Twilight Sedation Anesthesia with Propofol and Fentanyl - advice for before and after?

sunny

I am having a lipoma removed which is on my neck.
Because of location, doctor recommends twilight sedation which will be a combination of propofol and fentanyl.
I would prefer local anesthetic only, but not recommended because of location of lipoma.
In researching, I cannot come up with an alternative for the sedation, the above combination seems to be what is used for procedure in doctors office.
I don't see alot of side effects from the "typical medical advice" you find online.
Looking for opinions here- what would be best to do before and after such a procedure?
Thank you for any input.

akgrrrl

I refused complete sedation for a knee surgery, meniscus and some cleanup.Told the surgeon I wanted to watch him, so agreed to a benzo in iv. Watched the 18 minute procedure on the monitor without a care in the world, a painkiller for post surg. Went home before the painkiller came on, (40 mins) slept long til the next day. All good.

OP
S

sunny

I know I don't want to watch, lol. This won't be a complete sedation, and I would hate to move and the doctor have a whoopsie on my neck- yikes.

SOMO

RP has spoken about anesthesia before and he basically pointed out how even under general anesthesia, the body is aware it's being sliced open, so there is a psychological effect of being harmed that is unavoidable. The anesthesia is really for everyone's benefit - patient and doctor. I would go for the general anesthesia. If your anesthesia cocktail includes an opiate, I would definitely take something like Naltrexone (anti-opioid), aspirin and maybe MB to normalize the brain afterwards.

I had eye surgery recently utilizing partial sedation with Fentanyl (when the doctor told me I would be taking this opiod I got spooked and asked them if it's safe lol but it's basically a micro dose meant to relax my eyes) and a Benzo I believe. Using that, I was "awake" and could answer questions, but barely and I was on the border of consciousness, but I remember the procedure well.

OP
S

sunny

RP has spoken about anesthesia before and he basically pointed out how even under general anesthesia, the body is aware it's being sliced open, so there is a psychological effect of being harmed that is unavoidable. The anesthesia is really for everyone's benefit - patient and doctor. I would go for the general anesthesia. If your anesthesia cocktail includes an opiate, I would definitely take something like Naltrexone (anti-opioid), aspirin and maybe MB to normalize the brain afterwards.

I had eye surgery recently utilizing partial sedation with Fentanyl (when the doctor told me I would be taking this opiod I got spooked and asked them if it's safe lol but it's basically a micro dose meant to relax my eyes) and a Benzo I believe. Using that, I was "awake" and could answer questions, but barely and I was on the border of consciousness, but I remember the procedure well.
@SOMO thanks for that info. I listen to all the Ray Peat I can find and had not heard him talk about anesthesia. I agreed on the opiod also- when I asked the doctor what was in the twilight sedation and he said fentanyl I kind of freaked. Doctor said it would not be a problem, but it still freaks me. I have aspirin and will resume after procedure. I also have MB, so I will use that also.

akgrrrl

I know I don't want to watch, lol. This won't be a complete sedation, and I would hate to move and the doctor have a whoopsie on my neck- yikes.
You wont move. You will not care what is going on. You obviously cannot watch surgery on the neck.I watched with detached interest. Its only for some few minutes. Good luck.

koky

You wont move. You will not care what is going on. You obviously cannot watch surgery on the neck.I watched with detached interest. Its only for some few minutes. Good luck.how didyouprepare beforeand
You wont move. You will not care what is going on. You obviously cannot watch surgery on the neck.I watched with detached interest. Its only for some few minutes. Good luck.
how did you prepare before and after surgery- mine is for trn acland that i would need general anastheia

akgrrrl

I asked for pre-op face to face with my surgeon asking every question imaginable so he knew that I knew how it was supposed to go.

I also took a person with me as witness/advocate/observer.

They should give you instructions like dont eat so nausea is less of a problem.
Otherwise as mentioned here just be tip top in mind and body. I ate heavy the night before to assure a smooth regular BM at 6am, with strong chamomile tea and honey for sleep the night before.
And remember above all, its just a few minutes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals