Trazadone Experiements?

Nicole W.

I like Trazadone. It's helped me with severe insomnia when Lorazepam, Tamazepam and various naturopathic remedies couldn't. I used it for about 6 months at that time and it really reduced my anxiety and reset my sleep patterns. Since that was one of the scariest times of my life, I am very grateful that Trazodone was able to get me back to my old self. I still use a very small dose at night whenever I'm worried or stressed. I sleep better with it and never wake up groggy.
For some reason, Trazadone is rarely discussed on this forum even though it's purportedly anti- serotonigenic. Possibly because it can affect the heart if using high doses for extended periods? I wish others would weigh in and explain their objection to Trazadone if there is one. I'd definitely like to know if there is a real dark side to this drug that I'm currently unaware of.

DaveFoster

I like Trazadone. It's helped me with severe insomnia when Lorazepam, Tamazepam and various naturopathic remedies couldn't. I used it for about 6 months at that time and it really reduced my anxiety and reset my sleep patterns. Since that was one of the scariest times of my life, I am very grateful that Trazodone was able to get me back to my old self. I still use a very small dose at night whenever I'm worried or stressed. I sleep better with it and never wake up groggy.
For some reason, Trazadone is rarely discussed on this forum even though it's purportedly anti- serotonigenic. Possibly because it can affect the heart if using high doses for extended periods? I wish others would weigh in and explain their objection to Trazadone if there is one. I'd definitely like to know if there is a real dark side to this drug that I'm currently unaware of.
It prolongs the QT interval, and it's binding affinities resemble mirtazapine or some TCAs.

It's not safe, but probably not a metabolic poison like the SSRI's. It elevates prolactin, but that's not surprising giving its sedative effects, and the effect could probably be offset by coffee or caffeine.

DaveFoster

"...Trazodone has a dirty metabolite: meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine. This metabolite is actually an agonist at the 5-HT receptors 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT3 and 5-HT7. These actions account for side effects such as: hallucinations, cardiotoxicity, dysphoria, loss of apetite, nausea, headache and depression."

Reference: Is trazodone similar to remeron?

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

i dunno if any sleep aids are really safe other then anti histimes. at right doses..

"...Trazodone has a dirty metabolite: meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine. This metabolite is actually an agonist at the 5-HT receptors 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT3 and 5-HT7. These actions account for side effects such as: hallucinations, cardiotoxicity, dysphoria, loss of apetite, nausea, headache and depression."

Reference: Is trazodone similar to remeron?
Wow seems like that metabolite might not be very present at low doses though right ?

DaveFoster

Wow seems like that metabolite might not be very present at low doses though right ?
It's enough to produce pronounced symptoms, so there's some toxicity.

I wonder if there’s a peaty sleep aid. This is an emergency. I have taken Cypro at 8 mg and still can’t sleep. Think it’s due to mold.

ebs

Late reply, but could you (or anyone else on this forum) elaborate/confirm how it is anti-serotonigenic? I'm using it currently as an alternative for Mirtazapine for sleep but I have mixed feelings. It does help for sleep quite well, but it doesn't feel similar to other anti-serotonin substances such as niacinamide, glycine, taurine, etc. It actually feels a bit similar to Gabapentin, which apparantly has pro-serotonin properties.

Last edited:
OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

some guy claimed it was estrogenic and bad. It helps me fall asleep although seroqul was a lot stronger. If it works it works hopefully it keeps working though and didn't poo out

Nicole W.

Late reply, but could you (or anyone else on this forum) elaborate/confirm how it is anti-serotonigenic? I'm using it currently as an alternative for Mirtazapine for sleep but I have mixed feelings. It does help for sleep quite well, but it doesn't feel similar to other anti-serotonin substances such as niacinamide, glycine, taurine, etc. It actually feels a bit similar to Gabapentin, which apparantly has pro-serotonin properties.
Sorry, I didn’t see your question earlier. As I understand it, Trazadone is a serotonin antagonist. It’s a SARI drug. I haven’t needed it in a few years now but it was a life saver when I couldn’t sleep. It completely reset me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals