TSH GREATER THAN 9 after levothyroxine why?

GorillaHead

Hey y’all.

My mother about 2 years ago started on thyroid medication when her tsh was around 4. But now after being on medication her tsh went up like crazy.

Any ideas?

P

Peatness

I wonder if she is converting it to rt3. Here are some quotes of Peat taking about t4

And in women, the natural predominance of estrogen, compared to men… In women it is limiting their liver’s ability to convert t4 to t3. And so women almost always have a very limited inadequate reaction to t4. Increasing the dose can interfere when it reaches a certain excess. It can begin to displace t3 and have a suppressive effect.

''''''''''''''
There’s almost no context in which I would speak of “an appropriate dose of T4,” since thyroxin is so effective as an anti-thyroid substance. It’s appropriate if you are also taking T3, or if you want to shrink your thyroid. Thyroid will dependably correct your pregnenolone production, if you have enough cholesterol, vitamin A, and protein. The cholesterol will be consumed to make pregnenolone and progesterone and bile acids. If cholesterol is below 160, fruit sugar helps to raise it. The protein is needed to detoxify estrogen, unsaturated oils, etc, and to maintain the T3. Protein deficiency gives anti-thyroid signals, and T4 will be used to make reverse T3 to inhibit T3’s effects. About 3 mcg of T3 especially if it’s taken with milk or gelatine-rich salty soup is effective for stopping the nocturnal alarm reaction.

The liver has to convert T4 to T3 for it to be effective. It needs glucose and selenium to make the conversion. Adequate protein, at least 80 grams per day, is necessary. Sea food, once a week will provide selenium, two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice would provide many of the other essential nutrients. Taking T4 at bedtime sometimes is helpful. Most people feel best on a ratio of T4:T3 of 4:1 or less. Checking the relaxation rate of the Achilles reflex is a quick way to check the effect of the thyroid on your nerves and muscles; the relaxation should be instantaneous, loose and floppy.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I wonder if she is converting it to rt3. Here are some quotes of Peat taking about t4

And in women, the natural predominance of estrogen, compared to men… In women it is limiting their liver’s ability to convert t4 to t3. And so women almost always have a very limited inadequate reaction to t4. Increasing the dose can interfere when it reaches a certain excess. It can begin to displace t3 and have a suppressive effect.

''''''''''''''
There’s almost no context in which I would speak of “an appropriate dose of T4,” since thyroxin is so effective as an anti-thyroid substance. It’s appropriate if you are also taking T3, or if you want to shrink your thyroid. Thyroid will dependably correct your pregnenolone production, if you have enough cholesterol, vitamin A, and protein. The cholesterol will be consumed to make pregnenolone and progesterone and bile acids. If cholesterol is below 160, fruit sugar helps to raise it. The protein is needed to detoxify estrogen, unsaturated oils, etc, and to maintain the T3. Protein deficiency gives anti-thyroid signals, and T4 will be used to make reverse T3 to inhibit T3’s effects. About 3 mcg of T3 especially if it’s taken with milk or gelatine-rich salty soup is effective for stopping the nocturnal alarm reaction.

The liver has to convert T4 to T3 for it to be effective. It needs glucose and selenium to make the conversion. Adequate protein, at least 80 grams per day, is necessary. Sea food, once a week will provide selenium, two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice would provide many of the other essential nutrients. Taking T4 at bedtime sometimes is helpful. Most people feel best on a ratio of T4:T3 of 4:1 or less. Checking the relaxation rate of the Achilles reflex is a quick way to check the effect of the thyroid on your nerves and muscles; the relaxation should be instantaneous, loose and floppy.
So I should have get an rt3 test to get a better idea of what is going on.

Vileplume

So I should have get an rt3 test to get a better idea of what is going on.
To see if the thyroid is working, it would also help to track her cholesterol (which should go down on thyroid) and temp (should come up).

Neeters 27

here in Canada they stopped offering reverse t3 altogether, the only place you can get that is if you are admitted to hospital for surgery. I dont know how old your mum is, but I would think switching to NDT is always much better for a woman. now if she has other health issues, she may not be able to tolerate it or a high enough dose of it. a Naturopath can prescribe NDT in Canada. if you are in USA, any fuctional med doc will. family GP's usually dont and rely on synthetic T4, which doesnt work for many people. also she may have absorption issues, and her T4 or NDT should be chewed well before swallowing. the addition of Progesterone via a cream no RX required, also helps with thyroid conversion. if your mom is 80 or older, they wont do anything to help her. that's the way it is. once youre 80, they fluff you off and let you suffer.