Tweaked Steak and eggs diet?

I want to try getting lean and the Steak and eggs diet seems to work for a lot of people. Of course this is zero carb so I have to tweak it. I would do steak and eggs with a glass of OJ every meal. As well as take gelatin and collagen. Also coffee in the morning with maple syrup. Anyone see any issues with doing this short term?

Eggs drop my blood sugar like crazy. A glass of oj isnt enough. Also oj with steak may increase iron absorption. There was a diet along time ago that involves steak and rice as I recall. And people said they lost a lot of weight on it.

Amazon product ASIN 1885236115

tankasnowgod

Also oj with steak may increase iron absorption.

It probably won't affect it. Vitamin C doesn't affect the absorption of heme iron, only non-heme. That idea also relies on single meal challenge studies. The one longer term study I saw having people consume vitamin C with meals over the course of 16 weeks didn't have any predictable affect on total body iron stores. Some increased, some decreased, others stayed about the same. In fact, the two participants in the study with the highest starting ferritin levels actually saw dramatic drops in ferritin.

lampofred

Your parathyroid hormone will go through the roof.

It probably won't affect it. Vitamin C doesn't affect the absorption of heme iron, only non-heme. That idea also relies on single meal challenge studies. The one longer term study I saw having people consume vitamin C with meals over the course of 16 weeks didn't have any predictable affect on total body iron stores. Some increased, some decreased, others stayed about the same. In fact, the two participants in the study with the highest starting ferritin levels actually saw dramatic drops in ferritin.

yes indeed. Thank you. I used the modifier “may”. I still would avoid combining high C foods with high iron foods.

meatbag

I want to try getting lean and the Steak and eggs diet seems to work for a lot of people. Of course this is zero carb so I have to tweak it. I would do steak and eggs with a glass of OJ every meal. As well as take gelatin and collagen. Also coffee in the morning with maple syrup. Anyone see any issues with doing this short term?
If you just want to loose bodyfat quickly just dont eat any fat

skim milk
gelatin powder
fat free milk powder
white sugar
orange juice/forzen concentrate
apple sauce
occasional liver

you can mix skim milk gelatin powder milk and sugar with a handmixer and add fruits or vanilla its really good
Also you can make skim milk coffe con leche (instant coffee, skim milk, sugar) you can also use this to make a gelatin dessert

P

Peatness

If you just want to loose bodyfat quickly just dont eat any fat

skim milk
gelatin powder
fat free milk powder
white sugar
orange juice/forzen concentrate
apple sauce
occasional liver

you can mix skim milk gelatin powder milk and sugar with a handmixer and add fruits or vanilla its really good
Also you can make skim milk coffe con leche (instant coffee, skim milk, sugar) you can also use this to make a gelatin dessert
Would this include avoiding coconut oil?

Hans

Forum Supporter
You'll need some calcium, so if you can grind the eggshells, then that's an easy way to increase calcium. Also, it would be better if you can have more than 1 cup of OJ per meal. You can always add honey to each meal, whole fruit and fruit juice. Many studies show that honey doesn't lead to weight gain and is actually equal to the group that didn't receive any carbs. So despite eating more calories, those animals that got honey stayed the same weight as the ones without honey or sugar.

So all together, more carbs (fructose glucose blend) and calcium will do the trick. At least a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs and if you can, slightly higher carbs.

CreakyJoints

I've been thinking about this and whether to have/avoid Methylene Blue as well, if you have a lot of iron in your diet. Would be curious to hear what you have to say on this also, @Hans, since you've mentioned combining MB and ascorbic acid in another thread I've seen. I presume supplementing both would result in more of leucomethylene blue, and therefore there is possibly some benefit - but it would be dose dependent, and the reduced form would be preferable?

PubChem:
Methylene blue can be reduced to a colorless form, leukomethylene blue; together, these compounds form a reversible oxidation-reduction system. In low concentrations, methylene blue accelerates conversion of methemoglobin to hemoglobin. In patients with methemoglobinemia, methylene blue is reduced to leukomethylene blue by methemoglobin reductases in erythrocytes; leukomethylene blue then reduces methemoglobin to hemoglobin. In high concentrations, methylene blue oxidizes the ferrous iron of reduced hemoglobin to the ferric state, thereby changing hemoglobin to methemoglobin.

tankasnowgod

I've been thinking about this and whether to have/avoid Methylene Blue as well, if you have a lot of iron in your diet. Would be curious to hear what you have to say on this also, @Hans, since you've mentioned combining MB and ascorbic acid in another thread I've seen. I presume supplementing both would result in more of leucomethylene blue, and therefore there is possibly some benefit - but it would be dose dependent, and the reduced form would be preferable?

I think the ways most people get a lot of iron are avoided by following most of Peat's recommendations.

People think Red Meat is the highest source of iron, and maybe it was with more traditional diets. But even if you were eating two pounds of steak a day, you would be getting 24mg of iron.

While that is more than the RDA, you can blow that number away simply by eating a bowl of cereal. 100 grams of Total cereal has 60mg of iron....... more than double what you get when you eat a kilogram of steak! Total is far and away the highest iron content for food, but other cereals can also be pretty high..... 100 grams of Special K has 27mg (again, a bit more than a kilogram of steak), 100 grams of corn flakes 29mg. The other way people get a lot of iron is with supplements, mostly traditional multivitamins, that include 18 mg of iron. Of course, iron supplements would be higher.

I don't know if there would be much concern, maybe just avoid taking MB near meals where you eat beef or lamb. The biggest concern would be if you took MB near supplemental forms of iron, like in vitamins, breads and cereals, but if you are generally following Peat's ideas on diet, you would be avoiding most of those foods, anyway.

Milk and eggs are both very low iron foods, and both contain elements (like lactoferrin) than bind iron, and also block it's absorption.

CreakyJoints

An informative post.

Thank you for this. I personally avoid anything fortified with iron, but oxtail and liver are very much staples for me. I'm wondering at what point it would become a concern if one wanted to have MB and AA together - perhaps it's worth ensuring all the MB is reduced before consumption to be on the safe side. How long after an iron-heavy meal is a sufficient wait, too? I'm afraid I don't know much about it. I did, at one point, unwittingly take some tablets that were rich in Iron at the same time as MB/AA - I presume no long-lasting harm was done, but it's good to know so I can avoid it in future.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals