Transcripts Suggestion

Amazoniac

Here's a suggestion for the mods, past and future volunteers of any transcription.
We should stop labeling them with our usernames, and remove them all.

1stly because we're missing the whole point of this forum, which is to worship pboy, but also exchange knowledge and experiences without stamping them and turning them into commodities or some sort of property.
2nd because it's weird for anyone to have an interesting file archived with a random nickname on it. Wtf is an amazoniac? I wouldn't want that in my file..
3rd because it's creepy to try to squeeze/sneak in for a little bit of attention. As if we're getting credits for it..
4rd, all in all no one cares either way, so why bother to pollute and pile a clear text with futile information?

I'm proposing this in a polite way, otherwise I'm going to resort to professional blackmailing: by considering changing my username to pboytheforbiddenpleasure and ask the mods to put that on those transcripts.. Haha!

burtlancast

Well,
I believe leaving the username of the transcriber and the verificator serves multiple purposes:

1. Increased confidence in the written transcription.
All volunteers have their small differences in the way they transcribe: these differences were somehow minimised in the batch projects by having 10 people or more participating to the same file. But in the personal transcripts, these differences can become more apparent, and i believe too that it serves it's purpose to know, for example, if the original transcriber or the verificator were native english speakers or not.

Mark Twain used to write "Beware of health books; you may die from a misprint" and i think even though our work is practically flawless, it enhances confidence to know which volunteer did the work.

2. Many transcripts (20% ?) have been found on the net. For example, the Gary Null excellent thyroid interview was on the net for years. This is a little different than our batch and personal transcriptions, where we all made a conscious effort for a verbatim transcript. Another example would be the Genevieve Deveraux 4 or 5 transcripts that were posted but never checked, or the One Radio Network 2 hours show transcribed but never checked.
Leaving the name of the transcriber informs whether this was a near verbatim transcript, or if it needs further work to achive this (preferable) status.

3. Credits.

I mean it !!
It's no small feat to transcribe these shows. We are offering our work for the world, just like Ray did, and we don't ask anything back.
But we sure as hell feel pride in having our usernames attached to the transcript.
At least i do.

4. Counter the growing popularity of pboy .
Pboy is on his way to achieve total control of the Internets and will soon implement monopolistic strategies :cry: to deny independent researchers like Ray and others their audience.
We must apply eternal vigilance and deny him these unchecked powers. :ninja

:hattip

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

burtlancast said:
post 102946 Well,
I believe leaving the username of the transcriber and the verificator serves multiple purposes:

1. Increased confidence in the written transcription.
All volunteers have their small differences in the way they transcribe: these differences were somehow minimised in the batch projects by having 10 people or more participating to the same file. But in the personal transcripts, these differences can become more apparent, and i believe too that it serves it's purpose to know, for example, if the original transcriber or the verificator were native english speakers or not.

Mark Twain used to write "Beware of health books; you may die from a misprint" and i think even though our work is practically flawless, it enhances confidence to know which volunteer did the work.

2. Many transcripts (20% ?) have been found on the net. For example, the Gary Null excellent thyroid interview was on the net for years. This is a little different than our batch and personal transcriptions, where we all made a conscious effort for a verbatim transcript. Another example would be the Genevieve Deveraux 4 or 5 transcripts that were posted but never checked, or the One Radio Network 2 hours show transcribed but never checked.
Leaving the name of the transcriber informs whether this was a near verbatim transcript, or if it needs further work to achive this (preferable) status.

3. Credits.

I mean it !!
It's no small feat to transcribe these shows. We are offering our work for the world, just like Ray did, and we don't ask anything back.
But we sure as hell feel pride in having our usernames attached to the transcript.
At least i do.

4. Counter the growing popularity of pboy .
Pboy is on his way to achieve total control of the Internets and will soon implement monopolistic strategies :cry: to deny independent researchers like Ray and others their audience.
We must apply eternal vigilance and deny him these unchecked powers. :ninja

:hattip
Those are valid points, burtlan.
Maybe it's just me, but I think they are unnecessary and useless..

1 and 2: Maybe we can only put Ray Peat Forum, something more generic is preferable and the reliance will still be there.

3. Think about watching a clip online that has CONVERTED BY X SOFTWARE on it, it's the same discomfort that I feel by having usernames on it. But I respect your opinion..

4. Don't waste your time trying to contain love, wisdom and beauty, just accept him in your life..

Last edited by a moderator:

burtlancast

Amazoniac said:
3. Think about watching a clip online that has CONVERTED BY X SOFTWARE on it, it's the same discomfort that I feel by having usernames on it.

Don't you feel these usernames have an added purpose of trust, that carries over to the forum posts ?

It shows the member appreciates enough Ray's work that he took from his own spare time to publiscize it.

If i subsequently come across him in the forum, i will certainly give him added consideration compared to others that didn't make this effort. :2cents

For example, if you post that you obtained spectacular results over osteoporosis by taking Thorne Vit K2, i will know there's very little chance that the post is commercially driven, as this can sometimes happen on forums.

moss

Dear Amazoniac

With respect, it may look strange having usernames on the interview transcripts and I believe there is some accountability by having them there and some of the points BLC raises are valid, in my view, and it is certainly not with any intention to ‘turning them into commodities or some sort of property’. There is nothing to stop anyone removing the usernames when the interview transcripts are downloaded and I am sure many forum members have done so.

I have enjoyed doing a few of these transcripts and have gained so much more understanding (listening to the audios over and over and over). It is slow and laborious work and for some strange reason I like doing them.

It is also a way of giving back to the forum in some small way, because I have learned and gained so much information from so many of you over the years and I am extremely grateful for that.

I believe being grateful and thanking people is what cements relationships together. Taking credit (where credit is due) makes for a healthy exchange of energy.

Reading this thread reminded me of something Ray wrote. The second half of this book reads like a car wreck and I have no idea how to interpret it….

Mind and Tissue
Ray Peat

On Group Energy

When an individual enters a group with a loving expectancy, the nature of the group is changed, expanded. The world known by each person is extended. (It's analogous to adding a section to the perimeter of a circle: The angle of the curve is opened with each addition.) Any little perception that is given is likely to come back better.
When another person understands your perception, its truth is evaluated. ("Truth can never be told so as to be understood, and not be believed.")

When a person uses my perception, they are thinking with my mind, and this allows me to advance, energizes my advance. Their new and appropriate way of using it expands my perceptions and my possibilities. Does it feel like this to others when I feel myself "thinking with their mind"?
The belief that reality is a closed system goes with the belief that we can advance only by hindering someone else. Just as "entropy increases in a closed system," such an ethic tends to spread shrinking withdrawal and hostility. Doing something from a social motivation seems to detract from its intrinsic goodness, according to this view. Doubt, quantifiable knowledge, knowing as discrimination rather than as synthesis, are functions of a shrinking self, absorbing energy. But the expansive pursuit of knowledge is one of the strongest social bonds, because we perceive others as vital parts of our selves.
Metabolic energy can illuminate patterns in the world, generalities. These new perceptions will liberate metabolic energy when taken up by another person, so that communication is energizing.
When you let yourself get highly energized, your sense of energy expenditure increases, your sense of the importance of certain things increases. This is what draws a real group outside of itself. Every perception is seen to have relevance to the world. Everything comes to be done with involvement and wholeness. To the person who passively belongs to the culture, it looks as if everything has become difficult for the involved ones, and this seems inefficient. But to the productive group, it looks as if everything has become possible.

And I also enjoy many of your posts too.
m.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

My whole point behind it all is that it boils down to giving unconditionally to the forum, and for that you don't demand credit or expect recognition. And then there's the fact that we are more selfish than that, we're doing them to add something meaningful to ourselves; that should be enough.
So, my point was made and if our dear members don't emphatize with it, well, the subject already received more attention than it deserved. Haha!

Giraffe

burtlancast said:
post 102946 But in the personal transcripts, these differences can become more apparent, and i believe too that it serves it's purpose to know, for example, if the original transcriber or the verificator were native english speakers or not.
Talking about non-native speakers of English... I have not dared yet to send you the transcript I have prepared for verification. It is so full of question marks. I don't want my name under all these questions marks! :lol:

I have put it aside in order to listen to it with fresh ears later. I'am going to send you the transcript soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Two more suggestions:
- Ray's articles to audio. Would require an eloquent landlord, preferably a native english speaker. On the bright side, it would be much quicker than a transcript.
- In front of each question of the transcripts, specify the time. Since the topics are usually diverse, that would be helpful.

tara

I'm late to this thread. I very much value and appreciate the significant work people have put in to transcribe these interviews. I agree with Burtlancast and Moss's reasons and that it is good to have the usernames associated with the work.

burtlancast

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I'm late to this thread. I very much value and appreciate the significant work people have put in to transcribe these interviews. I agree with Burtlancast and Moss's reasons and that it is good to have the usernames associated with the work.
Landlordess, me too. They all know how much I appreciate their effort. But it doesn't mean that you need the names there in every transcription to exhibit who was involved. But I seem to be a lone voice with that opinion..
Suggestion #2 is relatively easy.
Regarding #1, there are text-to-speech apps just like there are speech-to-text, but it's a bit annoying to follow a bot, and they are not flawless and natural.. yet.

RealNeat

They should at least have the source of the original transcript IMO like RPF.com

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

It has been a while since I posted it, but still believe that crediting (and the mentality) here is noise, especially now that a great deal of the transcription may have been automated. I should write an article..

The transparency in life: perceptibility as an indicator of dysfunction​

Gratification could be derived from making adjustments in text that facilitate comprehension yet pass unnoticed, smoothness is a positive sign that things are working. The disappearance of labor required to produce something is the ultimate sophistication, it seems to have been designed by nature and existed all along, so it feels natural.

Here's an example where cornrnas was thoughtful in adding 'benign' to avoid being alarmist and scaring a member:
- My Body Doesn't Metabolise Calcium Properly And Nothing Seems To Help

Renouncing involvement and being discreet ties in with this mindset, we should aim to be wandering ghosts.

Having to express this isn't a good way to make my point, but I'll start on monday.

RealNeat

It has been a while since I posted it, but still believe that crediting (and the mentality) here is noise, especially now that a great deal of the transcription may have been automated. I should write an article..

The transparency in life: perceptibility as an indicator of dysfunction​

Gratification could be derived from making adjustments in text that facilitate comprehension yet pass unnoticed, smoothness is a positive sign that things are working. The disappearance of labor required to produce something is the ultimate sophistication, it seems to have been designed by nature and existed all along, so it feels natural.

Here's an example where cornrnas was thoughtful in adding 'benign' to avoid being alarmist and scaring a member:
- My Body Doesn't Metabolise Calcium Properly And Nothing Seems To Help

Renouncing involvement and being discreet ties in with this mindset, we should aim to be wandering ghosts.

Having to express this isn't a good way to make my point, but I'll start on monday.

But you are looking at this only as a form of self gratification or credit. I more so look at it as, if people at least know where these are being produced they can pursue the origin (the forum) and get more information from there too.

Also credit is important for the sake of accuracy, for example if I found that the "Ray Pearl Forum" was doing this I would find it a little odd and question the accuracy or intent.

They could also be used as a form of income, many places need transcription services from humans even if it is partially automated, like "Upwork". The people's reliably accurate transcriptions can serve as an example of their work (to be hired.) I have no problem supporting an individual who does honest work and gets compensated as a result.

I think what you are presenting is one world view and not everyone should have to conform to that.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

But you are looking at this only as a form of self gratification or credit. I more so look at it as, if people at least know where these are being produced they can pursue the origin (the forum) and get more information from there too.

Also credit is important for the sake of accuracy, for example if I found that the "Ray Pearl Forum" was doing this I would find it a little odd and question the accuracy or intent.

They could also be used as a form of income, many places need transcription services from humans even if it is partially automated, like "Upwork". The people's reliably accurate transcriptions can serve as an example of their work (to be hired.) I have no problem supporting an individual who does honest work and gets compensated as a result.

I think what you are presenting is one world view and not everyone should have to conform to that.
Yes, because that's what it is in essence, it's an attempt to imprint a mark.

No need to know the transcriber or the origin to assess the quality of the material. Nothing prevents a website where these files is going to be held to recommend others (example). Connections can be created this way too, without using transcriptions as portfolios.

The points reinforce that it's cluttering with superfluous information and I prefer having all unnecessary parts removed, ending up with clean and impersonal documents. Of course this is just my perspective and it's not arrogant because the incorrect views are respected. This topic didn't deserve a thread, it was a toxic decision, better report it.

Last edited:

burtlancast

No need to know the transcriber or the origin to assess the quality of the material.

Only true only if all transcribers abide to the same standards; i've already given the example of old transcripts where the person took liberties and significantly altered the interview, and then our team had to recheck the whole work for better accuracy.

Ray is not someone you want to skip words/sentences from.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom