Twitching Under Left Eye

postman

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. Under my left eye a muscle has been twitching every now and then for a couple of months now. I don't know what causes it. It seems to be exacerbated when I take more thyroid and retinol.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I read some people who experienced the same issue talk about some nutritional deficency. It makes sense then that thyroid and retinol would exacerbate the problem. But I don't know what nutrient I'm lacking if this is the case.

Kessry

How much caffeine are you ingesting in a typical day?

I had a similar issue and it went away after ceasing my daily two cups of coffee. It took about 2 weeks of reducing my daily coffee. I'm not sure what mechanism caused this and if it meant I need to work on tolerating caffeine better, but for the short term I'm just leaving coffee to 1 or 2 times a week. It may have something to do with a stress response...

OP
postman

postman

How much caffeine are you ingesting in a typical day?

I had a similar issue and it went away after ceasing my daily two cups of coffee. It took about 2 weeks of reducing my daily coffee. I'm not sure what mechanism caused this and if it meant I need to work on tolerating caffeine better, but for the short term I'm just leaving coffee to 1 or 2 times a week. It may have something to do with a stress response...
That's very interesting. I'm drinking quite a lot of coffee. But if it was coffee that single handedly caused it I don't see why retinol would make it worse. I'd have to think about lowering coffee intake, I'm quite dependent on it to have enough energy.

Kessry

That's very interesting. I'm drinking quite a lot of coffee. But if it was coffee that single handedly caused it I don't see why retinol would make it worse. I'd have to think about lowering coffee intake, I'm quite dependent on it to have enough energy.

I've found with myself that relying on caffeine to make it through the day can be a slippery slope. I quickly lose the ability to be in tune with my sleep requirements, my nutritional requirements, and overall knowing (until it's too late) if I've been running on fumes for too long. Just my personal experience.

Caffeine doesn't necessarily have to be the solution to all problems and sometimes (or many times) less can be more! For me, less caffeine and more time for adequate rest is much better in the long run than the opposite :).

OP
postman

postman

Coffee actually helps me get some deep sleep sometimes. I think it's possible that caffeine may increase nutritional requirements and that could be the cause of these symptoms. Or possibly it's just a stress reaction: too much adrenaline or cortisol or too much exaltation in nerve cells for whatever reason.

FredSonoma

I've heard that magnesium deficiency can cause eye twitching - I think I have experienced them together myself. Getting enough magnesium though seems to be really difficult when you have digestive problems!

skycop00

The left eye twitching happened to me last year. Couldn't figure it out, so I quit all supplements and just ate real food for a week. Then I introduced most of the supplements back in and no problems. One thing I do now is cycle supplements. I only take a FEW daily.

churchmouth

I have the left under-eye twitch. Yes seems to only happen at work so likely stress/ sleep related. I am also consuming magnesium, niacinamide and fat soluble vitamins (primarily lots of retinol) - it will be hard to know whether this is exacerbating it.

Peater

I'm having this exact issue at the moment. As skycop says I'm going to just cut out all supps (Cortinon, cypro, 0.5mg melatonin, mag citrate at the moment - have taken these at various points for ages though) and see if it stops.

SOMO

+1 for Magnesium/Potassium deficiency

Also I would try something like GABA to relax muscles.

In addition, I would try heating up a wet face towel/washcloth in the microwave and putting it on your face/steaming your face.

Lejeboca

I'm having this exact issue at the moment. As skycop says I'm going to just cut out all supps (Cortinon, cypro, 0.5mg melatonin, mag citrate at the moment - have taken these at various points for ages though) and see if it stops.

I had success with St. John's Wort (SJW) tincture when I had a twitch (from stress, I reckon). 3 drops once daily. Saw improvements the next day. In a week or so it was gone. SJW helped me on several such occasions.

Peater

I had success with St. John's Wort (SJW) tincture when I had a twitch (from stress, I reckon). 3 drops once daily. Saw improvements the next day. In a week or so it was gone. SJW helped me on several such occasions.

Interesting thanks, I wonder if I am depleting serotonin too much in that case

Lejeboca

Interesting thanks, I wonder if I am depleting serotonin too much in that case
You mean "increasing serotonin", right ;-) ?

I don't think so with this small dose and a duration of a week. At least not from my experience.
In addition, probably, take SJW in AM so that, if there are any serotonin issues, they will not prevent your getting to sleep.
Maybe taking something anti-serotogenic with SJW is a good idea but I didn't try this myself.

lampofred

Serotonin can act as a back-up version of GABA. The core issue is probably low CO2.

I believe it is benign misfiring of either controlling central neurons
or executing periphere nerves.
But it does get aggravated by caffeine,i cant lower it by
Mg or K,it seems to be a slight imperfection in conductance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals