Traveling to California March 2022

dfspcc20

I'm going to be traveling via domestic flight to California in March 2022. Southern California specifically.
Anyone have any experience/insights of what to expect as an unvaccinated adult?
Staying at AirBnBs, not big hotels.

Nicole W.

I'm going to be traveling via domestic flight to California in March 2022. Southern California specifically.
I’d stay away from LA if possible. It’s as restrictive as the Bay Area. Palm Springs is also pretty restrictive… no indoor dining without a vaccination card but the communities (the rest of Coachella Valley) surrounding it are pretty relaxed.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

I’d stay away from LA if possible. It’s as restrictive as the Bay Area. Palm Springs is also pretty restrictive… no indoor dining without a vaccination card but the communities (the rest of Coachella Valley) surrounding it are pretty relaxed.

Thanks! Will mostly be in San Diego and Palm Springs/Palm Desert.

kyhmil

I’ve been hanging down around Diego - Joshua tree the last month. The weathers great at the least. In my experience you can get away without a mask in most places so will give you hell of course. Haven’t run into any issues with needing a card yet...

Like mentioned above I’d stay away from LA that place sucks haha.

Cara

Awesome, you won’t run into much in Palm Desert or San Diego. Avoid LA, I was just at Erewhon and it’s very stressful and strict. Most places suggest a mask in SoCal but aren’t required. You can go into Whole Foods, coffee shops etc. in the desert without a shot and be fine, most places hand out masks if you misplace yours. Pretty laid back in Encinitas, check out Nectarine Grove and GoodOnYa for organic coffee and food. Safe travels!

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Awesome, you won’t run into much in Palm Desert or San Diego. Avoid LA, I was just at Erewhon and it’s very stressful and strict. Most places suggest a mask in SoCal but aren’t required. You can go into Whole Foods, coffee shops etc. in the desert without a shot and be fine, most places hand out masks if you misplace yours. Pretty laid back in Encinitas, check out Nectarine Grove and GoodOnYa for organic coffee and food. Safe travels!

Thanks! That's reassuring.

tankasnowgod

Thanks! Will mostly be in San Diego and Palm Springs/Palm Desert.

Orange County doesn't seem to care, either. Anyway, Newsom just lifted his mask mandate. Even when it was "in effect," I went to several grocery stores maskless, and no one cared. The Costco I went to was handing people masks as they walked in, but they didn't care if you wore it once in the store.

Nicole W.

Orange County doesn't seem to care, either. Anyway, Newsom just lifted his mask mandate.
Believe it or not, some restaurants in Palm Springs are STILL asking for proof of vaccination. Other surrounding cities are okay though.

tankasnowgod

Believe it or not, some restaurants in Palm Springs are STILL asking for proof of vaccination.
I believe it. That was never a statewide thing, so who knows how various cities/counties will react. Plus, I'm sure some businesses will continue to ask even if it's dropped. Although I would think that would affect their bottom line enough so that it wouldn't last more than a couple months or so. There's no way it will continue long term, unless some government entity "forces" businesses to keep that in effect (regardless of who or whatever dreamt up that policy).

Nicole W.

In the case of Palm Springs, it is high season and the down town area is crushed with tourists. It won’t matter if restaurants and other businesses turn the unvaccinated away. Given the city’s left of center politics, the “mandates” could persist longer that a few months and beyond all rationality.

tankasnowgod

In the case of Palm Springs, it is high season and the down town area is crushed with tourists. It won’t matter if restaurants and other businesses turn the unvaccinated away. Given the city’s left of center politics, the “mandates” could persist longer that a few months and beyond all rationality.
Lol. I thought the "rationality" line was crossed in March or April of 2020, so we are way beyond a few months at this point.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Vaccination status turned out to be a non-issue on the trip. We were never asked whether or not we were vaccinated, and only a few times were required to wear masks (mostly on the airplane to/from). It really didn't even come up in conversation, even with some very left-of-center relatives we visited.

Lollipop2

Vaccination status turned out to be a non-issue on the trip. We were never asked whether or not we were vaccinated, and only a few times were required to wear masks (mostly on the airplane to/from). It really didn't even come up in conversation, even with some very left-of-center relatives we visited.
Nice. Sounds like you had a good trip. Good for you.