Tryptophan reach food

Galia

Okay, I wonder, parmesan has a lot of tryptophan, more than beef, and Ray recommends eating parmesan?
Tryptophan is directly related to serotonin, but it is everywhere, what protein is left to eat, milk and eggs are rich and they are tryptophan too.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Only 2% of tryptophan is used to create serotonin. People usually take like 1-2g for sleep.
Other than being used to create serotonin, tryptophan is used to create NAD. NAD is a cofactor for tyrosine hydroxylase, the rate-limited step in dopamine synthesis.
So by providing tyrosine as well (which cheese is high in), will lead to more dopamine synthesis than only using tyrosine alone. Complete food sources are the best and I don't think we have to worry about the amount of tryptophan in food. It's the ratio of dopamine to serotonin that matters more.

Perry Staltic

Tryptophan is also synthesized to melatonin. This gives me a great idea. Sometimes I wake up after only 4 hours of sleep and can't go back to sleep. Last night it happened and I had the bright idea to eat something to see if it would make me sleepy. Worked like a charm. Next time I will eat some parmesan.

OP
Galia

Galia

Only 2% of tryptophan is used to create serotonin. People usually take like 1-2g for sleep.
Other than being used to create serotonin, tryptophan is used to create NAD. NAD is a cofactor for tyrosine hydroxylase, the rate-limited step in dopamine synthesis.
So by providing tyrosine as well (which cheese is high in), will lead to more dopamine synthesis than only using tyrosine alone. Complete food sources are the best and I don't think we have to worry about the amount of tryptophan in food. It's the ratio of dopamine to serotonin that matters more.
there must always be a way to control serotonin through food, cyproheptadine cannot be taken constantly, obviously under severe stress serotonin rises, with it cortisol and insulin for luxury, I've been at Ray Pete for 3 years, I've read all your articles on serotonin, but stress is sometimes hard to control, we live in difficult times.....

Hans

Forum Supporter
there must always be a way to control serotonin through food, cyproheptadine cannot be taken constantly, obviously under severe stress serotonin rises, with it cortisol and insulin for luxury, I've been at Ray Pete for 3 years, I've read all your articles on serotonin, but stress is sometimes hard to control, we live in difficult times.....
Doing dopaminergic things will probably help the most to keep the ratio optimal. So exercise, slow nose breathing, sunlight, good posture, good thoughts, etc., will help a lot.