Troubles at beginning of cycle

Katty

Some symptoms seem to get worse in first half of my cycle- usually towards the end of my menstruation until ovulation. I'm colder, which makes sense because temps drop in 1st half of cycle, and also have some feelings of depression.
Can't quite figure out how to trouble shoot this. I suppose eating more might warm me up, but I'm gaining a lot of weight anyway, and I don't feel starving. Perhaps I need to increase thyroid dosage? Any other thoughts?

aguilaroja

Katty said:
Some symptoms seem to get worse in first half of my cycle... temps drop in 1st half of cycle... some feelings of depression....

You have made an important observation. Estrogen levels are higher in the first half of the cycle, and relatively unopposed by estrogen in that phase. The symptoms are consistent with Dr. Peat's views that estrogen effects are stress hormone type responses. Metabolism would be more perky in the phase where progesterone is higher.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _02_07.jpg

Restorative measures would be more important during this physiologic higher estrogen phase. Focal measures such as grated carrot salad/cooked bamboo shoots to lower endotoxin burden or liver supportive measures are some possibilities. I have seen a few cases where gently increasing salt intake relieved the timing and symptoms you describe. Many supportive measures may be chosen, and your experience so far may give some leads.

If you are already using T3/cytomel/cynomel, experimenting with using a little more is one possibility for problem solving. (T3 is best divided frequently during the day, since it is short acting.)

For some women, augmenting progesterone in the second part of the cycle will relieve difficulties in the first part of the cycle. (This is a general informal observation, not a recommendation where the situation is not known.)One clue about estrogen excess would be the previous gyn issues, including PMS & menstrual symptoms (extreme cramping, heavy/prolonged bleeding/clots), breast/ovary cysts. You might skim Dr. Peat's books (esp. From PMS to Menopause) or his web site for primary articles.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/es ... ress.shtml

If the body temperature is cooler, adjusting clothing, sleeping clothes (hat/socks or warm water bottle[not clothing really], or room temperature may help in the short term.

OP
K

Katty

aguilaroja,
Thanks for the response! I'm doing a lot of supportive measures now, so I'm not sure what to tweak. Maybe I'll start with increasing the salt and see how that goes. I do feel like I need to add in progesterone in the 2nd half of cycle to help out with the 1st half... but I had bad reactions when I was on progest-e previously (for about 9 months) so I'm nervous about trying it again.
I'm not freezing or anything, just not as warm as right before menstruation. It's frustrating because I feel like I start to make progress for several days, and then around menstruation, it feels like I'm regressing.

aguilaroja

Katty said:
...I'm doing a lot of supportive measures now, so I'm not sure what to tweak. Maybe I'll start with increasing the salt
...I had bad reactions when I was on progest-e previously (for about 9 months)
...around menstruation, it feels like I'm regressing.

Excuse some leading questions:

Gaining weight was mentioned. Were you on the slim side before Peat-ing? Was it harder to keep weight up than to reduce weight?

Were you feeling chilled to the bone in winter and wearing warm clothes in the summer? Was there Raynaud's phenomenon or very cold hands/feet?

Were you vegan/vegetarian/high "complex" carb for an extended period? Do you regularly eat foods with some cholesterol?

OP
K

Katty

aguilaroja said:
Katty said:
...I'm doing a lot of supportive measures now, so I'm not sure what to tweak. Maybe I'll start with increasing the salt
...I had bad reactions when I was on progest-e previously (for about 9 months)
...around menstruation, it feels like I'm regressing.

Excuse some leading questions:

Gaining weight was mentioned. Were you on the slim side before Peat-ing? Was it harder to keep weight up than to reduce weight?

Were you feeling chilled to the bone in winter and wearing warm clothes in the summer? Was there Raynaud's phenomenon or very cold hands/feet?

Were you vegan/vegetarian/high "complex" carb for an extended period? Do you regularly eat foods with some cholesterol?

You're right on the mark with a lot of this. I was very thin before Peating. I ate low carb/paleo for a long time. Really, though, I was just eating too few calories for several years-- I never tracked, but I'm guessing it was 1200 calories a day or less for a long time. I'm not sure if I would have had trouble putting on weight if I had been eating a normal amount of calories. I was never vegan or vegetarian. I was probably eating pretty low cholesterol foods, despite being paleo-- I just wasn't eating much of anything.

I was cold all the time- it was better in summer, but still wore sweaters indoors. And yes, I started to experience Raynaud's systems right before Peating.

When I first started Peating, I didn't see much improvement (I still probably wasn't eating enough- maybe 1600 calories) and had a lot of allergies/intolerances (dairy, progest-e, pregnenolone, aspirin, eggs....). The only thing that made a bit of a difference was when I started supplementing with thyroid. T3 made the most difference (only 5mcg, along with a grain or so of thyroid) but my Dr took me off the T3 because T3 numbers were too high and TSH too low (my TSH was at about zero... Peat would have been pleased). When I was on T3, it got rid of some pains (gallbladder, intestinal, and ovarian) and gave me slight boosts in energy for short periods of time (about 15 mins after eating enough calories).

Over the last year, I focused on re-feeding- not even all "Peat approved" foods... was using a Matt Stone approach. More food definitely helps and has improved my energy, but I still need some tweaking. About 6 weeks ago I started 80mg of B1 (benfotiamine). The B1 helped things almost immediately: warmer, sleep better, possibly better skin.

In terms of eating cholesterol now: I cook with coconut oil and eat butter. Eggs still cause issues for me so I'm not doing a lot of yolks. I'm doing a bit more dairy, but can't do a lot because of reactions. I eat liver once a week and red meat occasionally. Lately I'm getting around 40-60 grams of fat per day, but it's probably not all saturated.

However, as noted above, I'm not as warm in the 1st half of cycle and start experiencing some pains that go away in 2nd half of cycle (liver, intestinal, ovarian). I'm on 1.25 grains of Nature-throid right now.

I also still have a lot of signs of low metabolism: intolerances/allergies to vitamins and foods, energy is only so-so, I keep gaining weight (especially in the belly) even though I often still feel hungry, hair loss, rashy skin and acne issues.

Sorry for the length of this... thought maybe the details would spark some ideas on how I can tweak things.
Thanks!

aguilaroja

Katty said:
When I first started Peating, I didn't see much improvement (I still probably wasn't eating enough- maybe 1600 calories) and had a lot of allergies/intolerances

When depletion is considerable, in the beginning, especially with the absorption issues you mention, stronger augmentation sometimes more promptly moves the needle. Once the restoration begins, it tends to be an "upward spiral"-restorative measures get easier and build together. (That's why some posts on the forum read so enthusiastically...)

aguilaroja

Katty said:
...I was probably eating pretty low cholesterol foods, despite being paleo-- I just wasn't eating much of anything.

I was cold all the time...
When I first started Peating, I didn't see much improvement (I still probably wasn't eating enough- maybe 1600 calories) and had a lot of allergies/intolerances (dairy, progest-e, pregnenolone, aspirin, eggs....). The only thing that made a bit of a difference was when I started supplementing with thyroid....About 6 weeks ago I started 80mg of B1 (benfotiamine). The B1 helped things almost immediately: warmer, sleep better, possibly better skin.
.... I'm on 1.25 grains of Nature-throid right now.

I also still have a lot of signs of low metabolism: intolerances/allergies to vitamins and foods, energy is only so-so

Thanks for the added description of events. The picture sounds like a background of low metabolism with high adrenalin compensation, compounded by prolonged undernourishment.

Here are some possibilities to consider:

(1) Be generous applying topical good quality refined coconut oil to the skin, especially during the first half of the cycle. It will tend to keep the cool extremity areas warmer, in addition to other benefits.

(2) Explore different types of cheese (Mittir and others have descriptions about farmer's cheese, too), even in small quantities, to see what is pleasurable and readily digestible. There are numerous possibilities. Many good posts on the forum reporting user experiences.

(3) If benfotiamine has been helpful, consider adding "regular" thiamine to the regimen. AFAIK no research has been done using both together, but I have anecdotal rationale for thinking that two parallel thiamine delivery methods are even better than one. Be careful to use either thiamine capsule within minimal excipients, or thiamine power.

http://www.toxinless.com/vitamin-b1

(4) If you are using Nature-throid, be sure to divide the prescribed amount into parts so that the T3 in the product is mobilized several times a day (if feasible, dividing into, say, four times a day (at least) would be helpful.)

(5) You might give a whirl to haidut's Pregnenolone oil. Its drops can readily adjust to a small trial dose and the skin absorption bypasses the possible gut issue. It's possible that the high adrenaline background has contributed to reduced adsorption and sensitivity in digestion.

https://squareup.com/market/idealabs-ll ... non-liquid

While I enjoy some of haidut's posts and dan wich's posts, I have no financial nor vested interest in their enterprises, nor for that matter, with Dr. Peat or any vendor/marketer of any kind. [And full disclaimer: I am not rich in monetary terms, so my intelligence can quickly be challenged on those grounds :^) ]

More later.

Mittir

RP has mentioned many benefits of B1. It increases memory,
lowers lactate, increases CO2 production, helps with
liver's ability of detoxify estrogen. ( B1, B2 and protein play main role in
detoxification of estrogen in the liver ). RP mentioned in an
interview that B1 deficiency can cause diabetes.
You are probably fixing many problems with one vitamin.
Another B vitamin RP strongly recommends for regular use is
Niacinamide, 100 mg 2-3 times a day with meals.
I have found Niacinamide the most helpful supplement.
RP thinks commercial B2 and folic acids can very allergenic.
You will probably need a food source for B2.
He thinks occasional use of B6 is safe and it can help with
lowering prolactin and estrogen. Females are usually low in B6
due to higher estrogen level. He also thinks 10 mg of B6 is a big dose.
Light therapy and bag breathing 2 minutes few times a day
can make a big difference

OP
K

Katty

aguilaroja,
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I really appreciate it.

(1) I've been doing coconut oil on skin for a while, often adding Vitamin D3.

(2) I'm trying out different cheeses. I can also handle re-strained greek yogurt (might still be causing some acne and digestive issues, but better when I re-strain)

(3) Any dosage suggestions for the B1? I take 80mg of the benfotiamine. Someone recommended I take 40mg, but I couldn't find a pill lower than 80mg. And I've seen some posts on this forum where people are taking much higher doses.

(4) I'll divide up the Nature-throid dose--- though I do think it works better when I take on an empty stomach, and my stomach is only empty first thing in morning.

(5) I tried pregnenolone previously, but not the oil-- it was the powder from Beyond a Century. Every time I took it, I would get cystic acne around my mouth (I have acne, but never in that location). As soon as I stopped the pregnenolone, the cysts went away. I tried it a couple times, so I know the reaction was from the pregnenolone.
I'm guessing the pregnenolone was turning into estrogen. How do I know my body will properly convert the pregnenolone? I'm still confused on when pregnenolone is appropriate, vs when using progesterone is appropriate.

Mittir,
Thanks to you as well!
I did take niacinamide previously for several months-- I never noticed it doing anything. I thought I read on one of the forums that if someone has blood sugar problems, niacinamide can make the problem worse. I always wondered if that was happening with me-- because ever since starting Peat and trying to eat more carbs/sugar, I formed skin tags and my belly keeps growing... which seems to be a blood sugar issue...??

I did put niacinamide in my face cream on occasion-- it did help with acne and skin tone, but only for about 2-4 weeks at a time, then the effects wear off and it doesn't seem to help as much.

aguilaroja

Katty said:
(3) Any dosage suggestions for the B1? I take 80mg of the benfotiamine. Someone recommended I take 40mg, but I couldn't find a pill lower than 80mg. And I've seen some posts on this forum where people are taking much higher doses.

(4) I'll divide up the Nature-throid dose--- though I do think it works better when I take on an empty stomach, and my stomach is only empty first thing in morning.

(5) I tried pregnenolone previously, but not the oil-- it was the powder from Beyond a Century. Every time I took it, I would get cystic acne around my mouth....As soon as I stopped the pregnenolone, the cysts went away...
I'm guessing the pregnenolone was turning into estrogen. How do I know my body will properly convert the pregnenolone? I'm still confused on when pregnenolone is appropriate, vs when using progesterone is appropriate....

This is not intended to speak for Dr. Peat-any credit for improvements goes to him, others of us are still studying the scope of his ideas.

My impression here is that while the high adrenalin has been relieved somewhat, that other compensations are being used partially, include the "sex" steroids, with possible influences on the acne. I am going to postpone longer discussion about pregnenolone's how and when. While it's one possibility, other maneuvers may be more primary.

For most people, keeping the supplementary thyroid before or in-between meals is enough, rather than when the stomach has been empty overnight. 1/2 hour before meals or an hour after meals is enough practical margin for most people. My experience is that bio-identical ("synthetic") thyroid is usually optimal, for uniformity and especially because the T4 to T3 proportion can be easily adjusted. I recognize that availability and preference depends on health care provider for some.

The admittedly subjective impression here is that convivial nourishment (protein, sugar, coconut/fat plus good food sourced vitamin/mineral) will rev up absorption, which in turn will boost effective intake, putting the stress systems at rest. Appetite will also improve. That probably sounds vague. The suggestion is to find "Peat-y" foods and treats that are enjoyable and eat heartily.

If not already done, consider being generous with coconut oil over large skin areas rather than dabbing, especially in the evening.

I have experimented with large doses of thiamine, both way back and after discussions on his forum. If there were a brain degeneration or injury issue, I'd be especially tempted to experiment with large doses, as people in my circle have. if using capsules rather than pure powder, be careful about minimizing excipients.

If pursuing B1 effects is of interest, I suppose while using both it's more practical to use the regular thiamine in much higher proportion than the benfotiamine. The regular version is cheaper and more researched. I'd probably use it more frequently, at least twice a day, at somewhere in the 100 mg range each time, then more upward to 250 mg. If things are neutral or encouraging, you could plan further.

My experience with doses in the range of 500 mg to a gram and more is that endurance, attention and comfort has generally been better. I have found that AM & PM doses can be either awakening or sedating depending largely on the contexts of what other foods/nutrients are taken around the same time. In a way, thiamine seems to potentiate supportive actions of other nutrients.

So if you go to large amounts, I would suggest doing it at times when there is flexibility to stay up or sleep late. Other than alerting/sedating, I have had no side effects. The experiences of a couple of friends is similar. But this is a very small sample, and you can read experiences of many people in other threads.

Mittir's suggestions about light therapy and bag breathing/CO2 are especially useful since they can be readily implemented.

OP
K

Katty

aguilaroja said:
That probably sounds vague. The suggestion is to find "Peat-y" foods and treats that are enjoyable and eat heartily.

Do I need to pay attention to macronutrient ratios and/or try for a certain calorie limit? Admittedly, I'm concerned about all the weight I've gained since Peating, especially in the low belly.

aguilaroja said:
If pursuing B1 effects is of interest, I suppose while using both it's more practical to use the regular thiamine in much higher proportion than the benfotiamine. The regular version is cheaper and more researched. I'd probably use it more frequently, at least twice a day, at somewhere in the 100 mg range each time, then more upward to 250 mg. If things are neutral or encouraging, you could plan further.

How long do people usually stay on a certain vitamin or supplement? Is the idea to feel good and stabilize for a certain amount of time, and then slowly wean off the vitamin?

aguilaroja

Katty said:
aguilaroja said:
Do I need to pay attention to macronutrient ratios and/or try for a certain calorie limit? Admittedly, I'm concerned about all the weight I've gained since Peating, especially in the low belly.

How long do people usually stay on a certain vitamin or supplement? Is the idea to feel good and stabilize for a certain amount of time, and then slowly wean off the vitamin?

With respect, some of the formerly high adrenalin compensating people I knew felt hefty around the belly when by usual standards they were of medium build. But there are also those who switch to say, a cortisol type compensation and get larger around the waist. You might see how things go for a few weeks while using the NDT divided up throughout the day, while emphasizing keeping the protein sufficient and comfortably eating portions.

If augmenting with vitamins where side effects seem absent (and cost is affordable), my view is feeling well is best established for months before tapering.

OP
K

Katty

aguilaroja said:
With respect, some of the formerly high adrenalin compensating people I knew felt hefty around the belly when by usual standards they were of medium build.

Yes, the first 20 pounds probably put me into a medium build... but I think the 2nd 20 pounds is a bit worrying. I'm only 5'1 so a total of 40 added pounds is a lot on my frame. I don't actually have a scale (just weighed occasionally at a Dr's office), I've mostly been measuring by my increase in clothing sizes (went from a 00 to a 14). Seems I could lose some bulk around my belly and add some muscle.

aguilaroja said:
But there are also those who switch to say, a cortisol type compensation and get larger around the waist. You might see how things go for a few weeks while using the NDT divided up throughout the day, while emphasizing keeping the protein sufficient and comfortably eating portions.

I've been trying to read some of Peat's articles and some of the posts on this forum, but I'm still a bit confused at the difference between adrenaline and cortisol. Why might I have switched from running on adrenaline to now running on cortisol? A lot of the posts I've read seem to suggest that adrenaline and cortisol are almost interchangeable. Can't figure out when one kicks in vs another, and what the effects of one vs the other are.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and for taking the time to respond!

aguilaroja

Katty said:
Yes, the first 20 pounds probably put me into a medium build... but I think the 2nd 20 pounds is a bit worrying. I'm only 5'1 so a total of 40 added pounds is a lot on my frame. I don't actually have a scale (just weighed occasionally at a Dr's office), I've mostly been measuring by my increase in clothing sizes (went from a 00 to a 14). Seems I could lose some bulk around my belly and add some muscle.

I've been trying to read some of Peat's articles and some of the posts on this forum, but I'm still a bit confused at the difference between adrenaline and cortisol. Why might I have switched from running on adrenaline to now running on cortisol? A lot of the posts I've read seem to suggest that adrenaline and cortisol are almost interchangeable. Can't figure out when one kicks in vs another, and what the effects of one vs the other are.

The concern about the extra weight is understandable. Continued extra weight around the middle can be a cue to further tune the metabolism. It is encouraging that the absorption has improved so that weight can be gained. Some of the tune-up is underway.

I lack a quick version of the different compensations for low metabolism. The speculations are mine and have not been discussed at length with Dr. Peat, let alone verified by him. Credit goes to Dr. Peat for helpful things, shortcomings to this wayward student.

My wacko ideas are a bit different than what is in books by different hormone and diet authorities and writers. There is some overlap in all of the stress functions and responses (such as adrenalin, cortisol, estrogen, serotonin, histamine) so it's a little abstract to speak about them separately. Sometimes, understanding the dominant compensation helps choose the speediest relief measures.

The medical stereotype of hypothyroid patients (overweight, slow, sluggish, soggy) is from my viewpoint a bit closer to a high cortisol response. It is as if a person "insulates" herself/himself to stay warm. (Metabolism is much more than steady heat, but heat is one quick gauge of efficient metabolic energy distribution.)

The adrenalin compensation- a lean, wiry, high-strung, chilled, cold hands/feet type, frequently low blood pressure-often appears like trying to run the engine faster to generate heat. Sadly, this response is missed by health care workers because it does not fit the stereotype. Looking thin is taken to be a sign of health, even if the person struggle to keep weight on.

Other compensations are also overlooked by the orthodoxy-there is an accumulation of misunderstanding in my experience, even by many well-meaning people.

For understanding compensations, it is often useful to look at the medical description of an extreme state (Cushing's, for instance, for high cortisol) and think about a reduced version as a semi-urgent response to a declining metabolism.

OP
K

Katty

aguilaroja said:
It is encouraging that the absorption has improved so that weight can be gained. Some of the tune-up is underway.

Is it somewhat common to switch from an adrenaline compensation to a cortisol compensation?

aguilaroja said:
For understanding compensations, it is often useful to look at the medical description of an extreme state (Cushing's, for instance, for high cortisol) and think about a reduced version as a semi-urgent response to a declining metabolism.

Interesting. I looked up Cushing's and high cortisol, and some of the symptoms do match where I'm at: skin tags, weight gain, hair loss (though the hair loss started a long time ago). I think the skin tags started while I was still in an adrenalin state too... so it's hard to tell where one stops and the other starts.

I always thought those symptoms (skin tags, weight gain) were a high blood sugar problem. And I assumed that because I was low-carb and low-calorie for so long, that my body just hasn't yet regained the ability to process the sugars/carbs again (even though I've been back eating them for quite a while now). But maybe my thinking is wrong. Maybe I don't have a problem processing/metabolizing the sugars?? Because the sugars are supposed to help bring down the cortisol, correct?
But how about sugar without added proteins or fats? Like if I just drink OJ but don't eat protein or fat with it... will that still help lower the cortisol properly? (I do generally eat protein and fats with carbs, but occasionally I'll have a drink/snack that's mainly sugar).

aguilaroja

Katty said:
Is it somewhat common to switch from an adrenaline compensation to a cortisol compensation?

...I looked up Cushing's and high cortisol, and some of the symptoms do match where I'm at: skin tags, weight gain, hair loss (though the hair loss started a long time ago). I think the skin tags started while I was still in an adrenalin state too... so it's hard to tell where one stops and the other starts.

But how about sugar without added proteins or fats? Like if I just drink OJ but don't eat protein or fat with it... will that still help lower the cortisol properly?

Dr. Peat has mentioned, and labelling confirms it, that there is a small but helpful amount of protein in orange juice. My suggestion would be that fruit and sugar be adjusted for overall well being rather than to relieve cortisol burdens. It's best to have protein at meals but be at ease with a sweet beverage by itself sometimes.

The questions are good and interesting. Excuse me, for brevity's sake, I am going to evade answering at length for a couple of reasons, First, i am pressed for time due to work and family demands. Second, though I believe the reasoning is consonant with Dr. Peat's work, it has mainly not been discussed with him and should be viewed as speculative, even in a progressive forum like this one. Third, the views are different enough from both the mainstream and avant garde, I am not yet able to explain them concisely.

It seems more practical to emphasize improving relief for the recent difficulties.

I think while multiple compensation functions go on at the same time, usually one or two are dominant. My guess in this case is that relief of a dominant high adrenalin state "unmasked" a bit of high cortisol function. For instance, in high adrenalin states, sometimes digestion (and appetite) is hindered so weight gain is difficult. When absorption improves somewhat, the cortisol pattern of deposit around the waist can occur.

In a high cortisol state, my mainly anecdotal, casual observation is that some of the "weight gain" is a kind of swollen tissue state, whether in the torso or the limbs. The characteristic texture is "watery" but not quite as boggy as in some high estrogen situations. The tissue can have a dough-y combined with the boggy texture. Normalizing the tissue texture through Peat-y methods in some cases optimizes weight. It is really the tissue mass that is kind of "re-distributed" by fluid and density shifts.

Weight gain itself could be a long discussion. Again, the brief impression here is that digestion has improved a bit more quickly than overall metabolism has been repleted. You have undertaken several promising measures. It would be good to watch how things unfold for several weeks or more, with the Nature-throid and Progest-E. the hope would be that the weight moves toward optimal as metabolism improves.

If the relative down interval during the early cycle lingers, you might advance the start of Progest-E to day 12 or earlier for one or two cycles. I have more often seen hair loss solved through thyroid boosting measures than progesterone boosting measures. Lots of factors affect hair growth. I don't know how primary a factor thyroid action on better cortisol elimination for specific hair growth cases.

Skin tags and other skin marks sometimes respond oil-based bio-identical hormones, as in Progest-E and DHEA/vit E oil. Sometimes the oil based vitamins (good quality E, D, K & A, roughly in that order) will shrink or reduce the prominence of a skin tag.

SQu

Wow amazing info aguilaroja! I.learned a lot just from these last posts. When time permits could you carry on on this theme? Cortisol unmasking, weight gain and how to reverse if possible ? That's exactly what happened to me .

OP
K

Katty

sueq said:
Wow amazing info aguilaroja! I.learned a lot just from these last posts. When time permits could you carry on on this theme? Cortisol unmasking, weight gain and how to reverse if possible ? That's exactly what happened to me .

Agreed. Thanks aguilaroja for all your time and analysis! Would love to hear more if/when you have time.

Also, sort of an off-topic aside: you mentioned being in contact with others who've tried out some of Ray Peat's ideas. Other than the several Peat forums online, are you in contact with others who are regularly experimenting? Or perhaps you are a practitioner? It seems that some people on the forum, such as yourself, have a lot of knowledge- and if you're not practitioners, wondering where everyone has been converging to discuss these ideas- especially since Peat's info seems to have only gotten big on the internet the last 4-5 years or so.

aguilaroja

Katty said:
sort of an off-topic aside: you mentioned being in contact with others who've tried out some of Ray Peat's ideas. Other than the several Peat forums online, are you in contact with others who are regularly experimenting? ...some people on the forum, such as yourself, have a lot of knowledge- and if you're not practitioners, wondering where everyone has been converging to discuss these ideas- especially since Peat's info seems to have only gotten big on the internet the last 4-5 years or so.

I have been studying Dr. Peat's ideas for many years, before the beginnings of the forum or Dr. Peat's own website. Since his ideas were fascinating and their implementation was so helpful, I tried for years to tell everyone I knew about Dr. Peat and his approach. It's mainly from shy "evangelizing" that I've had chances for discussion, other than exchanges with Dr. Peat.

Curiously but in retrospect predictably, most people only followed up on exploring Dr. Peat's work until they got relief or feedback about their immediate concern. You might think that if a person solved a disabling problem that bothered them for years, that they would delve more into the source of their help. But among many many discussions and good outcomes, only a tiny few bought a book by Dr. Peat, and even fewer took out a newsletter subscription.

I tried to attend different alternative health meetings of all sorts on "Peat-y" topics (metabolism, nutrition, hormones, etc etc). Only a few presenters or audience members were even respectful, let alone interested. I still discuss things with people I meet.

I am glad that Dr. Peat has found interview forums in the media and on the web. I am grateful to have more consistent access to the panorama of his discussions. I am an occasional denizen on this forum in part because there were few if any Peat advocate gatherings I knew about in previous years. Props to the initiators/moderators here for opening discussion about, to borrow Dr. Peat's phrase, traditions of truth.

OP
K

Katty

Interesting-- Thanks for the response! I'm always impressed by the wealth of knowledge people have on Peaty matters. Even if someone experimented on him/herself, it would be hard to gather info on what happens to others in different circumstances unless one is frequently corresponding with others. I'd imagine you'd have to speak to a lot of people before discovering what an adrenalin compensation looks like, vs a cortisol one, etc.

aguilaroja said:
Curiously but in retrospect predictably, most people only followed up on exploring Dr. Peat's work until they got relief or feedback about their immediate concern. You might think that if a person solved a disabling problem that bothered them for years, that they would delve more into the source of their help. But among many many discussions and good outcomes, only a tiny few bought a book by Dr. Peat, and even fewer took out a newsletter subscription.

I can understand that some people want to get involved in the literature/research only to a certain point. Unless someone is a health practitioner, researcher, etc, there is only so much time in the day. I'm finding learning about more of the physiology interesting, but if someone isn't interested in the bio background, I can understanding only getting enough info to help a certain ailment and then moving on with other areas of life. I'm certainly grateful to those who have taken more time to study so that I can continue to learn. :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals