Treating Cancer With Thyroid

Ray-Z

I'm starting this thread at the request of another forum member.

If you have any experiences, thoughts, questions, recommendations, etc. relating to the use of thyroid to treat cancer, please consider contributing them to this thread. Many thanks in advance. :thankyou

I will kick off the thread with a quote from Ray Peat's book, Progesterone in Orthomolecular Medicine. The quote comes from a chapter titled "Warburg's Cancer Theory, Cachexia, and Thyroid Therapy," which is obviously worthwhile reading for anyone interested in this topic. In this chapter, Peat explains Warburg's view that (as summarized on p. 27) "all cancers have defective respiration, by which he meant that glucose is consumed too rapidly, even when there is adequate oxygen." Throughout the rest of the chapter, Peat describes the mechanisms by which cancer interferes with metabolism and spreads inflammation, and by which thyroid, progesterone, pregnenolone, and the usual host of pro-metabolic substances can reverse this degeneration.

Here's Peat's conclusion (p. 30)...

Ray Peat said:
Once we accept Warburg's thesis, that damaged respiration is the prime cause of cancer, the therapeutic use of thyroid in cancer seems obvious. Aging and estrogen-dominance are other states in which cells seem to be relatively insensitive to thyroid hormones. (Unsaturated fats are involved in resistance to thyroid, and promote the incidence of cancer in a variety of ways.) If the liver is a main site of T4's conversion to T3, cancer patients may require very large doses of thyroid hormone, or else direct use of T3 (possibly in large doses), since the liver is so likely to be inefficient. Incidentally, thyroid's ability to improve digestion and peristalsis is improtant for liver function; endotoxin absorbed from the intestine can be a serious burden to the liver, and it is known to cause a large increase in the blood estrogen level.

kiran

Thanks for posting that. Nothing more specific for cancers or other tumors, eh?

OP
R

Ray-Z

kiran said:
Thanks for posting that. Nothing more specific for cancers or other tumors, eh?

No problem, Kiran.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you rephrase? I haz teh stooooopidz. :mrgreen:

kiran

I have some lipomas, which are fatty tumors. Generally they're pretty benign.

I suppose there's no help for it other than large doses of T3, and the standard stuff like aspirin/pregnenolone, etc.

Sorry it was mostly meant to be a rhetorical question.

OP
R

Ray-Z

kiran said:
I have some lipomas, which are fatty tumors. Generally they're pretty benign.

I suppose there's no help for it other than large doses of T3, and the standard stuff like aspirin/pregnenolone, etc.

Sorry it was mostly meant to be a rhetorical question.

No problem. I will take another look at the chapter I quoted. IIRC, Peat doesn't discuss lipomas specifically, but he may have had some general suggestions about tumors.

kiran

Ray-Z said:
No problem. I will take another look at the chapter I quoted. IIRC, Peat doesn't discuss lipomas specifically, but he may have had some general suggestions about tumors.

Exactly my thought.

OP
R

Ray-Z

Kiran:

The chapter of Progesterone in Orthomolecular Medicine quoted above includes a couple of passages discussing ways to starve tumors.

After observing that lactic acid can induce growth of blood vessels to supply a tumor with nutrients (p. 28), Peat makes the following recommendations.

Ray Peat said:
Thyroid and magnesium make respiration efficient, in the sense of producing ATP, which is required for the Pasteur effect to turn off glycolysis. Lactic acid can't be made (in humans) from fats or alcohol...and so the use of acetic acid, butyric acid, and other fatty acids (as in coconut oil, for example), combined with adequate thyroid and magnesium, should make a significant contribution toward removing the lactate stimulus for increased blood supply to the tumor.

Ray Peat said:
Progesterone and pregnenolone, by reducing the cancer-induced excess of the glucocorticoid hormones, would also make a contribution to decreasing the supply of glucose to the tumor.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Excellent thread, thank you Ray Z! :rockout

Lucy

Since my father just got diagnosed with eye melanoma, and I consulted with Peat on this issue, I guess I can contribute to this thread a bit... first Peat wrote this:

I had some probable melanomas years ago, and I found that progesterone and DHEA and increased thyroid caused them to disappear quickly.

Then he told me my father's symptoms (I described all his health issues, not just cancer) are very suggestive of a deficiency of pregnenolone, progesterone, and thyroid, as well as the vitamin and minerals. I then asked about the dose of thyroid and he replied:

Although I used myself it on things that appeared to be very active melanomas, I usually recommend a slightly hyperthyroid state for helping to control it.

He gave lots of other advice too but I guess this thread is limited to the use of thyroid in cancer...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Lucy, there is a Ray Peat email depository thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1035

Thank you for posting that advice from Ray Peat!

Lucy

That page is really useful, thanks Charlie! I already posted all correspondence regarding my father's cancer, will soon post the rest as well (there is quite some material by now, it's been some years since I've known Peat :))

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Lucy said:
That page is really useful, thanks Charlie! I already posted all correspondence regarding my father's cancer, will soon post the rest as well (there is quite some material by now, it's been some years since I've known Peat :))

Lucy, that will be really awesome. Thank you!

OP
R

Ray-Z

Lucy: Great info from Ray Peat. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Charlie: Thanks very much. :cheers <-- Pretend those are coffee mugs.

Tink

Since my father just got diagnosed with eye melanoma, and I consulted with Peat on this issue, I guess I can contribute to this thread a bit... first Peat wrote this:
Then he told me my father's symptoms (I described all his health issues, not just cancer) are very suggestive of a deficiency of pregnenolone, progesterone, and thyroid, as well as the vitamin and minerals
[QUOTE;I already posted all correspondence regarding my father's cancer, will soon post the rest as well (there is quite some material by now, it's been some years since I've known Peat :))

Lucy, did you have any more information? Did you post it?
I've been diagnosed with eye tumour,,they 'think' it's melanoma. I'm doing everything i can but wondered did your Dad get over it?
Thanks J.