Trying To Understand Something About Sugar

Fame

So really quick, I wanted to get some clarification on how sugar is digested.

Just as an example, wouldn't it be better to lets say, eat an orange rather than drink orange juice?

I may be wrong here but, with the piece of fruit, the body has to break down cell walls and fibres to access the sugars? Where as with the juice, it instantly enters the blood stream?

Wouldnt that be taxing on the pancreas?

Again, just looking for some clarification and correction. Thanks in advance.

tara

This is my take on it.
Some people have trouble with digesting the fibre, in which case strained juice may work better. There may be benefits in freshness from whole ripe oranges compared with old, unripe, or adulterated juice.
If you are overloading with sugars in a short time-frame, you can drink less juice more often. How much is too much in one go probably varies depending on our state. A healthy metabolism will hopefully be able to store excess glucose and fructose up to a point as glycogen for later use. A damaged metabolism (as is common) may be less efficient at this.

cattlepups

Hi Fame
My understanding is that with Orange juice, there is a bundance of minerals and vitamins that help the cell to utilize the sugar.
If the sugar in orange juice is 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucrose, then your glucose is already watered down by it only been 50 percent glucose.
Now consider the Orange juice is loaded with Potassium... I think this is like Natures insulin, so this helps with moving sugar into the cell, requiring less work for the pancreas. Now add in some other vitamins that is has that also helps with this process.

So if you were to consider a cup of orange juice and compare it to say a cup of starch :D e.g rice or bread
less minerals
less vitamins
and a mostly all GLUCOSE
So which would stress your pancreas more? The juice or the rice / bread?
hopefully my understanding is correct.

Prota

If they are monomeals, white rice is a bad guy.

GI of white rice is 64 (GL - 33) versus oj (GI - 57; GL - 14.25).

You can reduce GI with some protein, vegetables, acids, coconut oil, milk...

michael94

"orange juice" you buy in the store is nothing like eating fruit. Look up processing techniques ^.^ Probably gets contaminated with all sorts of other junk as well.

fructose mitigates the glucose effect on insulin; the same as fat mitigates the insulin effect of protein

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals