TSH 0.76 but have long list of hypothyroid symptoms

OP
R

Rosajo

Morning and afternoon cortisol, SDHEA, estradiol, testosterone...
SDHEA was 278, estradiol 31 but I tested 5 days after the start of my period. My osteopath said I should test it on day 21 of cycle. I have yet to test testosterone and cortisol. The latter is a saliva test?

OP
R

Rosajo

first off, I am no doctor, but I will say your not eating anything with iron so that leads to anemia. why arent you eating red meat? if your iron is so low your thyroid wont work! nothing will. take Feramax or polysaccharide iron complex. you will feel better in 2 weeks!

this is a horrible diet by the way. its all white food! eat meat and green veg, are you male or female? age? if you are in or near menopause I would look at sex hormone replacement for certain. what is your blood sugar like? shrimp dont have any iron really and its not clean protein...
Why feramax or polysaccharide complex? I'm taking heme iron polypeptide currently and I'm definitely feeling the effect but I'm open to alternatives if they're even better.
I stopped eating red meat 10 years ago because it caused horrible indigestion and I stopped enjoying the taste. I did eat it at a restaurant like 4 years ago and it tasted great though so maybe I just don't know how to pick the best cuts/prepare it right. I hate the "dark" taste.
Before I got sick two months ago I was eating more variety. The most difficult thing with this bout of illness has been my intestines, hence the return to all white foods.
I love green vegetables, esp kale but last I had it the greens basically went right through me so I'm not sure if they're just causing inflammation. I've trie digestive enzymes but they caused more diarrhea. I'm not sure what's going to help my digestion - it's been a major problem since I was 3 years old.
I'd prefer to stick to seafood for the time being. I've read clams and oysters are high iron foods. I've also considered getting frozen bovine blood; I grew up eating blood pudding.
I'm female, 44.
My blood sugar, recently, was 99 at the clinic (sort of semi-fasting, had had some yogurt before), and 129 two weeks later, 1-2 hours after lunch. I've had blood sugar issues for a long time, I get hungry quickly and deal with it poorly.

OP
R

Rosajo

Also, vitamin D3 supplementation take at least 5000 a day for a few months or get your doctor to give you injections. even with 5000 a day it takes several months to bring levels up. remember that being out in hot sun near equator for 15 or 20 mins would give you at least 10,000 a day. orally 5000 is not too much! maybe your gut bacteria is bad too, considering you dont eat much of variety.
I was at 0 eight years ago and was able to bring it up to 34 next time I tested on 1,200 a day plus daily sun exposure, but yes, I'm considering 5000. Fortunately the sun is returning next week. Is there a good brand you'd recommend? I'm taking Carlson baby drops

OP
R

Rosajo

I forgot to mention I also drink pear/passionfruit juice, maybe half a quart a day . Typically more like a quart but since I got sick I can't handle/don't need as much. I'm hoping I can handle OJ at some point but it causes me hot flashes, just like peach juice.

Z

Zsazsa

I'm female, 44.
It is possible you are having perimenopausal symptoms
My blood sugar, recently, was 99 at the clinic (sort of semi-fasting, had had some yogurt before), and 129 two weeks later, 1-2 hours after lunch. I've had blood sugar issues for a long time, I get hungry quickly and deal with it poorly.
Only by addressing this one issue you could solve at least 60% of your problems
Good to know, thank you. Do you agree that T3 is a better indicator?
After years of monitoring my own results, I find T3 is the least important one. In my particular case I found T4 and FT3 the most relevant ones. And from your results, I don't think you should worry about thyroid.

My :2cents:

mostlylurking

I'm new here and not sure where to start... I got really sick with exhaustion two months ago and have a long history of these episodes, they come every few years. A lot of stress build-up - went overseas to visit my dying father in November, came back to a deathly ill husband and promptly got sick myself with COVID. Almost lost my husband, we recovered, then my father died and I started doing gig work which was hugely stressful. Then I injured myself and within a few days I became "non-functional". Extreme anxiety, difficulty walking, insomnia, very inflamed bowels, severe fatigue.
About five weeks later I started improving slowly. At this time I had started eating a lot of wild shrimp, upped my vitamin D from 400 IU daily to 800 IU (I'm now up to 1600 as of today), but also going back to taking 10 mg of paroxetine instead of 5 mg (I had cut my dose last in early fall 2021). I do feel the vit D was a game changer. It immediately caused me to feel a bit "jacked up" which is why I had resisted increasing my dose earlier, but that feeling faded after a week or two and I had more energy.
Just a few days after that I got some lab results back which indeed showed low vit D at 20. Eight years ago I was even sicker, and it was then 3. It also showed a ferritin of 5 so I began taking iron (proferrin "heme" iron). My diet has been very low in iron for the past 10 years so I do believe it's a real deficiency. It started working pretty much immediately. I take 20 mg daily.
The thyroid panel could not be fully completed because of the lab I picked in town (not many choices available): TSH 0.76, T4 Free 1.2 and T3 Free 3.0. Antibodies less than 1. Hopefully I can get T4 and T3 with RT3 done soon.
There were a lot more labs done so let me know if you want to see the rest of it. Now I was much sicker when I had them done than I am now but it was recently done.
I had my first consultation yesterday with the osteopathic "integrative" doctor who ordered the labs and he thought my labs looked good overall, though with clear markers of high cortisol, and that I don't need any thyroid medication. If true, that's great, but I'm confused because all my life I've suffered from a long list of hypothyroid symptoms so I wonder what do I do now? Trying to figure this all out is causing so much stress. Like today I decided to start Progest-E using the directions on the website and I felt fine the first 3 drop dose in the morning but after the second dose I had panic, depression, crying then laughing, crying again. So I'm not taking anymore of that. I did read here in the forums about low vit D causing problems with progesterone.
I'd like to offer that it may be that another issue is blocking your mitochondrial function. A common issue that blocks mitochondrial function is thiamine deficiency. When this happened to me, it gave me severe hypothyroid symptoms AND dangerously high free T3 simultaneously. My endocrinologist cut my long time dosage of natural desiccated thyroid prescription by 25% because of the high T3.

Because thyroid hormone deficiency and thiamine deficiency each block mitochondrial function (specifically the production of cell energy, aka ATP), these two issues have many of the same symptoms. If you are symptomatic and your thyroid tests show your thyroid function is working, you might consider looking into thiamine deficiency.

The consumption of sugar and starch uses up the available thiamine. Coffee and tea both block thiamine function. Here's a basic overview of thiamine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjVXFqiPDwE

Here's an article about thiamine: A Review of the Biochemistry, Metabolism and Clinical Benefits of Thiamin(e) and Its Derivatives

Years ago my vitamin D always tested at 20 or below, even with supplementing 2000iu/day. About 18 months ago, Ray Peat suggested I take 10,000iu (2 drops of 5,000iu, under the tongue every morning). My recent blood test shows my D at 65 (finally normal).

Orange juice has a lot of redeeming virtues like potassium, naringin and naringinin. The other juices (except the guava) aren't doing much good and are using up thiamine. If the acid in the orange juice bothers you, you can add a pinch of baking soda to it to cut the acid.

I hope you find this helpful.

OP
R

Rosajo

After years of monitoring my own results, I find T3 is the least important one. In my particular case I found T4 and FT3 the most relevant ones. And from your results, I don't think you should worry about thyroid.

My :2cents:
Please tell me how to solve my blood sugar issue.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rosajo

I'd like to offer that it may be that another issue is blocking your mitochondrial function. A common issue that blocks mitochondrial function is thiamine deficiency. When this happened to me, it gave me severe hypothyroid symptoms AND dangerously high free T3 simultaneously. My endocrinologist cut my long time dosage of natural desiccated thyroid prescription by 25% because of the high T3.

Because thyroid hormone deficiency and thiamine deficiency each block mitochondrial function (specifically the production of cell energy, aka ATP), these two issues have many of the same symptoms. If you are symptomatic and your thyroid tests show your thyroid function is working, you might consider looking into thiamine deficiency.

The consumption of sugar and starch uses up the available thiamine. Coffee and tea both block thiamine function. Here's a basic overview of thiamine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjVXFqiPDwE

Here's an article about thiamine: A Review of the Biochemistry, Metabolism and Clinical Benefits of Thiamin(e) and Its Derivatives

Years ago my vitamin D always tested at 20 or below, even with supplementing 2000iu/day. About 18 months ago, Ray Peat suggested I take 10,000iu (2 drops of 5,000iu, under the tongue every morning). My recent blood test shows my D at 65 (finally normal).

Orange juice has a lot of redeeming virtues like potassium, naringin and naringinin. The other juices (except the guava) aren't doing much good and are using up thiamine. If the acid in the orange juice bothers you, you can add a pinch of baking soda to it to cut the acid.

I hope you find this helpful.

What brand vit D do you get and thiamine? Thank you!!

mostlylurking

Thiamine deficiency can cause high blood sugar. So can free fatty acids in the blood. Your body needs thiamine to burn sugar so it will help clear high blood sugar. Free fatty acids in the blood block the cells from burning sugar. Niacinamide can keep fatty acids from becoming free which helps keep the level of free fatty acids low. When the fatty acids are lowered in the blood the cells will burn sugar again, assuming there is a supply of thiamine.

links:
also:

I realize that some of the ideas that Dr. Lonsdale proposes seem to contradict the interpretation of what Ray Peat says about sugar. I think that there is some confusion regarding how much sugar Ray actually suggests consuming. He has said that a good healthy amount of sugar for a day's eating is that which is in 2 quarts of milk plus a quart of orange juice. He considers that these two foods are very nutritious which makes them good choices for a large portion of the diet. These two brilliant people have very different opinions about fructose.

Here's a collection of Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: Ray Peat On Vitamin B1 - Thiamine

OP
R

Rosajo

Thiamine deficiency can cause high blood sugar. So can free fatty acids in the blood. Your body needs thiamine to burn sugar so it will help clear high blood sugar. Free fatty acids in the blood block the cells from burning sugar. Niacinamide can keep fatty acids from becoming free which helps keep the level of free fatty acids low. When the fatty acids are lowered in the blood the cells will burn sugar again, assuming there is a supply of thiamine.

links:
also:

I realize that some of the ideas that Dr. Lonsdale proposes seem to contradict the interpretation of what Ray Peat says about sugar. I think that there is some confusion regarding how much sugar Ray actually suggests consuming. He has said that a good healthy amount of sugar for a day's eating is that which is in 2 quarts of milk plus a quart of orange juice. He considers that these two foods are very nutritious which makes them good choices for a large portion of the diet. These two brilliant people have very different opinions about fructose.

Here's a collection of Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: Ray Peat On Vitamin B1 - Thiamine
I had some B1 pills laying around and took 25 mg after lunch. It's not much I understand but I did feel a wee bit more stable. I had crying spells all morning.

mostlylurking

Thanks! You take 250 g a day?
No, I take 2 grams/day. I'm following Dr. Costantini's protocol here: HDT Therapy I've been doing 2 grams/day for about 14 months. I spent 3 months titrating up to that high a dose beforehand. I was pretty sick. Now I'm doing very well; I'm able to work in my garden again.

Z

Zsazsa

I suggest the Instagram profile @glucosegoddess for hacking tips, but in your case I would take glycemic index and glycemic load very seriously.

mostlylurking

I had some B1 pills laying around and took 25 mg after lunch. It's not much I understand but I did feel a wee bit more stable. I had crying spells all morning.
Be sure to take thiamine with water, not juice as the sugar in the juice will cancel out the effect. Thiamine will clear serotonin out of the brain; serotonin is not the "happy hormone".
link: Serotonin Syndrome and Thiamine: Is There a Connection? - Hormones Matter
and

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals