Tryptophan Is Underrated, And Causes Most Issues

achillies

Even in milk, eggs.

I have become convinced that tryptophan is the number cause of most health issues.

1) It started a few weeks ago when I started eating a bunch of gelatin like 2-3tbs after each protein meal. 5x a day.
Immediately I felt better, metabolism went up, anxiety down, and I almost quit nicotine over night.

Today from 8am-4pm I had nothing but Casein powder(naked) and gelatin. No eggs, milk, meat
I have never had a more clear head in my entire life. I also had Zero fatigue and desire for nicotine. My productivity was way up.

Around 4pm I had leftover meat I suddenly could barely focus an hour later, found my self picking up tobacco dip on the way home.

Is it impractical to live off of the following to cover protein?
1) Casein Powder
2) Gelatin

with the Occasional liver/ eggs/ glass of milk

LeeLemonoil

Tryptophan and Kynurenic Acid May Produce an Amplified Effect in Central Fatigue Induced by Chronic Sleep Disorder

Tryptophan and Kynurenic Acid May Produce an Amplified Effect in Central Fatigue Induced by Chronic Sleep Disorder

Abstract
Tryptophan (TRP) and its neuroactive metabolite, kynurenic acid (KYNA), are thought to play key roles in central fatigue, but the specifics are still unknown. To clarify their roles in the brain, we developed a rat model of central fatigue induced by chronic sleep disorder (CFSD) by disturbing the sleep-wake cycle. Results showed that while 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) concentration did not differ between control and CFSD groups, levels of TRP and KYNA in the CFSD group were about 2 and 5 times higher in the hypothalamus, and 2 and 3.5 times higher in the hippocampus, respectively. Moreover, CFSD-induced fatigue led to abnormal running performance (via treadmill test) and social interaction (via social-interaction test). These results support a TRP-KYNA hypothesis in central fatigue in which increased TRP concentration in the brain and subsequently synthesized KYNA may produce an amplified effect on central fatigue, with enhanced concentrations being a possible mechanism by which social-interaction deficits are generated.

Studies have reported that an increase in plasma concentration of free tryptophan (TRP) can result in postoperative or exercise-induced fatigue in human and rats.710 This leads to increased passage of TRP in the brain through the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and thus higher levels of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) in the brain, which is theorized to cause central fatigue (5-HT hypothesis

LeeLemonoil

This reads like KYNA acts in a similar vein as cortisol:

Kynurenic Acid: The Janus-Faced Role of an Immunomodulatory Tryptophan Metabolite and Its Link to Pathological Conditions

Kynurenic Acid: The Janus-Faced Role of an Immunomodulatory Tryptophan Metabolite and Its Link to Pathological Conditions

Abstract
Tryptophan metabolites are known to participate in the regulation of many cells of the immune system and are involved in various immune-mediated diseases and disorders. Kynurenic acid (KYNA) is a product of one branch of the kynurenine pathway of tryptophan metabolism. The influence of KYNA on important neurophysiological and neuropathological processes has been comprehensively documented. In recent years, the link of KYNA to the immune system, inflammation, and cancer has become more apparent. Given this connection, the anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive functions of KYNA are of particular interest. These characteristics might allow KYNA to act as a “double-edged sword.” The metabolite contributes to both the resolution of inflammation and the establishment of an immunosuppressive environment, which, for instance, allows for tumor immune escape. Our review provides a comprehensive update of the significant biological functions of KYNA and focuses on its immunomodulatory properties by signaling via G-protein-coupled receptor 35 (GPR35)- and aryl hydrocarbon receptor-mediated pathways. Furthermore, we discuss the role of KYNA–GPR35 interaction and microbiota associated KYNA metabolism for gut homeostasis.

vulture

Pretty interesting info. Sadly living on casein and gelatin as protein sources might be too expensive

lvysaur

Around 4pm I had leftover meat I suddenly could barely focus an hour later, found my self picking up tobacco dip on the way home.
I know it's politically incorrect for some, but I think there are periods when one should be vegetarian.

I only eat meat when I absolutely crave it and can feel my stomach acid gurgling for it.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

When you start to look at Tryptophan content of foods (compared to other Amino Acids), Cow's Milk and Egg Whites contain some of the highest amounts. There is significantly less tryptophan in cheese, and yogurt and cottage cheese look a lot lower as well (apparently, quite a bit of tryptophan is lost in the whey). Also, goat's milk does not appear to be as high in tryptophan.

A lot of beef products seem quite low in Tryptophan, when compared to the amount of BCAAs, Phenylalanine, and Tyrosine they contain. They also seem to contain quite a bit of Lysine, which also seems to be anti-serotonin.

Cirion

Tryptophan is only really a problem in the presence of a poor metabolism. Though, the same can be said of many things. RP has said after all "in the absence of good metabolism, anything can be dangerous".

It can also be neutralized even with a poor metabolism with sufficient additional sugar intake.

tankasnowgod

Tryptophan is only really a problem in the presence of a poor metabolism. Though, the same can be said of many things. RP has said after all "in the absence of good metabolism, anything can be dangerous".

It can also be neutralized even with a poor metabolism with sufficient additional sugar intake.

This may be true, but it could be the reason why regular cow's milk seems to cause problems for so many.

Vinero

Yes, I agree tryptophan is a really bad amino acid. That's why you should either use gelatin or BCAAs with your milk, meat and eggs.
I use 6 grams of BCAA after each meal. The difference in mental clarity and energy is significant compared to just eating protein without BCAA.

tankasnowgod

Yes, I agree tryptophan is a really bad amino acid. That's why you should either use gelatin or BCAAs with your milk, meat and eggs.
I use 6 grams of BCAA after each meal. The difference in mental clarity and energy is significant compared to just eating protein without BCAA.

Most cuts of beef have significantly less Tryptophan than Cow's Milk. It's still not a bad idea. but Milk is one of the richest sources of Tryptophan compared to the other AA. Eggs fairly high too.

Vinero

Most cuts of beef have significantly less Tryptophan than Cow's Milk. It's still not a bad idea. but Milk is one of the richest sources of Tryptophan compared to the other AA. Eggs fairly high too.
Yes but beef is one of the richest sources of iron, while milk is deficient in iron. So beef is not a good protein source in high amounts.

tankasnowgod

Yes but beef is one of the richest sources of iron, while milk is deficient in iron. So beef is not a good protein source in high amounts.

It's fairly easy to monitor and and maintain near deficiency levels of iron even while eating significant amounts of red meat. The iron in meat is one of the safest forms, as well. Supplemental iron and iron in fortification is problematic on it's own, even without elevated body iron stores.

Cirion

Not to slightly derail the thread, but why exactly does RP and so many here have so many issues with iron? According to Chris Masterjohn, its next to impossible to get too much iron in your body, at least from natural foods like beef. Even if you have a genetic condition which sets you up for iron overload, you can eat as much iron containing foods as you want and maybe just have to donate blood once a year (Chris has this condition, yet he eats as much iron containing foods as he desires with no issues whatsoever).

I guess the only thing I can figure is that people are still messed up from years of eating iron fortified cereals/wheat etc?

There appears to be so much phobia of Iron around this community that I wonder if a lot of people aren't actually deficient (There was one forum member here that brought his Test levels from 100-1000, and he actually recommended supplementing Iron, not avoiding it) and confusing their symptoms for deficiency not overload?

According to that guy, if you supplemented other minerals like Zinc, Copper etc, that can actually bring Iron levels down, on top of actively avoiding Iron containing foods, could easily make you deficient actually.

Personally I am of the mind that neither supplementation nor avoidance should really be done unless you have blood tests that can clearly show either deficiency or overload.

tankasnowgod

Not to slightly derail the thread, but why exactly does RP and so many here have so many issues with iron? According to Chris Masterjohn, its next to impossible to get too much iron in your body, at least from natural foods like beef. Even if you have a genetic condition which sets you up for iron overload, you can eat as much iron containing foods as you want and maybe just have to donate blood once a year (Chris has this condition, yet he eats as much iron containing foods as he desires with no issues whatsoever).

I guess the only thing I can figure is that people are still messed up from years of eating iron fortified cereals/wheat etc?

Well, iron consumption is at one of it's highest points in the last 100 years. A lot of that is due to supplements and fortification. They certainly have their own issues, and no doubt are putting unnecessary iron burden on the body.

I'm not sure if Masterjohn is correct on this, or not. It's pretty much irrelevant for our purposes, as the general population is exposed to iron fortification. If you want to investigate the iron issue further, "Exposing the Hidden Dangers of Iron" by E.D. Weinberg is excellent. I would start there. Dr. Fachinni also has a great book called "The Iron Factor of Aging." Basically, high body iron stores are present in every major degenerative disease you can name (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, on and on), and are very likely causal. There's also quite a bit of evidence that iron levels near deficiency are beneficial for many health concerns. If Masterjohn is going by the accepted lab ranges, he might be right.... but higher levels in the lab ranges can be problematic.

Chris Kresser also gave a nice presentation-

Anyway, as someone who used to have very high iron and lowered it (and keeps it near deficiency), I still regularly eat red meat.

Cirion

Just to play devils' advocate, what if high iron in disease state is actually protective in most cases? Just a thought.

After all the body tends to protect/store many vital substances in a disease/stressed state to keep itself alive: excess Sodium, Cholesterol, body fat to name a few. None of these are inherently bad, per-se. Yes they often indicate something is wrong, but a drug to artificially bring down sodium/cholesterol/body fat in disease state will usually cause more harm than good.

We all know (hopefully) that sodium/cholesterol are both needed for health, and that statin drugs, as well as sodium avoidance generally do more harm than good in someone with compromised health.

But yeah, I totally agree about Iron fortification usually being a bad idea in foods. Fortifying foods with ANY vitamin and mineral is generally not a good idea for that matter.

Hugh Johnson

Just to play devils' advocate, what if high iron in disease state is actually protective in most cases? Just a thought.

After all the body tends to protect/store many vital substances in a disease/stressed state to keep itself alive: excess Sodium, Cholesterol, body fat to name a few. None of these are inherently bad, per-se. Yes they often indicate something is wrong, but a drug to artificially bring down sodium/cholesterol/body fat in disease state will usually cause more harm than good.

We all know (hopefully) that sodium/cholesterol are both needed for health, and that statin drugs, as well as sodium avoidance generally do more harm than good in someone with compromised health.

But yeah, I totally agree about Iron fortification usually being a bad idea in foods. Fortifying foods with ANY vitamin and mineral is generally not a good idea for that matter.
Have you read what Peat wrote about iron?

Iron's Dangers

tankasnowgod

It's not. Read Weinberg's book. Watch Kresser's presentation. Read Peat's article on iron. Dig into the studies they reference. Look at Fachinni's low iron diet with kidney patients, and the stellar results he had. Look up the FeAST trial, and see how iron reduction dramatically slashed the risk of heart disease and cancer, and all cause mortality. Learn about your body's iron defense system. Iron has the ability to completely neutralize antibiotics. In fact, it was an experiment that allowed bacteria to flourish (even in the presence of an antibiotic) that lead to Weinberg's research in iron.

The main reason that your body spikes ferritin in response to an illness or infection is to sequester as much iron as possible away from the invading pathogen.

Last edited:

Cirion

Sex And Thyroid Hormones, Iodine, Cortisol, Low Libido

Douglas Ek in that thread is absolutely convinced that Ferritin levels in the ~150 range is optimal for thyroid based upon his labs.

Again I have no doubt that excess iron is probably not a good thing, but 150 ferritin is still within range and is probably fine...

tankasnowgod

Sex And Thyroid Hormones, Iodine, Cortisol, Low Libido

Douglas Ek in that thread is absolutely convinced that Ferritin levels in the ~150 range is optimal for thyroid based upon his labs.

Again I have no doubt that excess iron is probably not a good thing, but 150 ferritin is still within range and is probably fine...

Yeah, the Stop The Thyroid Madness people are obsessed with that 150 number, too. I'm not quite sure why. Again, dig into the research. The FeAST trial lowered Ferritin from about 120 to 80, and saw a significant reduction in heart disease and cancer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals