Trying To Lose Some Weight

_Nat_

Im tired and unhappy with the extra weight and none of my clothes fit.

I've been Peating for a few months now and of course I've gained ~20lbs like a bunch of people seem to do once they start eating more carbs.

I think I will do lower fat: keeping it under 22g. My plan is to start tomorrow.

aquaman

What do you eat, how many calories and macro split, and what is the timing of the meals? (or if you don't know, that's useful, because it shows you have no consistency and no plan, which is ok, but obviously what you are doing isn't working).

I've been finding the following useful for losing weight (dropped about 10 pounds and keeping it steady at this weight without trying hard or without working out hardly at all, think can drop another 6-10 overt next 2/3 months). Note, i'm now at 200 pounds, was at 210 for a few years. Think my optimal is about 190 pounds, which will be around 12/13% body fat.
1) more protein (it's hard to get 150+grams for me without really focusing on it)
2) i'm doing about 1.5-2x more carbs than protein - so around 350 carbs a day, protein around 170-200
3) eating 4-5-6 smaller meals per day rather than 2 or 3 - sometimes this means eating every 2-3 hours during middle of day, which is hard to prepare for.
4) limiting carbs to 40-50g per meal, occasionally 60g (especially if post workout)
5) no juice - can't metabolise that much sugar in a short time, leading to fat storage
6) fat around 50/60g
7) eat meals at the same time each day, and earlier in the day - leads to fewer late night cravings, and it's the late night binges that really lead to fat accumulation. So eat at 8, 11, 2, 5, 7.30. Doesn't have to be full meals as such, but each meal/snack is a blend of carb, protein and fat. Carbs are roots and fruits mixed: so well-cooked starchy roots, with sweet fruits like papaya, melon, mango, peaches.

Each meal generally has around 45%-35%-20% of Carbs, Protein, Fat

I'm guessing you just ate whatever you want, whenever you wanted and went too heavy on the shift to carbs without allowing your body time to learn to use them. Also it's very easy to overeat fat.

22g of fat seems very low, why not start around 40/50.

I think you'll find consistency wins, not jumping to some massively restricted diet straight away: it will lead to rebound.

The only time i've lost weight eating Peat-style, is when i have planned meals, consistent eating, and tracked calories. One time i tracked what i thought was a balanced diet, only to find i was eating around 45% fat calories, and way more total fat calories than I had estimated... no wonder i was getting fatter!

olive

I think limiting fat intake is a good idea.

As well as incorporating full body high intensity exercise for short periods of time. Never pushing yourself past the point where you can no longer breath through your nose and stopping before failure. I like sprints. 3x10 second sprints with a minute break in between, 2-3 times a week.

OP
N

_Nat_

Aquaman: I'm guessing you just ate whatever you want, whenever you wanted and went too heavy on the shift to carbs without allowing your body time to learn to use them. Also it's very easy to overeat fat.

Exactly right! I went overnight from eating very low carb to eating a lot of carbs. In retrospect, I wish I had slowly incorporated the carbs back but I had jumped in without a plan. Well shoulda, coulda,woulda anyway What is done is done and my winter clothes are too snug.

Like you, I have a problem getting enough proteins. I average about 65g which I think is too low and I too often end up going 2 or 3 days without eating any meat. I purchased some sliced low fat turkey and chicken breast. Theres only so much milk I can drink for the protein.

The other problematic thing is Im away from home for about 11hrs each day which means most of my meals are eaten at work and maybe i don't bring enough food. I end up bingeing badly in the evenings. Im starving!!

I shopped for groceries yesterday. Heres what i plan on eating for the next few days on low fat:
-greek 0% fat yogurt
-rice pudding (2.5g fat per 1/2C)
-sliced turkey/ chicken
-frozen strawbs, raspberries
-diced peaches
-bananas
-skim milk
-dates
- 1 or 2 eggs

For breakfast today I had: 1/2C greek yogurt, 1/4C rice pudding, cooked banana, straberries, raspberries, salted and sugared and a coffee with 1/2C skim.

OP
N

_Nat_

I think limiting fat intake is a good idea.

As well as incorporating full body high intensity exercise for short periods of time. Never pushing yourself past the point where you can no longer breath through your nose and stopping before failure. I like sprints. 3x10 second sprints with a minute break in between, 2-3 times a week.

Thanks Olive. I got inspired by reading one of the posters here (bigpeatowski) and her low fat fatloss thread.
Unfortunately, I cannot exercise at the moment as I'm healing from sciatica so I am taking it easy. I used to be a runner tho and enjoyed it at the time. There's also a lot of snow on the ground already so any exercise for now will have to be done indoors although my friend and I have decided to take up cross country skiing this year so that should be fun.

OP
N

_Nat_

So yesterday was a bit of a fail with about 27-28g of fat. I wasn't able to stick to my menu bc of some unscheduled events. Anyway, giving it another go today.

OP
N

_Nat_

Ive been watching what I eat and my weight is still going up. Everytime I get on the scale the number is higher. I don't understand how that can be??! Im so depressed and frustrated. I just want to cry i don't know what else to do,

olive

Ive been watching what I eat and my weight is still going up. Everytime I get on the scale the number is higher. I don't understand how that can be??! Im so depressed and frustrated. I just want to cry i don't know what else to do,
Keep at it. Weight fluctuations are normal. Eventually the weight will start to fall.

You could also try dropping sugar intake. Plain sugar and dates can be very calorie dense with little to no micronutritents.

If you’re eager for faster results try a water fast, aim for 5 days. Get plenty of electrolytes and end your fast with fruits.

Taotatoes

I've got my last 15 to lose as well and have been tracking with slow progress. It's difficult to remain patient/consistent, that's why so many continue with the yo yo cycle. I've found maintaining my weight easier eating large quantities of easy to assimilate low calorie high volume fruits so as to never feel like I am actually dieting. I know there are some here who avoid certain fruit/veggies like the plague, but if you have no issues with zucchini, cucumber, carrots, roots, tubers, cooked crucifers and sprouts I'd think about adding them back in.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals