Twitching Muscles After Starting Mk4

OP
D

drlobster

Strange.... On mk4 I was still having muscle twitches despite supplementing magnesium + calcium in decent doses.

I decided to stop mk4 and see what happened about 10 days ago. I'm still experience muscle twitching to this day. Even off it now. What's going on here? ...

Did mk4 somehow eat up my supplies of something and I haven't yet replenished it? But what? Any ideas appreciated

A.R

Strange.... On mk4 I was still having muscle twitches despite supplementing magnesium + calcium in decent doses.

I decided to stop mk4 and see what happened about 10 days ago. I'm still experience muscle twitching to this day. Even off it now. What's going on here? ...

Did mk4 somehow eat up my supplies of something and I haven't yet replenished it? But what? Any ideas appreciated
Did you get any positive effects of supplementing mk4 at all?

OP
D

drlobster

Did you get any positive effects of supplementing mk4 at all?

Hard to say really. I only took it for about 3 weeks averaging 5-10mg / day

I noticed:
- tongue and gums seemed to look healthier
- not much else in that time frame

Negatives;
- Start getting twitches first in arms, then more widespread
- Had several really severe panic attacks + insomnia shortly after taking the dose 2 times. One where I felt like I'd die. Otherwise when I took it, more of a low level agitation. Not sure what this was. The panic attacks were when I took it in the evening. There was a sense of it being overstimulating and perhaps like a "wakeful" hormone.
- Twitches continued ...
- I felt less of an urge to lift weights and walk. My activity decreased (without intending it) during mk4 supplementation.

After supplementing mk4 for a few days (this is the only change) I started getting muscle twitches in my triceps and biceps.

These are small, trembles/spasms that can occur every few seconds, then stop for an hour, then start up again.

More of an annoyance than anything, but I want to know what the mechanism is here?

I tried supplementing magnesium in case k2 was somehow leading to it to be used up downstream.

No change after magnesium so far, although I could try supplementing more.

Any ideas of what else to try?

4mg mk4 doesn't do this for me but 500mcg mk7 yesterday caused my right side delt to twitch frequently and for hours. The next meal happened to include a liter of goat milk and most of the twitching subsided. But it still twitched every now and then today.

This is the first time I'm hearing about K2 induced hypocalcemia. Would appreciate any references.

Second for potassium. I tried to make muscle twitches go away with calcium and magnesium for so long and wondered why sometimes they seemed to help but other times they didn't. Eventually I tried taking a teaspoon of potassium chloride and the twitches went away and I have been able to replicate this whenever they come back.

Potassium Chloride is very high in Zn and Fe,they avoid mentioning it,
but i saw reagent distributor-analyses,Potassium supplementation isnt safe,
at least not KCl.

Last edited:
I had also problems with after supplementing with Vit. K (MK-4 from Thorne 2-4 drops orally) for a few days straight. Instead of trembles, I had am annoying muscle and tendon pain. Well, I quit K and they went away.
Now, I take Vit. K only a few times per week topically and feel fine (but I've upped my Ca too.)

I tend to agree with @Kingpinguin that either Ca or Mg imbalance may cause muscle spasms, in my experience and with @redsun that what you are feeling from K might be due to hypocalcemia.

Is topical administration percentage known?
How much is absorbed,care to take it oral?

Second for potassium. I tried to make muscle twitches go away with calcium and magnesium for so long and wondered why sometimes they seemed to help but other times they didn't. Eventually I tried taking a teaspoon of potassium chloride and the twitches went away and I have been able to replicate this whenever they come back.

Less NaCl will raise K availability indirectly,via lowered Cl-acidosis and reduced Potassium dumping.

increased Mg-Ca-to-Bone-utilization and downstream induced slight Potassium-deficiency?
mk4 ate up slightly your K?

Last edited:
To follow up my previous post, the twitching was minor and infrequent on day 3 and stopped entirely on day 4. I normally have two dairy heavy meals per day and didn't increase. I didn't have more than that one tablet of MK7.

Also related, I had cut my finger nails last week and they are long enough today to be cut again. MK7 seems to grow nails much more powerfully than MK4. In comparison, I'm not even sure MK4 has a perceivable effect on nail growth.

Elize

Which. Mk 7 product are you using and how often? Also trying to stop muscle twitching.

Thanks so much.

Elize

Which. Mk 7 product are you using and how often? Also trying to stop muscle twitching.

Thanks so much.

Elize

Phoenix Nutrition 500mcg mk7 tablets. This was the first tablet in months. I have used over 120 of these in the past. The next time I try will be on an ultra high dairy day to see if I can prevent the twitching with a constant supply of calcium and sugar.

The mk4 I use is Thorne liquid. This I now use only 3-6 drops per week (higher and more frequent doses in the past) depending on blood thinner and fat soluable vitamin intake.

Elize

Thanks. My twitching started after using magnesium. I guess it tanked my calcium levels. I currently only. take Tirosint-Sol and no supplements. Tried D3 got more twitching, palpitations and extreme body aches.

Thanks. My twitching started after using magnesium. I guess it tanked my calcium levels. I currently only. take Tirosint-Sol and no supplements. Tried D3 got more twitching, palpitations and extreme body aches.

My fantasy is as follows:~Excess dietary NaCl~Hyperchloremic Metabolic Acidosis~Increased necessary renal Bicarbonate Dumping~Increased Urinary-volume~Increased Urination~Mg loss~subsequent K loss~
~subsequent disordered Na-K Balance~Fasciculations(twitch)~also:watersoluble Vitamin loss~

TWITCHING FASCICULATIONS HYPO K HYPO Mg RENAL K LOSS EXCESS Na CHLOREMIC ACIDOSIS.JPG

Last edited:

sladerunner69

After supplementing mk4 for a few days (this is the only change) I started getting muscle twitches in my triceps and biceps.

These are small, trembles/spasms that can occur every few seconds, then stop for an hour, then start up again.

More of an annoyance than anything, but I want to know what the mechanism is here?

I tried supplementing magnesium in case k2 was somehow leading to it to be used up downstream.

No change after magnesium so far, although I could try supplementing more.

Any ideas of what else to try?

I get these too. I am thinking it is either GABA related, or low estrogen. I sometimes get twitches after taking tons of aspirin as well.

Jem Oz

Any updates on this issue? I'm currently getting muscle spasms/twitches/mini shocks in my arms and legs. They also feel like they're on the verge of cramping (though they never do). So many variables, hard to know what's off.

Jem Oz

Update: just after posting, I took 50 mg oral b1, tsp of coconut oil and 2mg transdermal k2, along with a casein and maple syrup smoothie.

Something in that list caused a huge feeling of calm across my body and the spasms/stabs to stop.

hope it holds

Which brand? What dose? How much calcium are you getting? I've been taking 15mg MK4 from Relentless Improvement along with a 2000-3000 of calcium a day for almost two months and I have never had that effect. I also take 300mg mag citrate and 4000 IU D3 every day. Also, are you active?
How did you get so much calcium?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals