C and ApoA-I. Treatment of C57BL/6J mice with antisense to Dio1 reduced ApoA-I mRNA, HDL-C, and serum ApoA-I. Hepatic 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine content was normal or elevated in InsR knockout mice or Dio1 knockout mice. Knockdown of either InsR or Dio1 by siRNA in HepG2 cells decreased the expression of ApoA-I and ApoA-I synthesis and secretion. siRNA knockdown of InsR or Dio1 decreased activity of a region of the ApoA-I promoter lacking thyroid hormone response elements (region B). Electrophoretic mobility shift assay demonstrated that reduced Dio1 expression decreased the binding of nuclear proteins to region B.

CONCLUSIONS:
Reductions in Dio1 expression reduce the expression of ApoA-I in a 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine-/thyroid hormone response element-independent manner.

Type 1 Deiodinase Regulates ApoA-I Gene Expression and ApoA-I Synthesis Independent of Thyroid Hormone Signaling. - PubMed - NCBI