Trouble Digesting Watermelon

Velve921

I have a friend who loves watermelon; however, after 8 scoops he notices his stomach feels uncomfortable. Anyone have similar issues?

Koveras

yes

“Plantains are very proinflammatory, with a high serotonin content; commercial orange juice, especially if it doesn’t separate when standing for a few hours, can produce bowel irritation by supporting bacterial growth because of the suspended modified fiber, and watermelons that aren’t perfectly ripe have enough starch to cause problems, though very ripe watermelon is safe.” -Ray Peat, PhD

Peata

By 8 scoops, do you mean 8 bites? I don't have trouble with watermelon unless I eat about 2 cups worth at a time. Maybe try eating it alone, apart from other foods. Salt it too.

lindsay

If it's REALLY ripe, I can digest it okay. But it tends to digest VERY fast - as in I can feel it moving the whole way through. That being said, if it's ripe and good, it does help keep one regular. But I would eat it on an empty stomach.

YuraCZ

Watermelon has almost zero fiber. So when you eat like 2 kg at once. Its around 70g of fructose rushing into small intestine. The body has hard time absorb so much fructose at once. So it will feed bacteria.. But for example with banana its not a problem. Because has more fibre and some starch(so is digested much slower) and only around 7g of fructose for one banana. Almost everybody can eat 2 kg of watermelon, but 10 bananas its a different story. :)

Hmm I will try with pure fructose to see if it happens.

YuraCZ

Hmm I will try with pure fructose to see if it happens.
But there isn't just fructose in the watermelon. Watermelon, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories
So for proper experiment. You must add all sugars and not just fructose.. And like I said the problem with fruits is in the amount. So for watermelon I think at least 2kg is larger amount.. Which is around 150g of sugar total and around 70g of fructose.. Water plays also key role. So for 2kg of watermelon at least 1,5l of water.. There is also huge amount of potassium 2000mg for 2kg. So it can be also a factor.. :D

Last edited:
J

jb116

The starch and water content can be problematic. Sprinkle salt on the watermelon. Not only does it balance the water logging but ironically makes the watermelon taste sweeter.

YuraCZ

The starch and water content can be problematic. Sprinkle salt on the watermelon. Not only does it balance the water logging but ironically makes the watermelon taste sweeter.
Watermelon has starch? lol... It must be starch and not fructose. Because otherwise it will be "anti Peat" talk right? :D

milk_lover

When the watermelon tastes very sweet and delicious, I have no trouble from it. Otherwise, I get digestion issues but they are not that bad.

Which is around 150g of sugar total and around 70g of fructose

Well I can eat much more sugar than that without problem if it's in milk. 150g of sucrose in water would make me sick to the head. But fructose powder in water has much less effect and doesn't go to your head (probably goes to your liver and colon, lol).

lindsay

If you want to have real fun with watermelon, eat a good amount of dried apricots or prunes, then eat half a ripe watermelon (no salt); stay near a bathroom for the rest of the afternoon........ then take charcoal.
:dancingsmileyman

J

jb116

When the watermelon tastes very sweet and delicious, I have no trouble from it. Otherwise, I get digestion issues but they are not that bad.
Yea exactly. I think unripened fruit is a problem that's widespread. My concern is the unripened watermelon.
As a side note, watermelon has lots of lycopene. Peat is weary of this carotenoid:
Tomato Lycopene Extract Prevents Lipopolysaccharide-Induced NF-κB Signaling but Worsens Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis in NF-κB EGFP Mice

Either way, salt by increasing hcl I think helps make the watermelon more digestible and palatable as well.
That's how I eat it now. Try it and report back.