Treating depression with natural methods

jumper261

Hello everyone! Since 2018 I have been suffering from depression. Since then I have visited many doctors, tried a lot of different antidepressants.

My symptoms are: apathy, low energy, low libido, drowsiness, mild anhedonia, sometimes sleep problems (waking up too early), lack of enthusiasm and drive, and the like.

This year I came across this forum, learned about many supplements and other sources of health information.
I have not taken antidepressants for several months now, I am treated with alternative methods.

My set of supplements:
On an empty stomach upon awakening - 2000mg D, L, -phenylalanine, 500mg Rhodiola

After breakfast - b2, P5P, VitC

Afternoon - b12

Third meal - b1, VitC

After dinner - 400mg magnesium glycinate, D3 + K2, vitC

Also, I changed my diet. I Avoid Gluten, Milk, PUFA

These supplements have improved my condition, sometimes I feel really good, but still it is not enough. I think I am clearly lacking in dopamine.

Help me please, share tips and your thoughts. I wish everyone a good productive day!

benkiller47

Hey, have you tried jon st wort ? It's super efficient for depression. I've used it myself occasionally

golder

Hey, have you tried jon st wort ? It's super efficient for depression. I've used it myself occasionally
Very interesting. Has peat spoken about it favourably? I would be keen to try it, as long as it works through a mechanism of action that doesn’t go against the Peaty principles of increasing seratonin

lampofred

I think depression is due to high phosphate. I would read RP's article on phosphate. Sugar, calcium, avoiding fat (especially PUFA but even too much SFA), avoiding starch, taking aspirin, niacinamide, good quality vitamin E, coffee, thyroid, will all lower phosphate.

Mito

Agmatine for brain health​

Let me give you a few good reasons why agmatine is so great for the brain. Agmatine:

#1 Is very potent neuroprotective and can help prevent the neurological death of dopaminergic neurons.

One of the reasons people start to feel depressed and low in motivation is due to elevated oxidative stress which is killing the dopaminergic neurons. Agmatine protects these neurons against damage and death.

peter88

Personally, I have felt my best dropping all supplements and focusing on eating as much as I can tolerate. On top of that, spending as much time outdoors and living a productive lifestyle.

Scenes

I think depression is due to high phosphate. I would read RP's article on phosphate. Sugar, calcium, avoiding fat (especially PUFA but even too much SFA), avoiding starch, taking aspirin, niacinamide, good quality vitamin E, coffee, thyroid, will all lower phosphate.
Seconding this. Calcium is phenomenal for mood, positivity, outlook etc. Combine with nice sunny days and even severe stress feels like I can overcome and move forward positively.

youngsinatra

Nutritious animal-based diet with non-irritating carbs.
Lots of magnesium glycinate. (Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment)

„Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits. These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium. Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime. Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented.“

Last edited:

aniepodam

Sun, fixing your circadian rhytm, NO LIGHT in night during sleep (it can mess your dopamine), exercise, supplement DHA/EPA (if you dont eat fish)

OP
J

jumper261

No, I haven't tried it. I've always thought this herb raises serotonin and might make me even more tired:(

Korven

Try avoiding starch and fermentable fiber for 1 month and see how you feel. Supplements don't help if you have gut inflammation/endotoxin poisoning.

GreekDemiGod

Honestly, you will never cure depression with meds.
I guarantee that if tomorrow you wake up a millionaire, live by the sea, eat ripe fruits everyday and not have the stress of a 9-5 job, you will be happy, or at least much happier.

You are not living the life you desire. You are not meeting your soul's needs. That is the root cause of depression, basically.
Even if you get to a perfect hormonal profile: high thyroid, high dopamine & low serotonin, the bliss you will experience will be temporary, unless your life circumstance change.

There is also the below perspective, depression = inferior genes:

Depression is actually an evolved survival trait. It buffers lesser males from entering into potentially life-threatening confrontations with superior males.

golder

I guarantee that if tomorrow you wake up a millionaire, live by the sea, eat ripe fruits everyday and not have the stress of a 9-5 job, you will be happy, or at least much happier.

You are not living the life you desire. You are not meeting your soul's needs. That is the root cause of depression, basically.
Even if you get to a perfect hormonal profile: high thyroid, high dopamine & low serotonin, the bliss you will experience will be temporary, unless your life circumstance change.

Depression is actually an evolved survival trait. It buffers lesser males from entering into potentially life-threatening confrontations with superior males.
This is an important post but difficult for me to read as I always look for the new supplement to ‘fix me’. Thank you.

lampofred

I also think thiamine might lower phosphate (by raising CO2) and so is probably helpful for depression, but I don't have as much experience with it as I do with the other things I mentioned in my previous post (aspirin, niacinamide, vitamin E, etc.), which is why I didn't mention it there. But I've started using it the past few days and so far it's seeming to be beneficial, but I will have to observe its effects in the long-run; RP says he doesn't recommend chronic isolated supplement use as they almost always have subtle contaminants.

OP
J

jumper261

Agmatine for brain health​

Let me give you a few good reasons why agmatine is so great for the brain. Agmatine:

#1 Is very potent neuroprotective and can help prevent the neurological death of dopaminergic neurons.

One of the reasons people start to feel depressed and low in motivation is due to elevated oxidative stress which is killing the dopaminergic neurons. Agmatine protects these neurons against damage and death.
Personally, I have felt my best dropping all supplements and focusing on eating as much as I can tolerate. On top of that, spending as much time outdoors and living a productive lifestyle.

Seconding this. Calcium is phenomenal for mood, positivity, outlook etc. Combine with nice sunny days and even severe stress feels like I can overcome and move forward positively.
Nutritious animal-based diet with non-irritating carbs.
Lots of magnesium glycinate. (Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment)

„Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits. These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium. Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime. Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented.“
Sun, fixing your circadian rhytm, NO LIGHT in night during sleep (it can mess your dopamine), exercise, supplement DHA/EPA (if you dont eat fish)
It apparently also raise dopamine, give it a try, small dose see how you feel
Try avoiding starch and fermentable fiber for 1 month and see how you feel. Supplements don't help if you have gut inflammation/endotoxin poisoning.
I also think thiamine might lower phosphate (by raising CO2) and so is probably helpful for depression, but I don't have as much experience with it as I do with the other things I mentioned in my previous post (aspirin, niacinamide, vitamin E, etc.), which is why I didn't mention it there. But I've started using it the past few days and so far it's seeming to be beneficial, but I will have to observe its effects in the long-run; RP says he doesn't recommend chronic isolated supplement use as they almost always have subtle contaminants.
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will order calcium, agmatine and test them. Hope this helps me ...

OP
J

jumper261

My life is wonderful. Depression is caused only by endogenous disorders, brain chemistry is disrupted, there is no physical strength, but thank you for your answer.

stoic

My life is wonderful. Depression is caused only by endogenous disorders, brain chemistry is disrupted, there is no physical strength, but thank you for your answer.
And what do you think causes endogenous disorders?

Lifestyle and environment are essential to mental health, I don't think anyone can dispute that.

Your viewpoint is convenient because it allows you to rely on drugs and supplements instead of actively working on your goals and habits.

I also suffer from most of your symptoms, and while I'm always trying new protocols, I know that whatever they do for me, it won't last unless I also work on improving my lifestyle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals