Tweezing Stray Hairs

FrostedShores

I've looked around other sites, trying to find an answer to this issue, but no one seems to agree. Some sites say tweezing hairs will damage the hair follicle and, after tweezing the same hair enough times, the hair will no longer grow back. Some sites say the hair will still grow back, but it will be thinner, while others say it will grow back thicker. Still others claim that tweezing will increase blood flow in the area and actually cause EVEN MORE hair to grow.

So does anyone know what effect tweezing hairs has? Will it kill the hair? Cause more hair to grow? Does it depend on what part of the body the hair growing? I have some unwanted hairs that I'd like to just tweeze out and be done with, but if more hair grows back or the hair grows back thicker, then it kinda defeats the purpose...

ursidae

been tweezing eyebrows for 8 years now (unfortunate anatolian genetics)

has made no difference in thickness

GodsHound

I think inflammatory stimulation is more likely to increase pathological hair growth in some areas by increasing estrogen and cortisol. Ray has sited studies showing topical progesterone as effective treatment for women with facial hair.

ursidae

I think inflammatory stimulation is more likely to increase pathological hair growth in some areas by increasing estrogen and cortisol. Ray has sited studies showing topical progesterone as effective treatment for women with facial hair.
topical progesterone made things worse for me

OP
F

FrostedShores

been tweezing eyebrows for 8 years now (unfortunate anatolian genetics)

has made no difference in thickness
Thanks for the response. That's interesting you haven't noticed any difference. I don't mind tweezing every now and then; just don't want to wind up with more, thicker hair.

GodsHound

topical progesterone made things worse for me
That’s surprising, normally progesterone opposes the effect of androgens but perhaps it could raise their effects under within certain contexts - much like some guys here find moderate doses of progest-e to stimulate virility and libido, most likely by decreasing aromatisation. Perhaps this sudden decrease in aromatisation will allow the androgens to stay at a higher concentration, which could explain more androgenised hair growth. Perhaps it would be only temporary increase with prolonged treatment of progesterone.

OP
F

FrostedShores

Interesting. I haven't tried topical progesterone (I'm a man, btw). If inflammation at the site can cause issues, would applying an anti-inflammatory substance help? Topical aspirin, or maybe just witch hazel.

GodsHound

Interesting. I haven't tried topical progesterone (I'm a man, btw). If inflammation at the site can cause issues, would applying an anti-inflammatory substance help? Topical aspirin, or maybe just witch hazel.
Tweezing hairs no doubt will create local irritation/inflammatory which can be amplified by the presence of PUFA in the tissue and stimulate release of prostaglandins. Idk what effect all that has on hair growth, I think it would depend on what kind of hair it is and in what area, but topical aspirin seems like a very good idea if you do tweeze and probably a good idea for any hair growth disturbances anyway.

OP
F

FrostedShores

Tweezing hairs no doubt will create local irritation/inflammatory which can be amplified by the presence of PUFA in the tissue and stimulate release of prostaglandins. Idk what effect all that has on hair growth, I think it would depend on what kind of hair it is and in what area, but topical aspirin seems like a very good idea if you do tweeze and probably a good idea for any hair growth disturbances anyway.
Awesome. Thank you!

ursidae

How is that unfortunate? Thick eyebrows make a person look 10x better
unless this is your starting point:

KZ5QkpN4aoKjZJB5UgubDc4votpN9FJqk8iZJcPXJhw.jpg

xeliex

Forum Supporter
unless this is your starting point:

KZ5QkpN4aoKjZJB5UgubDc4votpN9FJqk8iZJcPXJhw.jpg
Haha, hilarious.
Where did you find my photo?
But in general yes, go flaunt your Anatolian genes!
I've known more people who struggle with the absence or scarcity eyebrows than those like us.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I've looked around other sites, trying to find an answer to this issue, but no one seems to agree. Some sites say tweezing hairs will damage the hair follicle and, after tweezing the same hair enough times, the hair will no longer grow back. Some sites say the hair will still grow back, but it will be thinner, while others say it will grow back thicker. Still others claim that tweezing will increase blood flow in the area and actually cause EVEN MORE hair to grow.

So does anyone know what effect tweezing hairs has? Will it kill the hair? Cause more hair to grow? Does it depend on what part of the body the hair growing? I have some unwanted hairs that I'd like to just tweeze out and be done with, but if more hair grows back or the hair grows back thicker, then it kinda defeats the purpose...
I have an ancient book that says hair growth can be controlled by applying certain substances after tweezing or waxing. This book recommended smashing ants into a sort of ant paste and applying it on the waxed area. Come to think of it, it might be the formic acid that they were after. There are other substances that can work as such. It might take time.

OP
F

FrostedShores

I have an ancient book that says hair growth can be controlled by applying certain substances after tweezing or waxing. This book recommended smashing ants into a sort of ant paste and applying it on the waxed area. Come to think of it, it might be the formic acid that they were after. There are other substances that can work as such. It might take time.
I'm not keen on smearing myself with smashed-up ants, but I will look into formic acid. Thank you!

Inaut

Can’t say this for sure (mostly anecdotal and more of a theory at this point) but I now suspect unwanted hair growth is caused by stagnant blood flow. Obviously hormones are a big part of it but I suspect they become an issue when stagnation sets in.