Trouble With Liquids: Hypothyroidism or Weather?

J

j.

When a new visitor asks for advice, often he is told to be careful with high liquid consumption while he is hypothyroid, as hypothyroid people have more trouble processing liquid. Those comments bring to mind this Ray Peat quote:

Ray Peat said:
The amount of water a person needs is extremely variable, depending on things such as metabolic rate, activity, and the temperature and humidity of the air. Working hard in hot, dry weather, it's possible to drink more than two quarts per hour for more than eight hours, without forming any urine, because all of the water is lost by evaporation. But in very hot, humid weather, a person with a low metabolic rate can be endangered by the smallest amount of water

Ray Peat said:
Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed.

Source

OP
J

j.

My guess is that the posters who give the advice to be careful with liquids while being hypothyroid don't live in a dry weather, and thus the advice might not be applicable to a poster seeking advice who does. Moreover, it's possible hypothyroidism isn't the main reason some people giving advice happen to have trouble with great amounts of liquid. Maybe it's the weather where they live.

I also think the same might happen to calories. A person might feel comfortable with some amount of calories, and if a poster lives in a place with different weather, he would advice him that amount is crazy and that one should consume a lot more or a lot less.

OP
J

j.

If one has trouble drinking a lot of milk and orange juice, I wonder if having access to a sauna would be helpful, including for other anti-stress effects.

Suikerbuik

Feeling is the best to follow in this regard .

A few days ago a man came to me, not completely a stranger, but no family or someone I see that often. He suddenly start talking about health. He passed the age of 65. He was exercising much. Having preventative scans every 3 months or so. Drawing blood quite often for glucose, cholesterol, HGB, etc... anyway a panel that you (by a regular physician) better not get drawn, because before you know you're drugged or need to eat more vegetable oils. Eating seemlingy healthy, vegetables, fruit, bread, margarine, not so many calories and sugar, and whatever indoctrinated stuff. He said I am doing all these things and some of my fellow people I know of do too. Some of them still get sick, get cancer etc. he said what is health!?

My dad, and other people died at very high age (85-95). "He never watched what he ate - never ate fruits, he worked very long hours in a polluted factory hall as there were no strict rules, had no prevetative scans, wasn't worrying about anything and he ate very very much, he continued loading his plate. When everyone was done he just ate when his tummy was full. And he didn't get fat, never !!" (about his dad)

Immediately thought about Peat. Although not following his advices. The metabolism must be behind this phenomena. Now people need to watch their calories carefully, even a single one in excess is seen at the scale. We have an allotment and heard this more often from 'old' people, but they don't tell you about the ones that died young ofcourse.

pboy

ive found with water beyond sweating, there is little loss outside urine...perhaps half a liter in unspecified breath and skin loss. If you sweat, its entirely dependent on how much you lose while sweating...but most people besides athletes don't really sweat that much to be significant. Tonicity of the water is more important, but our bodies have the ability to dilute urine down to 1/4 blood concentration, or concentrate urine up to 4x blood concentration...so there is actually quite a large range we can handle, too little or too much. However, with too little, you wont actually be able to store glycogen and digest food well, with too much, you'll eventually excrete it and it wont be a big deal, but from the time you ingest the excess liquid until the time it gets concentrated into the bladder and passed, the metabolism will be slightly diluted and therefore probably slightly less efficient, which is probably why Peat says to be careful with overdrinking fluids if you're hypothyroid. On top of that, when you're hypothyroid little stresses are more profound so having to go to the bathroom often can be an additional annoyance and stress. From my experience about 170-220calories to 8oz water is an ideal range for me, but once again, that might not be the case for someone consuming more or less solutes in that water...like adding extra salt or other electrolytes / vitamins / polyphenols or something that would require extra water to eliminate. Also gotta keep in mind, food is technically water also (minus the mineral ash) once its metabolized...so like a piece of bread is still technically almost like consuming an ounce of water after it gets digested (if it gets digested), or any other macronutrient

agree though j, as with the climate and environment, peoples optimum amounts can differ significantly

edit: just as an interesting note, of course this wasn't exact, but ive actually urinated more fluid than the amount of food + liquid ive consumed in a day before, which can only be explained through the excess generation of metabolic water and little to no other losses. What ive researched, fat that is oxidized completely actually produces slightly more water than its initial weight. Funny to think, someone could gain weight temporarily as they burned fat! (until they urinated)