Transition From Carnivore To RP Principles, High Fasting And Post Meal BGL

rhythmvortex

Hi, This is my first post to the forum , so just some back ground on what has lead me here, Im coming from experimenting with Carnivore diet, iv been trying to sort out my health problems for years, im, 48 , 6ft 5 , 90 kg, if someone looked at me from the outside they would say i look healthy but I have been suffering constant daily headache for 2 years now, sleep problems and now have symptoms of POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome i.e I get dizzy going from squat to standing). The headache started after doing a set of weighted sit ups? I felt very bruised under the rib cage afterwards, got reflux symptoms and headache onset, reflux has mostly subsided but headache remained and then somewhere along the line the POTS symptoms began! I also wake up at 3 am every night, feeling in a stressed state, I started to think maybe I had blood sugar issues so I bought a BGL monitor to test my self. I found I had elevated Fasting BGL (6.3 - 6-8 /113 - 122 ) in the morning after waking( interestingly when i wake at 3 am BGL are also high at 6.3) , I proceeded to get BGL tested at the clinic and to my surprise it showed normal fasting(5.5 / 99) and normal (5.1 / 92) after 2 hour BG test? So doc said there is nothing to worry about. I still wasn't happy about the elevated BGL and all my symptoms so I went on the carnivore diet (CD) as an experiment.

The CD did help the fasting BGLs, bringing them down (fasting and post meal) to a stable 5 to 5.5 sometimes going below to 4.8. On carnivore the headache (not sure if its related to BGL but certainly gets worse when i eat carbs) lowered in intensity to just a feeling of slight pressure in the head with only small amount of pain I however could still feel it was lurking. However even though CD lowered my headache pain, I experienced very bad sleep and constant dry mouth / thirst that no amount of drinking water/ electrolytes helped, plus I got to a point where I just couldn't stomach another steak! I cant imagine eating like that indefinitely ! As soon as I reintroduced carbs (RP style) the thirst and dry mouth went away within an hour as well as a feeling of warmth throughout my body.
Problem now is, headache has returned to its full extent and now my fasting BGL's each morning has gone back up to around 6.3 - 6.8 /113 -122 and my post meal BGL test can go up to anywhere between 9 - 10 / 160 -180 just from drinking OJ and or fruit with eggs and low fat milk etc. My BGL does however return normal 5.1 - 5.7 within 30 mins post meal (unless iv eaten a fatty meal as well in which case it takes longer to return and then usually dent drop as low), both the post meal and the high fasting BGL levels concern me.

Does anyone have experience with tracking and regulating BGL on RP inspired eating?

what is normal, should I adjust or lower fruit/ Carbs to reduce the BGL response after meals, what is considered a healthy response?

If I did lower carbs, to maintain my calories id have to increase fat but this confuses me , wouldn't that be just adding more fatty acids to the blood making it harder for the body to metabolise the sugars?

is it better to transition to eating high carb slowly? if so how would this look, ie eating higher fat and protein meals (full fat milk and or meat ) with a small piece of fruit and gradually increasing fruit as percentage of the meals while slowly lowering fat or is there another way to transition?

any ideas/ experiences shared would be greatly appreciated
many thanks

SB4

I don't have much in the way of ideas but do you experience an increase in POTS symptoms upon ingesting carbs? For me it is very noticable, thiamine helps with this so it could be worth a try but doesn't take it away.

Sofia

it takes time to get things right, maybe years, try b vitamins for sugar metabolism, theanine to calm down.

OP
rhythmvortex

rhythmvortex

I don't have much in the way of ideas but do you experience an increase in POTS symptoms upon ingesting carbs? For me it is very noticable, thiamine helps with this so it could be worth a try but doesn't take it away.

I'm not really sure about POTS being worse on carbs, I still had the blacking out on carnivore diet so either way I'm screwed, headache definitely feels worse, do u also have pots? How long have u been peating?

SB4

I'm not really sure about POTS being worse on carbs, I still had the blacking out on carnivore diet so either way I'm screwed, headache definitely feels worse, do u also have pots? How long have u been peating?
Yeah I have POTS, started slowly post viral, increasing over time. 9 years in atm. I am also in the wierd position where carbs induce symptoms yet ketosis does also. I tend to stay lowish carbs. I haven't ever really been peating. I just tend to stick to certain principles like low PUFA. The times I have done things close to peating involving higher carb my symptoms increased significantly.

EIRE24

How many calories were you eating on the carnivore diet? Also, when you say you added carbs and felt instant warmth and other negative symptoms vanished was this just a carb meal or what kind of foods made up the meal to get the instant warmth? I have a theory but want to see the answers to these questions first?

Hi, This is my first post to the forum , so just some back ground on what has lead me here, Im coming from experimenting with Carnivore diet, iv been trying to sort out my health problems for years, im, 48 , 6ft 5 , 90 kg, if someone looked at me from the outside they would say i look healthy but I have been suffering constant daily headache for 2 years now, sleep problems and now have symptoms of POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome i.e I get dizzy going from squat to standing). The headache started after doing a set of weighted sit ups? I felt very bruised under the rib cage afterwards, got reflux symptoms and headache onset, reflux has mostly subsided but headache remained and then somewhere along the line the POTS symptoms began! I also wake up at 3 am every night, feeling in a stressed state, I started to think maybe I had blood sugar issues so I bought a BGL monitor to test my self. I found I had elevated Fasting BGL (6.3 - 6-8 /113 - 122 ) in the morning after waking( interestingly when i wake at 3 am BGL are also high at 6.3) , I proceeded to get BGL tested at the clinic and to my surprise it showed normal fasting(5.5 / 99) and normal (5.1 / 92) after 2 hour BG test? So doc said there is nothing to worry about. I still wasn't happy about the elevated BGL and all my symptoms so I went on the carnivore diet (CD) as an experiment.

The CD did help the fasting BGLs, bringing them down (fasting and post meal) to a stable 5 to 5.5 sometimes going below to 4.8. On carnivore the headache (not sure if its related to BGL but certainly gets worse when i eat carbs) lowered in intensity to just a feeling of slight pressure in the head with only small amount of pain I however could still feel it was lurking. However even though CD lowered my headache pain, I experienced very bad sleep and constant dry mouth / thirst that no amount of drinking water/ electrolytes helped, plus I got to a point where I just couldn't stomach another steak! I cant imagine eating like that indefinitely ! As soon as I reintroduced carbs (RP style) the thirst and dry mouth went away within an hour as well as a feeling of warmth throughout my body.
Problem now is, headache has returned to its full extent and now my fasting BGL's each morning has gone back up to around 6.3 - 6.8 /113 -122 and my post meal BGL test can go up to anywhere between 9 - 10 / 160 -180 just from drinking OJ and or fruit with eggs and low fat milk etc. My BGL does however return normal 5.1 - 5.7 within 30 mins post meal (unless iv eaten a fatty meal as well in which case it takes longer to return and then usually dent drop as low), both the post meal and the high fasting BGL levels concern me.

Does anyone have experience with tracking and regulating BGL on RP inspired eating?

what is normal, should I adjust or lower fruit/ Carbs to reduce the BGL response after meals, what is considered a healthy response?

If I did lower carbs, to maintain my calories id have to increase fat but this confuses me , wouldn't that be just adding more fatty acids to the blood making it harder for the body to metabolise the sugars?

is it better to transition to eating high carb slowly? if so how would this look, ie eating higher fat and protein meals (full fat milk and or meat ) with a small piece of fruit and gradually increasing fruit as percentage of the meals while slowly lowering fat or is there another way to transition?

any ideas/ experiences shared would be greatly appreciated
many thanks

You maybe should keep whatever you did to reduce the Headache-issues.Also,supplement with everything under the notion of having a deficiency in everything,using excipient free high quality supplements.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals