TSH going UP from Peating??

FredSonoma

I started Peating at the end of June. From bloodwork, my TSH was 1.6. Just got bloodwork a few weeks ago and my TSH is 3.5!!!!! I undoubtedly feel MUCH better right now. But i'm still kind of worried about this result.

I have been very strict about it - no vegetable oil, no starch, generally low fat, lots of milk / OJ / sugar / gelatin / liver once a week.

Edit: ALSO - completely forgot about this, but during the first bloodwork I was in the middle of a 20 day fast :? :? so I'm thinking maybe that could have completely messed it up.

BastiFuntasty

while I was fasting my TSH was damn low, I think it was 0.25. now since I am peating it is above 2.
I do remember peat saying something about during fasting tsh can be very low and furthermore that low tsh is not always is marker for good thyroid health. possibly the 3.5 was your normal range and it was just that low due to your fasting period?

furthermore I would say give your metabolism more time to come up. 20 days o fasting is a pretty long time.

OP
F

FredSonoma

BastiFuntasty said:
post 112066 while I was fasting my TSH was damn low, I think it was 0.25. now since I am peating it is above 2.
I do remember peat saying something about during fasting tsh can be very low and furthermore that low tsh is not always is marker for good thyroid health. possibly the 3.5 was your normal range and it was just that low due to your fasting period?

furthermore I would say give your metabolism more time to come up. 20 days o fasting is a pretty long time.

Okay that makes sense! Yeah I think I kinda freaked out when I saw the results and didn't really think it through haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
I started Peating at the end of June. From bloodwork, my TSH was 1.6. Just got bloodwork a few weeks ago and my TSH is 3.5!!!!! I undoubtedly feel MUCH better right now. But i'm still kind of worried about this result.

I have been very strict about it - no vegetable oil, no starch, generally low fat, lots of milk / OJ / sugar / gelatin / liver once a week.

Edit: ALSO - completely forgot about this, but during the first bloodwork I was in the middle of a 20 day fast :? :? so I'm thinking maybe that could have completely messed it up.

So you're saying you didn't eat anything for 20 days? Is that really the case?

Mittir

RP mentioned that stress can lower TSH and conversion of T4 to T3.
Lowered TSH during fasting can explain that.

Parsifal

Mittir said:
post 112072 RP mentioned that stress can lower TSH and conversion of T4 to T3.
Lowered TSH during fasting can explain that.
He said that is TSH is going up, not lowering...

BTW isn't fasting opposed to Peat's principles (aka very bad for metabolism and useless)?

Agent207

BastiFuntasty said:

Its the opposite actually.

"Early morning fasting serum TSH levels were compared to late morning non-fasting serum TSH levels in the same patients on the same day The late morning non-fasting TSH tests declined in 97 of 100 subjects by an average of 26.39% when compared to early morning, fasting, TSH test results."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15471172

"TSH levels showed a statistically significant decline postprandially in comparison to fasting values. This may have clinical implications in the diagnosis and management of hypothyroidism, especially SCH."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4171896/

Daimyo

BastiFuntasty said:
post 112083 How to explain low tsh during fasting?

Majority of people living in the West get much more sun in June than in November/December. Sunlight increase metabolism, so your TSH might have been lower then. Nutrition is important, but lack of light is a big no-no.

BastiFuntasty

Daimyo said:
post 112089
BastiFuntasty said:

Majority of people living in the West get much more sun in June than in November/December. Sunlight increase metabolism, so your TSH might have been lower then. Nutrition is important, but lack of light is a big no-no.

my tsh test was from january in the deepest winter two years ago, at the end of a one week fasting cure. and I can tell ya it was so damn low.

Giraffe

BastiFuntasty said:
During (prolonged) fasting you rely on stress hormones for energy supply. As soon as the blood sugar gets low adrenaline and cortisol raise, it's their job to keep the blood sugar stable in emergency situations. These stress hormones downregulate TSH.

Peat and the herb doctors discussed TSH and stress hormones around the 44 minutes mark.
KMUD: 10-16-15 Current Trends on Nitric Oxide

BastiFuntasty

Giraffe said:
post 112095
BastiFuntasty said:
During (prolonged) fasting you rely on stress hormones for energy supply. As soon as the blood sugar gets low adrenaline and cortisol raise, it's their job to keep the blood sugar stable in emergency situations. These stress hormones downregulate TSH.

Peat and the herb doctors discussed TSH and stress hormones around the 44 minutes mark.
KMUD: 10-16-15 Current Trends on Nitric Oxide
Thank you Giraffe, that was the one answer we needed :thumbup

OP
F

FredSonoma

answersfound said:
post 112071
FredSonoma said:

So you're saying you didn't eat anything for 20 days? Is that really the case?

Yep, during the fast I found Ray Peat and thats when I decided to Peat, going into my fast I was originally gonna imitate the Okinawan diet afterwards lol

tomisonbottom

FredSonoma said:
post 112064 I started Peating at the end of June. From bloodwork, my TSH was 1.6. Just got bloodwork a few weeks ago and my TSH is 3.5!!!!! I undoubtedly feel MUCH better right now. But i'm still kind of worried about this result.

Same thing happened to me....My TSH is VERY high right now and I'm trying to figure it out. I was taking T3 and the stopped this last week before I got lab work because I was hoping that would give me more accurate measurements. Do you know how quickly something like TSH can change?
Because mine is higher after trying to eat ray peat style for the last couple years, than it was in 2013. But I'm wondering if it would have been much lower if I'd gotten tested while taking t3?