Trying to Understand Beer Cravings

Austin

Hi all,

So the main bane of my 90-100% Peat eating for the past year has been beer, which of course makes me crave junk food which I all to often succumb to. I really hate hard alcohol like whiskey, gin, etc. I also can't stand wine. There is something about beer that my body seems to crave, and interestingly two days ago I had a few Mexican colas, and the typical evening cravings were gone. I wonder if this is from the CO2 in the cola? I don't know if it's possible for the body to crave that. Any ideas?

Thanks

kiran

Maybe it is the soda. If your CO2 levels are low, it's reasonable that you would crave the familiar things that increase CO2 levels, ie beer. I don't see any other commonality between mexicoke and beer ...

OP
A

Austin

Interesting. I just read that liver problems can cause low CO2 levels. So drinking beer hurts then liver --->increases need for Co2--->increases need for beer---even further increases liver damage. :lol:

I'm going to drink a ton of Mexicolas this week to see if it completely kills off these cravings. It will be interesting to see what happens.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Have you tried bag breathing and/or baking soda?

OP
A

Austin

No, but that seems like a great idea. Are there any guidelines I should adhere to? Just add a few teaspoons of baking soda to drinks each day and do bag breathing for 5 or so minutes per day?

Attachments

• Dangers of PUFAs.mp3
    13.7 MB · Views: 32

narouz

When I was a low-carber I used to drink like a tall Heineken every night.
When I would try to cut back,
it would really help me to have a non-alcoholic beer.
It made me feel noticeably relaxed.
Not slightly tipsy like the Heineken, but just relaxed.

I used to think it was just a placebo effect.
Now, after Peat, I tend to think it was the starvation for carbohydrates. :roll:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Austin said:
No, but that seems like a great idea. Are there any guidelines I should adhere to? Just add a few teaspoons of baking soda to drinks each day and do bag breathing for 5 or so minutes per day?

Ray Peat said:
Breathing in a bag until the air is used up, which takes a minute or two, two or three times a day, will usually improve the body's CO2 balance in just a couple of days; for example, it usually normalizes the blood pressure...

Not sure about dosing of baking soda. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

OP
A

Austin

Thanks everyone for the advice. :) Just as a somewhat dull update, I beat the beer cravings. It was pretty much as I suspected and was a combination of a sugar and CO2 craving. Drinking Limonatas eliminated the cravings completely.

@ Jenn, do you know of a reliable way to check PH levels? I believe Peat said in a recent interview about alkalinity/acidity that testing urine PH levels wasn't too reliable.

Jenn

It's not if you are taking baking soda. I use the saliva first thing in the AM. It's important to do it a few days in a row. How long since you've eaten last can affect saliva pH. If I wake up in the middle of the night and check it immediately, it can be balanced....if I toss and turn without eating a little something, it will fall rapidly over the next few hours before "morning."