Travis’ Quora Page

OP
R J

R J

True. Not just more likely, but 10 times more likely.

However...... it's also true the vast majority of smokers won't get lung cancer. In fact, 90% won't.

The stats break down so that 1% of the general population will get lung cancer, and 10% of smokers will get lung cancer.

Funny, you never hear and ad campaign that states "The vast majority of smokers, 90%, will never get lung cancer." But they'll hype that 10x figure over and over and over.

After corona meme how can any of us take any data seriously anymore

Ableton

Ever seen the lung of a smoker that smoked only tobacco, and not one that also dealt with added fire retardants and ammonia that's put into modern cigarettes? Yeah, I haven't either. That was Nightlight's argument after all. So, your propaganda picture doesn't really add much to the argument, either way.

You know, back as late as 1979, McDonalds was a pretty healthy meal for fast food. Fries fried in beef tallow, decent hamburger (bun still had some raw iron due to fortification, but less than when it spiked in the mid 80s), and soda made with real sugar.

However good or bad tobacco is, the government turned the whole "Smoking=BAD" prophecy into a self fulling one, by mandating the addition of several poisons (such as the flame retardants and ammonia mentioned above). As was done to alcohol during prohibition (when it contained a lot of industrial toxins like acetone and such), making it much more acutely toxic.

As for "common sense," there have been several examples of people in their 80s, 90s and 100s that regularly smoked. Sometimes, real life examples say more than pictures or studies.
Travis commented in threats discussing higher prices of commercial cigarettes with his arguments without making any such differentiation.
I am also happy to have someone explain to me how even burning nothing but tobacco and smoking that does not cause a black lung. I cannot explain it myself, because whenever I am burning something leafy its turning black and the particles are grey or black as well. But since I am merely using observation a d common sense to come to the conclusion that smoking tobacco causes black tobacco smoke+ particles and that inhaling them would blacken your lung as to my limited knowledge we have no way to clean that stuff up with, I am happy if someone explains it to me and all the others reading this thread. Or are you saying smoking tobacco does induce a black lung but it is not a sign of degradation in this case, in comparison to a lung of pink color? Please elaborate either way

Ableton

True. Not just more likely, but 10 times more likely.

However...... it's also true the vast majority of smokers won't get lung cancer. In fact, 90% won't.

The stats break down so that 1% of the general population will get lung cancer, and 10% of smokers will get lung cancer.

Funny, you never hear and ad campaign that states "The vast majority of smokers, 90%, will never get lung cancer." But they'll hype that 10x figure over and over and over.
Nice, my mom was a chain smoker and got breast cancer. She was also not in the 10 % then. Should probably get some cigarattes from the gas station. It’s getting late

tankasnowgod

I am also happy to have someone explain to me how even burning nothing but tobacco and smoking that does not cause a black lung.

Not even modern commercial cigarettes will cause a black lung. You'd have to be a coal miner constantly inhaling coal dust, or working in some other area with heavy industrial pollution. So smoking pure tobacco most certainly won't cause it.

Nice, my mom was a chain smoker and got breast cancer. She was also not in the 10 % then. Should probably get some cigarattes from the gas station. It’s getting late

Yeah, and my mom never smoked and got breast cancer. Correlation does not equal causation. Also, my stat was specifically about LUNG cancer. I'm pretty sure the breast isn't part of the lung, so unless your mom also got LUNG cancer, then she was part of the 90%.

OP
R J

R J

Not even modern commercial cigarettes will cause a black lung. You'd have to be a coal miner constantly inhaling coal dust, or working in some other area with heavy industrial pollution. So smoking pure tobacco most certainly won't cause it.

Yeah, and my mom never smoked and got breast cancer. Correlation does not equal causation. Also, my stat was specifically about LUNG cancer. I'm pretty sure the breast isn't part of the lung, so unless your mom also got LUNG cancer, then she was part of the 90%.

I think he’s sarcastically saying that though she didn’t get lung cancer that means she can happily smoke now since she’s in that 90%. It’s an argument from emotional place more than logic but it’s about his mom’s breast cancer diagnosis so it can be forgiven.

The same thing played out in nightlight’s thread, ppl saying they know someone negatively effected by smoking so how dare you say it’s not bad and even healthy.

I wanna go get a pack of organic tobacco but it’s taxed absurdly in Canada and might just order some online or grow my own.

Ableton

I think he’s sarcastically saying that though she didn’t get lung cancer that means she can happily smoke now since she’s in that 90%. It’s an argument from emotional place more than logic but it’s about his mom’s breast cancer diagnosis so it can be forgiven.

The same thing played out in nightlight’s thread, ppl saying they know someone negatively effected by smoking so how dare you say it’s not bad and even healthy.

I wanna go get a pack of organic tobacco but it’s taxed absurdly in Canada and might just order some online or grow my own.
Are you doubting you could get breast cancer from smoking?
Thats like saying you can only get stomach and gut cancer from foods

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Just speculation. My theory is that Travis was obsessive and it was all or nothing. He used to have a problem playing on line chess at all hours and I think he had to withdraw from the forum because it was absorbing his every waking moment and that wasn't sustainable.
Maybe in the future when his death isn’t so raw we can have a thread where we share what we learned from him in private conversations. Nothing personal about him needs to be included but it would be a great way to help others learn from his genius and keep his legacy alive.

Ableton

Whenever I hear about someone’s passing I want to know details of how and why, if from illness I want to know their treatment and lifestyle leading up and during etc and in case of someone taking their life I want to know what kind of traumas and diet and health etc

Isn’t it important we know if he took his own life ? It would help put some context into his dietary reccomendations etc. I know this sounds insensitive but I just want to learn.

What’s with everyone just accepting lockdowns cause people to kill them selves? Didn’t he live at home with his family and work for his dad beekeeping? He seemed so intelligent , why would you attribute a lockdown due to a meme virus as contributing greatly to their death? May be he couldn’t deal with some other issue. I dont know, obviously.

Wish the people who knew him would share. What was in his message the day he died? Why keep it a secret? Shouldn’t we talk about it?
It will just result in people doing online psycho analysis, pretending they know ***t
As long as there was no 3rd party involvement from the medical establishment or something, it doesn’t matter, because all we could do is speculate
Humans are complex

OP
R J

R J

Well someone insinuated lockdown and I think that might miss the mark? I don’t know.

OP
R J

R J

I don't think you should post it here, either.

Man, that sucks though. I always enjoyed Travis's posts. I thought he was much older than he was, easily in his 50's or 60's. His knowledge and writing style was so deep and refined, yet with a wicked sense of humor at times. You won't find many people in their early 30s with knowledge like that, even fewer than liked to work on cars, too.

It was around July/August that all of the lockdown nonsense was starting to get me pretty depressed, too. Thankfully, I had an old bottle of ritanserin, lots of cyproheptadine, and decided to go no starch for a spell. Some of those things might very well have saved my life. I was actually shocked at my mental and energetic turnaround by the end of August. Sounds like Travis succumbed to the pressure.

RIP, Travis. Sure hope they have great coffee and dates wherever you are. And a pound of kale.

Why did you get depressed over lockdown? Personal financial insecurity effects?

InChristAlone

There is more than lung cancer, there's also emphysema and COPD and mouth and throat cancers. My Grandma was a smoker, she did quit but she was on oxygen by the time she was 70, it wasn't cancer. Thankfully my Grandpa quit long before she did and didn't smoke as much, but he died of throat cancer at age 96. I agree with Peat on this one and likely will never get into tobacco or nicotine use. Caffeine seems enough for me.

I also would want to know how Travis died especially if he's being lifted up as a guru. If his dietary and lifestyle recommendations lead to suicide I think we should know. I didn't really follow along what he recommended because I greatly disagreed with the plant based stuff. I think meat is grounding and many who favor plants seem to have nervous type energy that makes them stay up all hours of the night and seem to just keep going and going not realizing that their mental health is suffering. He also proposed that autism is a folate deficiency in the brain... But did folate help him conquer depression if he committed suicide? There is a huge issue with methylation based protocols as you can really fire your brain up and you won't be able to stop yourself if you get the idea in your head life is unbearable. I've seen people say they practically went psychotic doing some of those protocols. I walk big circles around the methylation based stuff now as I have a history of panic attacks and brain on fire type stuff.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
There is more than lung cancer, there's also emphysema and COPD and mouth and throat cancers. My Grandma was a smoker, she did quit but she was on oxygen by the time she was 70, it wasn't cancer. Thankfully my Grandpa quit long before she did and didn't smoke as much, but he died of throat cancer at age 96. I agree with Peat on this one and likely will never get into tobacco or nicotine use. Caffeine seems enough for me.

I also would want to know how Travis died especially if he's being lifted up as a guru. If his dietary and lifestyle recommendations lead to suicide I think we should know. I didn't really follow along what he recommended because I greatly disagreed with the plant based stuff. I think meat is grounding and many who favor plants seem to have nervous type energy that makes them stay up all hours of the night and seem to just keep going and going not realizing that their mental health is suffering. He also proposed that autism is a folate deficiency in the brain... But did folate help him conquer depression if he committed suicide? There is a huge issue with methylation based protocols as you can really fire your brain up and you won't be able to stop yourself if you get the idea in your head life is unbearable. I've seen people say they practically went psychotic doing some of those protocols. I walk big circles around the methylation based stuff now as I have a history of panic attacks and brain on fire type stuff.
I remember him writing that he ate a whole coconut a day and a large quantity of raw collard greens. I used to read Seth Roberts blog and he died suddenly. He advocated an odd diet, the Shangrila Diet, that included drinking a large quantity of olive or other oil while holding your nose. He ate lots of butter as in a pound per day. Intense people push past some clues to potential problems.

mrchibbs

I remember reading a thread on this forum where there was a report where they asked centenarians the key to their long life. It was amazing. It was almost an exact 50/50 split of people who said either smoking and alcohol avoidance was the key to their long life, or smoking and alcohol was why they lived so long.

I've seen this as well. Clearly I don't want to say smoking and drinking is the key to being a centenarian, as there are just as many who don't smoke and drink. I think the common denominator is they all seem to stick to a certain routine which makes them feel good, and it seemingly always involves something we would see as a quirk, like eating a chicken soup everyday, or ice cream, or the very common chocolate.

RealNeat

Wow. Crazy, RIP Travis... I'm "new" to posting on the forum compared to others but have been a lurker for quite a while. I have albums of screenshots that I took of Travis' conversations, I was hoping to lure him into a podcast and pick his brain. So much for that thought. Travis' corner is quite entertaining and addicting to read. He will be missed.

tankasnowgod

Why did you get depressed over lockdown? Personal financial insecurity effects?

Nah, financially I've been fine the entire time. At heart, I'm a patriot, and lean pretty libertarian. I also tended to believe that people tended to be pretty smart, for the most part.

It's pained me to see all those ideas just shredded. To realize we live under a bunch of treasonous petty tyrants, those being most of America's Governors, Mayors, and especially, "Health Officials." Seeing other people's lives and businesses destroyed, over a fairy tale, a prophecy, an outright lie. Coming from a profession where many used to take an oath to "First, do no harm." Yeah, well that same industry had inflected nothing but harm on the word for at least 7 months now.

Worst of all, seeing most people accept it. To walk around in masks during the "Coronavirus Pandemic," but those idiots didn't wear masks during the "Tuberculous Pandemic" of 2019. Compare the numbers, Tuberculous still killed more in 2019 than even the bogus COVID numbers claim for 2020.

I'm just utterly disgusted with everything that's happened since March, and especially the lies that have been told to cover it up.

Summer

I’ve had two grandparents on separate sides of my family die of lung cancer. Both smoked. But of course those were traditional cigarettes.

I know almost nothing about tobacco. If it’s so beneficial why not just chew it? Maybe even make tea with it? I can’t see why breathing in smoke would be necessary.