Transdermal Magnesium Chloride, Studies

paymanz

if you were curious about effectiveness of magnesium oil ,like me

Effects of transdermal magnesium chloride on quality of life for patients with fibromyalgia: a feasibility study. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome characterized by chronic pain, fatigue, depression, and sleep disturbances. Its primary cause is unclear. Several studies have reported decreased intracellular magnesium levels in patients with fibromyalgia and have found negative correlation between magnesium levels and fibromyalgia symptoms.

OBJECTIVE:
To gather preliminary data on whether transdermal magnesium can improve quality of life for women who have fibromyalgia.

DESIGN, SETTING, PARTICIPANTS AND INTERVENTIONS:
This is a patient questionnaires and survey in a fibromyalgia clinic at a tertiary medical center. Forty female patients with the diagnosis of fibromyalgia were enrolled. Each participant was provided a spray bottle containing a transdermal magnesium chloride solution and asked to apply 4 sprays per limb twice daily for 4 weeks. Participants were asked to complete the Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire, SF-36v2 Health Survey, and a quality-of-life analog scale at baseline, week 2, and week 4.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE:
Questionnaire and survey scores, evaluated through intent-to-treat and per-protocol analyses.

RESULTS:
Twenty-four patients completed the study (mean [SD] age, 57.2 [7.6] years; white, 95%; mean body mass index, 31.3 kg/m2). With intention-to-treat analysis, Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire subscale and total scores were significantly improved at week 2 and week 4 (total score, P=0.001). Per-protocol analysis results were similar: all subscales of the Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire were significantly improved at week 2 and week 4 (total score, P=0.001).

CONCLUSION:
This pilot study suggests that transdermal magnesium chloride applied on upper and lower limbs may be beneficial to patients with fibromyalgia.

New study on Mg trasdermal absorption,

Effect of transdermal magnesium cream on serum and urinary magnesium levels in humans: A pilot study

Another one , a review
Myth or Reality—Transdermal Magnesium?

Last edited:

Birdie

I use it. Glad to see this study. I use only one spray per upper leg. When I run out of my Mg oil supply, I plan to use my Mg oxide mixed with water, in the same spray bottle. But that's a while off, so I don't have the amounts of water to Mg worked out yet. Lots about it online and at Amazon in the comments... Cheaper than buying the ready made. :rolleyes:

Atalanta

I use it. Glad to see this study. I use only one spray per upper leg. When I run out of my Mg oil supply, I plan to use my Mg oxide mixed with water, in the same spray bottle. But that's a while off, so I don't have the amounts of water to Mg worked out yet. Lots about it online and at Amazon in the comments... Cheaper than buying the ready made. :rolleyes:

Would magnesium sulfate work well also in making Mg oil? it is a lot cheaper than MgCl.

Birdie

Would magnesium sulfate work well also in making Mg oil? it is a lot cheaper than MgCl.
Yeah, I was thinking of that after I wrote it. I don't know the answer but am going to look into it when I have a little time.

Birdie

@Atalanta
So, looking it up, I see that some do use the epsom salts but it's more drying to the skin they say. I do find the epsom salt baths drying and do fewer of them. I used to do them every day.

I've been using part of a niacin amide capsule mixed with my MSM lotion on my legs. So, just using a little of the Mg oil. Can't do everything! ;)

Atalanta

@Atalanta
So, looking it up, I see that some do use the epsom salts but it's more drying to the skin they say. I do find the epsom salt baths drying and do fewer of them. I used to do them every day.

I've been using part of a niacin amide capsule mixed with my MSM lotion on my legs. So, just using a little of the Mg oil. Can't do everything! ;)
@Atalanta

@Birdie
That's interesting because some people say MgCl itches and burns the skin.
Do you take baths daily without magnesium? Maybe it was simply too much water that dried your skin.

I do foot soaks with magnesium sulfate so I think I can handle using MgSO4 oil on my lower legs. I'll just use some olive oil if my skin gets too dry. I am also considering making magnesium butter using MgSO4.

Why do you use MSM lotion?

OP
P

paymanz

i recently read about very interesting recipe to make Mg acetate.the acetate form is the least diarrhea forming Mg supplement(there is one study compared it to gluconate and acetate produced less disturbing). and it also has good absorption rate.
tmp_7066-upload_2016-7-3_21-55-13-1476226989.png

and the recipe is easy ,cheap and easy to access ingredients. you need milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide) and vinegar.mix 1 part MOM with 3 part vinegar and it yields Mg acetate.you can find more info about it on internet.

also oral magnesium oxide has good bioavailability contrary to what they say about it. Magnesium Oxide Is (surpringly) Better Than Citrate

Last edited:

Atalanta

i recently read about very interesting recipe to make Mg acetate.the acetate form is the least diarrhea forming Mg supplement(there is one study compared it to gluconate and acetate produced less disturbing). and it also has good absorption rate.

and the recipe is easy ,cheap and easy to access ingredients. you need milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide) and vinegar.mix 1 part MOM with 3 part vinegar and it yields Mg acetate.you can find more info about it on internet.

also oral magnesium oxide has good bioavailability converse to what they say about it. Magnesium Oxide Is (surpringly) Better Than Citrate

@paymanz,
I have taken magnesia with vinegar in juice. I like it and it is so much cheaper than most magnesium supplements.

Most magnesium supplements are absorbed well enough, it's just a matter of which one the person can tolerate. Many people get loose bowels from some forms of magnesium. Right now I use MgSO4 in small amounts(1/4 tsp at a time) and I think it works just fine. Magnesium Chloride, for example, costs 15 times as much as MgSO4 but it is not 15 times better absorbed.

Simonsays

I never suffered fibromyalgia with my hypothyroidism, but isnt it just another name for hypothyroidism ( i read this on another hypothyroid site) and magnesium is low in hypothyroidics (is that a word?). It seems much more common in women than men.

Ive been recently using magnesium oil spray as well, morning and last thing at night (it does itch and has given me some spots), but i have tentatively seen improvements (too many false dawns) . My developing insomnia has improved a lot and im not chronically fatigued in the morning regardless of sleep length and wake a lot earlier. Ive also stopped using my Cpap machine as well. I can only conclude that my sleep quality has improved due to the magnesium. Please God let it continue. Thanks to those who recommended to try magnesium .

I presume there is a down side to too much???? magnesium supplementation like everything else!

OP
P

paymanz

as i read more and experience with Mg acetate ,i become more and more interested.

the acetate itself is very interesting,it converts to co2 in body and then to bicarbonate.
Sodium Acetate as a Replacement for Sodium Bicarbonate in Medical Toxicology: a Review

Sodium Acetate Induces a Metabolic Alkalosis but Not the Increase in Fatty Acid Oxidation Observed Following Bicarbonate Ingestion in Humans

i dont know how energy cost effective is this process ,but till now from experience ,it just feels good.

and few days i use this Mg supplement,seems very good absorbed and no digestive problems at all,at +600mg elemental Mg a day.

thanks to @ghg for info about this topic,very interesting.

Last edited:
OP
P

paymanz

I presume there is a down side to too much???? magnesium supplementation like everything else!
sure excess Mg can cause serious health risk,no doubt about this.
everything is like that.

squanch

I love topical magnesium chloride, I normally use a lot more than they did in the study though. Sweating really improves the topical absorption, slathering the whole body with magnesium chloride and then sitting in the sun has an almost drug like effect on me. The only thing preventing me from doing it more often is the annoying itch.

I've thought about combining it with dmso to further improve topical absorption, has anyone tried that yet? Not sure if it is wise to apply dmso on large parts of the body.

If anybody has trouble with oral magnesium and diarrhea, vitamin b6 (p5p) will improve that dramatically.

Birdie

About the dmso on large areas of the body, I tried 50% dmso on my legs and after maybe 5days broke out in a rash. Then, reading online, I found it was not uncommon for people with sensitive skin. I had to quit spreading it on my legs, but have no problem with spot application.

Birdie

@Atalanta
I did the epsom salts, baking soda and aspirin baths almost daily for about 6 months. I'm sure you're right that the water had something to do with it. I didn't pursue it to find out.

The Mg oil works well, although the sting is stinging!
And I am also stinging from a certain vitamin C treatment for various basal cell carcinomas.
But. that's another subject.

ddufur

I use mag-a-hol. I make it. Look online for recipe. Definitely feel a difference if I forget to use it for a couple of days.

OP
P

paymanz

@Bahaa El wazzan there is a recipe for Mg acetate I mentioned a few post above,its really nice stuff,I think its even better than oxide.

Last edited:

tara

Sodium Acetate Induces a Metabolic Alkalosis
I imagine this would be one way to get into trouble with excess.
Alkalinising might be useful if you are running too acid, but if you push the system too far to the alkaline (eg too much alkaline minerals vs acidic minerals), that too can probably cause trouble.
People here have overdone it with baking soda and calcium supplements (milk-alkali syndrome, potentially dangerous) - not heard of it with Mg, but seems hypothetically possible to my (relatively ignorant) mind.

Mito

- not heard of it with Mg, but seems hypothetically possible to my (relatively ignorant) mind.

Hypermagnesemia is a rare condition in which a person has too much magnesium in their blood plasma. Hypermagnesemia usually happens in patients with poor kidney function and patients that receive an overdose of IV magnesium. Rarely, supplemental magnesium causes hypermagnesemia; this is because the kidneys are very good at excreting excess magnesium.
Magnesium: Most Overlooked Mineral for Improving Health - Part 5
Hypermagnesemia: Overview, Renal Failure, Other Causes

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals