Trouble Understanding Vit A And Beta-carotene Recommendations

berk

What i read here is that Rp advice is Avoiding large amounts of carotene because
1: beta-carotene has a similar structure to polyunsaturated fats, which inhibits thyroid function.
2: lowers progesterone
3: lowers adrenal function
4: can't properly convert to vitamin A.

on the other hand rp advice is to eat raw carrots everyday because
1: lower cortisol
2: lower estrogen (prevent the absorption of estrogen from the intestine)
3: helps accelerate the conversion of cholesterol to steroid hormones.
But carrots are one of the biggest carotene sources and i read that a lot of people consuming lot of carrots (like 500 grams a day) also oranges consumed by many here is high carotene.
So this is confusing.

in this article about Carotenemia & Hypothyroidism be told that:
"I would stop eating things like sweet potatoes, carrots, and pumpkin because it’s not ideal to burden the liver when it’s already stressed"
Carotenemia & Hypothyroidism – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Also I cant find any info about what max intake beta-carotene might be.

I got now 87.000iu from
vegetables
and 18.500iu from meat/liver/eggs.
B12 intake is around 76 grams from same sources.

i have nu clue this is good or bad..

Last edited:

schultz

As far as I understand it, the carotene is not well absorbed from the carrot when the carrot is uncooked. I assume some of the carotene will be absorbed though. Personally I grate the carrot and then rinse and press the grated carrot quickly, which removes a huge amount of orange color. It only takes a few seconds. Ray has mentioned that you can do this if you're concerned about the carotene. I am not really that concerned but do it anyway.

Marcine

I've been confused too. I live in the Valley of Longevity in Ecuador and the fruit is loaded with BC, which I think protects it from UVB. Peat advocates tropical fruit! at any rate, I figure since people thrive here into very old age eating this fruit, drinking coffee, lots of dairy, high elev, low deuterium spot I just figure it isn't a problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals