Twitching Muscles After Starting Mk4

drlobster

After supplementing mk4 for a few days (this is the only change) I started getting muscle twitches in my triceps and biceps.

These are small, trembles/spasms that can occur every few seconds, then stop for an hour, then start up again.

More of an annoyance than anything, but I want to know what the mechanism is here?

I tried supplementing magnesium in case k2 was somehow leading to it to be used up downstream.

No change after magnesium so far, although I could try supplementing more.

Any ideas of what else to try?

meatbag

After supplementing mk4 for a few days (this is the only change) I started getting muscle twitches in my triceps and biceps.

These are small, trembles/spasms that can occur every few seconds, then stop for an hour, then start up again.

More of an annoyance than anything, but I want to know what the mechanism is here?

I tried supplementing magnesium in case k2 was somehow leading to it to be used up downstream.

A lot of people get low blood sugar from mk4

OP
D

drlobster

A lot of people get low blood sugar from mk4

It's possible I suppose, but I have always taken it with a large high fat/protein meal. No other signs of low blood sugar either I don't think

redsun

Hypocalcemia, which is a natural consequence of using a vitamin that reduces calcium.

OP
D

drlobster

I'm curious

If MK4 is inducing hypercalcaemia, is this evidence that the calcium is being used/deposited somewhere in the body that is needed?

Aaron

Which brand? What dose? How much calcium are you getting? I've been taking 15mg MK4 from Relentless Improvement along with a 2000-3000 of calcium a day for almost two months and I have never had that effect. I also take 300mg mag citrate and 4000 IU D3 every day. Also, are you active?

I would increase magnesium and make sure you get plenty of potassium.

When muscles twitch often it is excessive calcium. Magnesium is needed to offset this. Sometimes inorganic potassium is helpful, a few hundred milligrams, especially if you have had high salt.

Lejeboca

I had also problems with after supplementing with Vit. K (MK-4 from Thorne 2-4 drops orally) for a few days straight. Instead of trembles, I had am annoying muscle and tendon pain. Well, I quit K and they went away.
Now, I take Vit. K only a few times per week topically and feel fine (but I've upped my Ca too.)

I tend to agree with @Kingpinguin that either Ca or Mg imbalance may cause muscle spasms, in my experience and with @redsun that what you are feeling from K might be due to hypocalcemia.

OP
D

drlobster

Another strange symptom I've had is a small area in my chest/heart that feels tickly or tingly soon after I take mk4. It's almost slightly pleasurable. I've got no idea what it is. It seems to last for an hour or so, coming and going, from about 15 minutes after i take mk4 orally.

redsun

Another strange symptom I've had is a small area in my chest/heart that feels tickly or tingly soon after I take mk4. It's almost slightly pleasurable. I've got no idea what it is. It seems to last for an hour or so, coming and going, from about 15 minutes after i take mk4 orally.

Your chakras are opening.

TheSir

Second for potassium. I tried to make muscle twitches go away with calcium and magnesium for so long and wondered why sometimes they seemed to help but other times they didn't. Eventually I tried taking a teaspoon of potassium chloride and the twitches went away and I have been able to replicate this whenever they come back.

OP
D

drlobster

Second for potassium. I tried to make muscle twitches go away with calcium and magnesium for so long and wondered why sometimes they seemed to help but other times they didn't. Eventually I tried taking a teaspoon of potassium chloride and the twitches went away and I have been able to replicate this whenever they come back.

Interesting. Thank you. Might try spinach next time it gets super twitchy

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I get heart palpitations from any vitamin K2.

Calcium, in any form seems to help. I'm still looking into this.

TheSir

@Elize I use A.Vogel's Herbamare salt from my local supermarket. It's basically marketed as a heart friendly salt substitute. It's made of 97% potassium chloride and a variety of herbs and spices.

Elize

Thanks so much. I know Herbamare from South Africa. Will see if it is here in the USA too.

Elize

Thanks so much again would the Kelp in it cause issues when on Thyroid medicine?

TheSir

Not sure, but if all the spices together make up ~ 3% of the weight of the salt, the amount of kelp that ends up in one teaspoon is very miniscule.