Troubleshooting New Rash

tara

Got a nasty rash - eczema-like on both sides of both ankles, about three weeks ago.
Raised, red, and crazy cut fingernails-so-i-don't scratch-myself-raw itchy at times. I don't normally get this kind of rash. Stinging more than itching since yesterday morning - maybe 'cos' I couldn't control the scratching, or maybe 'cos I accidentally splashed some undiluted vinegar on it.

Brainstorming hypotheses:

H1. I put a bit of mag oil on thin skin of my ankles about a month ago, slightly diluted but not much - it stung when I did it. Maybe I damaged the skin, and made it more vulnerable to other irritants.
Action: no more mag oil till it clears up, and only very dilute after that.

H2: Fungus spread from toenails.
It doesn't seem quite like the fungus I've had on my feet from time to time, but I tried a bit of tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil or olive oil a few times, just in case - that mix usually deals with fungus foot outbreak pretty quickly. It may have helped a little, but not much.

H3. Wool sensitivity. I've never developed a serious rash from wool before, though I don't like scratchy stuff against my neck and wrists. Usually I can wear fine wool tops against my skin.
But I've been living in woolly socks all winter (change every day, but often sleep in them). Maybe damaged skin from mag oil made me vulnerable to wool intolerance. A family member has given up wool for similar symptoms.
Action: Switched to cotton socks a couple of weeks ago. Cold feet. :( . Only use woolly ugg boots if really cold and have long cotton socks on.

H4. Allergic reaction to high dose B2 supplement that I started about a month ago. I took ~100mg for a week, then 200mg for a week, now 400mg for last two weeks. I gather some people do get allergic reactions to B2, but I've not heard what kind of reactions could be expected. Is this a possibility?
Action: If rash doesn't improve in the next couple of weeks, take a break from the B2 and see if gets better then. Reluctant to stop it now because I'd like to keep going for long enough to test it against migraine - I'd like to try the high dose B2 for at least a month, preferably 3 mths before assessing it for migraine prophylaxis.

H5: Deficiency in something or other exacerbated by all the supplementation I've been doing.
Action: Like what?

H6: Something else? Ideas?

Other action: the last couple of days I've applied manuka honey. Sticky socks. Feels nice, not sure yet if it's helping.

Suggestions, anyone?

SQu

No answers, but I too find mag oil stings, itches, burns. Can't use it. I have a tendency to dry skin. Is your winter very dry? Mine is, very, and I have a slight itchy rash near my mouth and overall my skin is dry and a bit miserable. Having said that, I've weathered winter better than usual, and have managed without much in the way of moisturizing (usually a necessity other than lips for which lip balm is 24/7/365. even keep it under my pillow). I'm eating more liver, because I feel like it, and I'm thinking it's because I need more Vit A due to getting more sun and red light, and I know this has some effect on skin but not sure what. I'm not clear on skin/Vit A and the others, K,D, but it might be worth looking into. This time of year is the worst for dry air and effects on skin. If honey is soothing, I'd keep using it. If you can stand the stickiness!

aguilaroja

Two things have roughly coincided with the time course of the rash mag oil and B2. How about stopping them both. There are possibly substitutes, depending on what the reasons for using are.

It is a symmetric and unusual location for a rash. A factor like the mag oil, socks, or something contacting the areas on both sides are high on the list of possibilities. Since both sides seem affected substantially, if doing a topical treatment, why not do it on one side and compare the effect with the other side?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mag oil irritates which would cause a histamine reaction.

OP
T

tara

Thanks for suggestions.
Udpate. It's been getting gradually better.
I stopped the magnesium oil.
I stopped wearing woolly socks (only wore my woolly ugg boots a couple of times when it was especially cold, and made sure I had long cotton socks on).
Applied aspirin and niacinamide solution a few times.
Applying honey almost every day. It got worse again when I skipped the honey for a couple of days. Using cheap commercial manuka honey. Don't know if that is relevant. Bees make it from manuka flowers, which I think are related to tea tree. You can taste it. But probably doesn't have as much of the special manuka factor that makes some brands extremely expensive. Easy in winter. But maybe if it was warm enough to hang my ankles out in the sun that would help too.
Still have occasional irresistible scratches.
Still using the high dose B2 along with lower dose other Bs. Didn't want to drop this anti-migraine experiment yet.

SQu

I too have a rash which I think is because it's really, really dry weather this time of year. Itchy, flaking, red, and spreading. My daughter experimented with aspirin on a small rash on her face and now swears by it. She gave me some last night and it felt soothing. This morning it is definitely a bit better. Early days, too early to tell, but if one finds it soothing there might be something to it. I would not have expected aspirin to be soothing to the skin but am trying to follow body symptoms and responses more, so will keep going and let you know.
Maybe try it without the niacinamide? I say this because I find niacinamide a bit itchy too. Might be worth separating them and seeing.
I can't use mag oil even when my skin is not like this. Ever.

OP
T

tara

sueq said:
I too have a rash which I think is because it's really, really dry weather this time of year. Itchy, flaking, red, and spreading. My daughter experimented with aspirin on a small rash on her face and now swears by it. She gave me some last night and it felt soothing. This morning it is definitely a bit better. Early days, too early to tell, but if one finds it soothing there might be something to it. I would not have expected aspirin to be soothing to the skin but am trying to follow body symptoms and responses more, so will keep going and let you know.
Maybe try it without the niacinamide? I say this because I find niacinamide a bit itchy too. Might be worth separating them and seeing.
I can't use mag oil even when my skin is not like this. Ever.
Hi sueq, good idea to try the aspirin by itself. I actually only used that aspirin and niacinamide brew a few times on my ankles, and I think it felt good at the time. I use on my face and other areas after sun sometimes.
The honey seems to be really helpful, and lasts all day under my socks. Might not be so practical in other areas. I've used it on small sore spots before, but it could get a bit tacky to smear it all over everywhere. :)
I only tried the mag oil on my ankles once or twice, and then stopped as soon as I noticed the reaction. Normally I was using a little well diluted occasionally on various areas. That time I accidentally didn't dilute it as much, and the ankle skin is particularly thin. I haven't used it at all since then. In future I intend to only use it occasionally, well diluted, and not on any sensitive places.
Work is dry in winter, but otherwise I'm not in a particularly dry area. Damp is more of an issue at home. I'm a bit sporadic about protecting my skin. I occasionally use cocoa butter on face, neck, backs of hands, shins. I found coconut oil a bit drying, but nice, and I use that sometimes too.

bluewren

Hi Tara,
I have found that sulphur helps me with eczema rashes. I buy sulphur drops from my Naturopath, and put 7 drops under my tongue as instructed. It has been absolutely fantastic.
Hope this helps!

Jennifer

I agree, bluewren! My brother and father suffer from eczema and sulphur helps get rid of it.

I even thought about the use of flowers of sulphur as a paste applied to eczema patches. Anyone ever try that?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Jennifer said:
I agree, bluewren! My brother and father suffer from eczema and sulphur helps get rid of it.

I even thought about the use of flowers of sulphur as a paste applied to eczema patches. Anyone ever try that?
I haven't but after it worked so well for me internally I definitely would consider trying it topically. I wonder if you could put the flowers of sulfur in a foot bath for people with athletes foot or toe nail fungus?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Tara- you mentioned not being able to wear your wool socks because of the itching so I wanted to tell you about some socks I got back in the winter while working in an unheated office. I found some far infrared therapy socks for people with conditions like diabetes and Raynauds that can cause cold feet. They actually make gloves and other products but I just got the socks. I'm not sure if they are perfectly Peat but they did help keep my feet warmer at a particularly challenging time. The best I can find Peat doesn't think there is any special benefit to the far infrared spectrum beyond heat which is what I was looking for anyway. I got mine at http://www.therapysocks.com but they sell them on Amazon too. Just thought I'd mention that if it could help your cold feet in the meantime. I have no connection with any of these products or companies.

Jennifer

Blossom said:
I wonder if you could put the flowers of sulfur in a foot bath for people with athletes foot or toe nail fungus?

That's a really good idea, Blossom! I would think the warm water softening and opening up the pores of the skin might allow for better penetration. Then afterwards, maybe putting on some coconut oil will help lock it in while providing an antibacterial effect at the same time?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Jennifer said:
Blossom said:
I wonder if you could put the flowers of sulfur in a foot bath for people with athletes foot or toe nail fungus?

That's a really good idea, Blossom! I would think the warm water softening and opening up the pores of the skin might allow for better penetration. Then afterwards, maybe putting on some coconut oil will help lock it in while providing an antibacterial effect at the same time?
I think we might have a new experiment Jennifer! Now if only we could find someone with a foot fungus problem to try it out and report back. I'm sure it wouldn't smell great but it would definitely be worth it if it worked. :P

Jennifer

Oh man! Of all the issues I have, foot fungus isn't one of them. Now who will I test the FOS foot bath experiment on? This girl just can't catch a break! :lol:

OP
T

tara

Now I'm into spring, I'm happy in cotton socks.

The ankle rash is still there, though not quite so bad. But it's now also on the back of my knee and a couple of other places. I have not been using mag oil for months, and have not had wool on those other areas. I still think the mag oil might have been a trigger, but I guess the main problem must be either systemic (unless it's my washing powder - I'm using one intended for sensitive skin, but still). I sometimes smear a little vit e on them - I think it helps a little.

Prompted by Charlie, I've put flowers of sulphur in with the olive and tea tree oil I use to treat my long standing fungus feet. The sulphur powder didn't mix/dissolve easily in water, which a wanted to try first. It holds it back, as just the tea tree and OO did, but since I started, I haven't been game to stop and see if it can cope on it's own again.
I guess I give it another month or two, and wash all my sock in someting really strong and hot. And then there's all my shoes. Thinking of sprinkling sulpher in them, but don't want to get mistaken for (assistant postmaster?) Groat.
I could try sulphur on the rash. Don't want tea tree oil on it, so I'll have to make a separate brew.

Reading about Jennifer's milk rash has me wondering if I need to back off the milk. I really don't want to - I love my latte and cheesecake. And it's so much harder to get enough protein without it. Maybe I could try switching over to the A2 milk completely for a week or to, and see if that makes any difference. I've just been using it to drink straight, but still using low fat milk with coffee, and cheaper milk for cheesecake.

imrepeatingeveryday

I speculate it's a dry skin. Use liberal amounts of organic refined coconut oil topically if you didn't try already. Several times a day for 3-4 days should bring relief. In my experience coconut oil helps me when hydrocortisone fails! After I saw the effect of coconut oil topically, I became even a greater believer in it's ability to benefit internally.

OP
T

tara

Rash is spreading - new blotches of it here and there.
In case it's dry skin, I've been trying to slather much of my lower body and sometimes upper with coconut oil at least once a day (sometimes miss or skimp) for the last 3+ weeks. No obvious improvement.
This week I've cut the riboflavin supplement, since Peat says it's commonly allergenic. Too soon to tell if that will help.
I really hope it's not a symptom of milk allergy. I've been getting other symptoms of problems with milk, and backed off but not completely stopped it the last 3-4 weeks. I really don't want to remove milk from my diet again - I've been so enjoying reintroducing it. I think the problems are more likely with the protein than the lactose, because it doesn't give me the typical lactose intolerance symptoms of gas and diarrhea, and I've had the same symptoms from low lactose cheese and yogurt in the past. I guess I should try a week completely off dairy, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.

Jennifer

Tara, have you ever been tested for a dairy (protein) allergy? I know Ray says it's rare, but it obviously does exist and this way you can know for sure, especially since you also suffer from migraines.

OP
T

tara

Jennifer said:
Tara, have you ever been tested for a dairy (protein) allergy? I know Ray says it's rare, but it obviously does exist and this way you can know for sure, especially since you also suffer from migraines.

I got skin prick tests for a series of potetial allergens many years ago. I showed reactions to some pollens, but not to dairy or any other food. I guess it is possible that my reaction is not to the whole milk protein, but to some breakdown product/metabolite of it? The reactions I associate with milk can take several hours or a day or two to show up. What kind of test would you expect to be reliable?

The next experiment I'd like to try is to to be more strict about only using the A2 milk I've found (+ butter) and avoiding other dairy for a week or so in case it is an issue related to the A1 proteins. I'll find that hard to do.

Jennifer

tara said:
Jennifer said:

I got skin prick tests for a series of potetial allergens many years ago. I showed reactions to some pollens, but not to dairy or any other food. I guess it is possible that my reaction is not to the whole milk protein, but to some breakdown product/metabolite of it? The reactions I associate with milk can take several hours or a day or two to show up. What kind of test would you expect to be reliable?

The next experiment I'd like to try is to to be more strict about only using the A2 milk I've found (+ butter) and avoiding other dairy for a week or so in case it is an issue related to the A1 proteins. I'll find that hard to do.

I know the Genova stool test I just did is suppose to be able to tell if there's a dairy allergy present. I did the three day test instead of the one day, which means I took stool samples for 3 days to get a better picture of what's going on. I'd imagine an extended stool test like that could help you see what's going on since reactions for you can show up days later.

Hopefully you have success with A2 milk since it would stink to have to permanently cut out dairy. I've done only A2 cow dairy in the past, but it made no difference for me. I still got the rash, tonsil stones, foggy head ect. I pretty much expected that though since goat milk causes the same reactions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals