Traveling Strategies

Mhouse

Hi everybody,

First-time poster here. Like many - it seems - I came to this forum via Danny Roddy’s work. I’m surprised by the incredible amount of good posts, interesting discussions and helpful attitude of people here. This is something I have honestly never seen on any internet forum; I’m very happy that such a place exists :):

My reason for posting is an upcoming holiday trip (to the Baltic states and Russia) with a few friends of mine. None of them are particularly interested in nutrition, just in food (and beers). So, we’ll be eating meals mostly in restaurants for two weeks. The sole purpose of the trip is to have fun - so I’ll make sure not to stress about the PUFA-meals and other metabolism-inhibiting foods too much. Nevertheless, I’d like to do some easy damage-control where possible. I realize there are similar topics on this forum. From those, I understood that it could be good to take some extra vitamin E, and avoid aspirin and niacinamide, in order to not store the PUFA as fat.

What I’d like to ask now:

- how much IU of vitamin E would be reasonable to take? Generally, I’ll have no clue how much crap is in a single meal I’m getting (I’ll try to ask the waiter to have things prepared in butter). What would be signs of having too much, too little? Would a product like TocoVit be reasonable, or better something like EstroBan for balance with the other fat-solubles, too?

- is a daily raw carrot *without* the vinegar, salt and coconut oil - taken separately from meals - better than none at all?

- what other tactics do you have for dealing with food you cannot really control (I mean, I have a say in the place we go to for eating, but choice is limited this way), what are absolute essentials to you?

Makrosky

I think you already got it. You mentioned estroban... If you apply it topically in the morning you'll have kind of a sustained release so it is more convenient. I think 8 drops a day or 16 a day is going to be enough to counteract PUFA. Be careful it can boost your metabolism a lot so you'll want more food and you will ingest more PUFA. One thing I always find very useful when outside is carrying around a bottle of OJ (from any supermarket) instead of water so I keep hidrated and glucose ok and hence I don't have to eat any crap in desperation because I'm are starving. If you're very hungry when exploring a new city you're even gonna eat a pound of french fries in sunflower oil with mayo.

Other than that... Just enjoy the trip, beers included.

DesertRat

I travelled in Italy for 3 months and found it hard, but not impossible, to avoid PUFA. We had refrigerators in most rooms and I always bought a liter of OJ and reduced fat milk there. Most breakfast buffets had hard boiled eggs and fruit. I did eat a raw carrot often (tough to remember when you're running around) and while I can't attest to its benefits, it certainly did no harm. It was impossible for find Vitamin E -- I wish I'd brought enough for the whole time. You can always get boiled and baked potatoes and grilled meat or fish, which will at least keep you from the crappy oils.