Two-Year Toxicity Study of Doxylamine Succinate in B6C3F1 Mice

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Abstract​

Doxylamine succinate, a commonly used antihistamine, was administered as an admixture in the feed to groups of male and female B6C3F1 mice at dosage levels of 0,190,375, and 750 parts per million (ppm) (based on free amine) for 65 weeks (12 per group) or 2 years (48 per group). Survival to terminal sacrifice in the 2-year groups was 85–98% with no significant differences between groups of the same sex. Final body weights of the highest dose group were 3.4% and 8.7% less than controls in males and females, respectively. Doxylamine produced liver lesions in male mice including hepatocellular hypertrophy, atypical hepatocytes, clear cell and mixed cell foci, and necrosis. In females, doxylamine produced liver fatty change, hepatocellular hypertrophy, and necrosis. Doxylamine produced a significant increase in hepatocellular adenomas in the mid- and high-dosage groups of males and in the high-dosage group of females. Thyroid follicular cell hyperplasia and thyroid follicular cell adenomas also were increased in treated mice of both sexes. A treatment-related increase in cytoplasmic alteration of the parotid salivary gland in males and an increased incidence in hyperplasia of the pituitary gland in females were observed.

Source

That does not sound good at all. I think antihistamines are okay for occasional use, or for a few months but they should not be taken too often. Thanks for the study.

haidut

Forum Supporter
That does not sound good at all. I think antihistamines are okay for occasional use, or for a few months but they should not be taken too often. Thanks for the study.

Benadryl and cyproheptadine seem to be OK for long term use. I think there are multiple studies on chronic use of those in humans and AFAIK they did not find serious adverse effects. Cypro may elevate liver enzymes in some people but even that resolves within a few days after stopping it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you @charlie. I needed this reminder. Doxylamine has been my go to for insomnia for many years and I had a feeling it wasn’t good long term.

Benadryl and cyproheptadine seem to be OK for long term use. I think there are multiple studies on chronic use of those in humans and AFAIK they did not find serious adverse effects. Cypro may elevate liver enzymes in some people but even that resolves within a few days after stopping it.

they do seem to contribute to dementia. When you take them, don't you feel your mind is a bit dulled? I think in the long run this may be very bad for the brain.

CuriousKay

I have been taking diphenhydramine for 3 years, almost daily, for sleep. I would love to hear more about the thoughts around this, especially because I have fairly severe ADHD.

Mauritio

Abstract​

Doxylamine succinate, a commonly used antihistamine, was administered as an admixture in the feed to groups of male and female B6C3F1 mice at dosage levels of 0,190,375, and 750 parts per million (ppm) (based on free amine) for 65 weeks (12 per group) or 2 years (48 per group). Survival to terminal sacrifice in the 2-year groups was 85–98% with no significant differences between groups of the same sex. Final body weights of the highest dose group were 3.4% and 8.7% less than controls in males and females, respectively. Doxylamine produced liver lesions in male mice including hepatocellular hypertrophy, atypical hepatocytes, clear cell and mixed cell foci, and necrosis. In females, doxylamine produced liver fatty change, hepatocellular hypertrophy, and necrosis. Doxylamine produced a significant increase in hepatocellular adenomas in the mid- and high-dosage groups of males and in the high-dosage group of females. Thyroid follicular cell hyperplasia and thyroid follicular cell adenomas also were increased in treated mice of both sexes. A treatment-related increase in cytoplasmic alteration of the parotid salivary gland in males and an increased incidence in hyperplasia of the pituitary gland in females were observed.

Source
Thanks for Sharing.
I used to take it 2-3 times per week. But I had a feeling it made me fat .
Glad I'm off that stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals