Transdermal / Sublingual Absorbtion Of Salt? Absorbing Salt Without Ingesting It

BearWithMe

I'm getting desperate, even tiny amounts of salt in food gives me absolutely unbearable nausea for hours, but at the same time, I feel like my sodium stores are so low I'm going to collapse from dehydration soon.

Are there any ways of absorbing salt without actually ingesting it? How effective is the transdermal / sublingual absorbtion of salt?

redsun

I'm getting desperate, even tiny amounts of salt in food gives me absolutely unbearable nausea for hours, but at the same time, I feel like my sodium stores are so low I'm going to collapse from dehydration soon.

Are there any ways of absorbing salt without actually ingesting it? How effective is the transdermal / sublingual absorbtion of salt?

If you are having hyponatremia symptoms and having troubling ingesting salt this is the part where you go to the doctor to test your electrolytes and hormones so see if you have issues with retaining sodium. If you suspect something is off having low sodium can be dangerous and you need to get it checked out.

lampofred

You might have high phosphate. Do you have any quality vitamin E or aspirin or progesterone on hand? Or at least fruit juice or coca cola? Lowering FFA, increasing sugar, and increasing CO2 (bag breathing, coca cola) might help to lower phosphate, increase cellular hydration and decrease nausea and allow you to tolerate salt again.

Gelatin might help too (by lowering FFA) and bone broth might be an alternative way to get salt.

Epsom salt baths to increase magnesium may also help.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

If you are having hyponatremia symptoms and having troubling ingesting salt this is the part where you go to the doctor to test your electrolytes and hormones so see if you have issues with retaining sodium. If you suspect something is off having low sodium can be dangerous and you need to get it checked out.
I was to the doctor 6 months ago and the tests confirmed electrolyte imbalance.
In blood: low sodium, low potassium, very high calcium, very low phosphorus, high copper, high zinc, very low plasma renin activity, high cortisol
In urine: super-low sodium, chloride and phosphorus, high magnesium and calcium.
The doctor said it is not critical yet so he can't do nothing for me. It is very hard to get repeated examination soon after the last one in my country.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

You might have high phosphate. Do you have any quality vitamin E or aspirin or progesterone on hand? Or at least fruit juice or coca cola? Lowering FFA, increasing sugar, and increasing CO2 (bag breathing, coca cola) might help to lower phosphate, increase cellular hydration and decrease nausea and allow you to tolerate salt again.

Gelatin might help too (by lowering FFA) and bone broth might be an alternative way to get salt.

Epsom salt baths to increase magnesium may also help.
This post is very interesting because actually I have very low blood phosphate levels.

I did this to myself by eating diet practically devoid of phosphorus for years. I'm trying to fix that by drinking plenty of milk and eating a lot of dairy products, but after 2 years of dairy-based diet with plenty of phosphorus, it seems to be worse than before. :(

lampofred

This post is very interesting because actually I have very low blood phosphate levels.

I did this to myself by eating diet practically devoid of phosphorus for years. I'm trying to fix that by drinking plenty of milk and eating a lot of dairy products, but after 2 years of dairy-based diet with plenty of phosphorus, it seems to be worse than before. :(

Very possible that excess phosphate isn't what's responsible but RP said the following about diets low in phosphate, maybe there would be low phosphate in the blood but an increased uptake of phosphate into cells:
"An extreme reduction of phosphate in the diet wouldn't be appropriate, however, because a phosphate deficiency stimulates cells to increase the phosphate transporter, increasing the cellular uptake of phosphate, with an effect similar to the dietary excess of phosphate, i.e., promotion of lung cancer (Xu, et al., 2010). The optimum dietary amount of phosphate, and its balance with other minerals, hasn't been determined." From Phosphate, activation, and aging.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Very possible that excess phosphate isn't what's responsible but RP said the following about diets low in phosphate, maybe there would be low phosphate in the blood but an increased uptake of phosphate into cells:
"An extreme reduction of phosphate in the diet wouldn't be appropriate, however, because a phosphate deficiency stimulates cells to increase the phosphate transporter, increasing the cellular uptake of phosphate, with an effect similar to the dietary excess of phosphate, i.e., promotion of lung cancer (Xu, et al., 2010). The optimum dietary amount of phosphate, and its balance with other minerals, hasn't been determined." From Phosphate, activation, and aging.
Wow, the article is super-valuable, this explains a lot of my health issues and why increased phosphate in diet made things worse. Thank you very much for the link!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals