Tropicana Vs Fresh Orange Juice?

jaa

It's nearly impossible to get fresh oranges where I live. Is the nutrition I get from non-ripe fresh squeezed oranges going to be much higher than pulp-free Tropicana?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good question.

Tropicana will likely be my fallback when I cannot get fresh oranges. To me it has the best taste of all the processed orange juices.

J

j.

For some reason my favorite was Florida's natural, with pulp, taste wise.

4peatssake

Didn't Ray just say that Tropicana is OK? Also, I'm pretty sure it's what the Rubin's drink.
This is what I drink mostly as I can't get fresh ripe oranges and I've gone everywhere begging for them. :pray

OP
J

jaa

Yeah I believe I read that in a recent post which made me question my OJ squeezing.

I like the taste of the non-fresh fresh squeezed OJ a bit better than Tropicana, but it's not worth the added effort / cost if the extra nutrition isn't there.

HDD

Yes, it was in a recent interview. I just switched to it and really like it better. My sons drink so much OJ I couldn't keep up juicing. Drives me crazy, the youngest likes it straight from the jug.

J

j.

Ray said store bought is better than nothing, but he squeezes his own oranges.

Beebop

This discussion over at Peatarian.com seemed to come to the conclusion that Tropicana isn't so good because it doesn't separate when left to stand, and is therefore probably treated with enzymes:

http://peatarian.com/11075/safe-oj-in-the-uk

If that's the case (I'm not sure either way) there will be other brands that aren't enzyme-treated, and the only way to find out is to ask the manufacturer.

4peatssake

Beebop said:
This discussion over at Peatarian.com seemed to come to the conclusion that Tropicana isn't so good because it doesn't separate when left to stand, and is therefore probably treated with enzymes:

http://peatarian.com/11075/safe-oj-in-the-uk

If that's the case (I'm not sure either way) there will be other brands that aren't enzyme-treated, and the only way to find out is to ask the manufacturer.
mine separates. :?
I've been meaning to write them though. Perhaps it's time.

Jenn

Great value(Walmart) brand definitely separates...and is the cheapest...when the new minute maid 2 packs are sold out. Honestly, they all taste the same to me...in that the taste within a brand can vary from batch to batch.
May be a local phenomenon. ;)

OP
J

jaa

Tropicana in my region does not seperate. It looks pretty weird / murky and taste kinda gross compared to the fresh stuff I make. Definitely won't be buying it again.

jyb

jaa said:
Let the separating OJ tests begin!

You can only test the juice with visible pulp, right? The pasteurized (concentrate or not) which are "pulp-free" looks pretty homogeneous, though I never tried emptying those in a transparent bottle to check if really homogeneous.

OP
J

jaa

American Walmarts are way better than their Canadian counterparts unfortunately :/

A

Anonymous

Do You Drink Tropicana Or Simply Orange?

Or is it good to avoid the flavor pack?

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

Enzymes and pulp. If it works for you, then do it. But it makes me bloated and gives me discomfort.

J

jb116

Never liked Tropicana. Made me feel "acidic". Simply Orange is great!