Try This For Edema

messtafarian

I just thought of another thing that helps edema -- in fact I just did this an hour ago.

Take an antihistamine. Not Benedryl because it has hormone modulating effects ( I think it increases prolactin, can't remember) but something like famotidine or cetirizine ( zyrtec). I can't remember which ones block which H receptors -- I think cetirizine blocks H1.

Point being -- if you are swollen you are reacting to *something.* If you are reasonably healthy and have normal blood pressure and blood sugar, etc -- and you are swollen, then you are reacting somehow. Sometimes an antihistamine will calm down the mast cells and give you some relief. Unless you also have an allergic reaction to antihistamines, this is a quick fix and can't hurt.

tara

I think Peat has said cyproheptadine and diphenhydramine are safer antihistamines than cetrizine.

OP
M

messtafarian

Cyproheptadine and Benedryl are anti-cholinergics, which bring along their own problems since they cross the blood/brain barrier. I would take benedryl for an anaphylactic reaction because it works fast and I would not at that point be worried about the appetite rebound or the cortisol-like weight gaining effects of these drugs.

I'd prefer something that did not cause those things and was also available without prescription -- you can get beneedryl at the drugstore but in the US a doctor needs to prescribe cyproheptadine.

Dr. P is probably right but this worked for me, *today*, within 6 hours. I feel even better now. :)

Raypmom

I'm not swollen since cutting down liquids.

Just a tad bit puffy. Mornings being the worst. I don't want a quick fix tho. Lol

tara

messtafarian said:
Cyproheptadine and Benedryl are anti-cholinergics, which bring along their own problems since they cross the blood/brain barrier. I would take benedryl for an anaphylactic reaction because it works fast and I would not at that point be worried about the appetite rebound or the cortisol-like weight gaining effects of these drugs.

I'd prefer something that did not cause those things and was also available without prescription -- you can get beneedryl at the drugstore but in the US a doctor needs to prescribe cyproheptadine.

Dr. P is probably right but this worked for me, *today*, within 6 hours. I feel even better now. :)
I am aware that cyproheptadine, and maybe diphenhydramine, are often associated with increased appetite and sometimes weight gain. I had not read that the mechanism was in any way cortisol-like. Do you know were you got this from? I had been under the impression that cypro at least counteract histamine and serotonin at least, and that the effect was anti-stress.

OP
M

messtafarian

Actually benedryl, etc are said to "lower cortisol" and that's probably true, I don't own a laboratory. But when I take these drugs the exact pattern of weight gain ensues that people get when they take prednisone -- swelling in the shoulder well, arms, back, face and belly. I could be an odd case, but I've seen lots of complaints online about this.

Second generation antihistamines don't seem to cause this as far as I know -- at least they do not for me and I have seen fewer complaints. What they do to your liver and kidneys and so on is another story :)

Peata

I hadn't heard about the cortisol-like weight gain either from Cypro. I've had swelling both on and off it though. Not sure what I would take if I went off it again. Maybe lysine.

As far as famotidine, what do you think is a good dose for edema? I was already taking 20 mg. total, but lately I haven't been taking it as regularly.

A

Anonymous

Yea they weight gain comes from either sodium retention or the stress hormones being supressed and no longer compensating for low thyroid. i think that's why a lot of overweight people are pretty laid back and easy going.

RPDiciple

i would really love to try something for edema. I have in my lower body/legs. So frustrating

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals