Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

freyasam

I am considering doing transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to treat lifelong depression. Most studies show 50 to 60% remission. Also, deep TMS (dTMS) has been shown to reduce obesity and positively alter the gut microbiome. The studies I've seen show no serious side effects.

I asked Peat about it, and he said he didn't think it was safe for the brain.

Digging further, I see some negative testimonials online buried among all the rave reviews and promotion. Some people are claiming it increased anxiety, memory loss, etc for them. It's very disappointing, because I thought this might help both my depression and metabolic/gut problems.

Does anyone have any experience or insight about TMS?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is the first I've heard of it honestly. I hope you get some replies. It seems like @Daniel11 posted something similar to this a couple months ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Dr. Robert Dennis did the original research at NASA using electromagnetic fields to enhance growth and health of living organisms.

Micro-Pulse LLC

The CES is an affiliate page that takes people to the Sota Biotuner device, its similar in that its pulsed electromagnetic energy but i can't see the details on the waveform they are using.

I have tried many devices over the years, i really like the ICES MicroPulse, and Dr. Dennis the former NASA scientist that developed it keeps improving the technology. I had a good conversation with him a while ago, he feels it is the shape of the wave that is being produced is the key not the pulsing, the ICES MicoPulse uses a trapezoidal wave form most others on the market use a square wave, I am having excellent results with it, so are others.

ICES: Tool Combats Fatigue & Inflammation (Upgraded PEMF) - Selfhacked
Here are the posts. It seems like something one could do at home but I'm not sure how similar (if at all) it is to what your considering. If you read more in that thread you will see I broke out my old alpha-stim which is electrical not magnetic and probably not as great as Daniel's device but if you want I can mail it to you to try for free. It's supposed to help anxiety and depression but I'm no longer using it since my issue was grief related due to a death in the family.

Owen B

I am considering doing transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to treat lifelong depression. Most studies show 50 to 60% remission. Also, deep TMS (dTMS) has been shown to reduce obesity and positively alter the gut microbiome. The studies I've seen show no serious side effects.

I asked Peat about it, and he said he didn't think it was safe for the brain.

Digging further, I see some negative testimonials online buried among all the rave reviews and promotion. Some people are claiming it increased anxiety, memory loss, etc for them. It's very disappointing, because I thought this might help both my depression and metabolic/gut problems.

Does anyone have any experience or insight about TMS?
I've shopped it and I've talked to people who provide it incl. MDs.

It's ridiculously expensive. I had an MD tell me with a straight face that she had patients taking 2nd mortgages out on their home to pay for it. (That's how desperate people are for good treatments and a measure of how few good treatments there are out there.)

The magnetic cartridge has to be replaced after every use. There's the expense.

Depending on your insurance, they might not cover it until you've had a series of unsuccessful treatments with regular meds.

If you're interested in brain stimulation, there's neurofeedback and A/V stimulation. You'd probably get more success from those.

OP
F

freyasam

I have great insurance and it will likely be approved at no cost to me.

Last edited:
OP
F

freyasam

Here are the posts. It seems like something one could do at home but I'm not sure how similar (if at all) it is to what your considering. If you read more in that thread you will see I broke out my old alpha-stim which is electrical not magnetic and probably not as great as Daniel's device but if you want I can mail it to you to try for free. It's supposed to help anxiety and depression but I'm no longer using it since my issue was grief related due to a death in the family.

Thanks so much Blossom. I've have a look at that thread.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Thanks so much Blossom. I've have a look at that thread.

The Micro-Pulse device is excellent, you can place the coils the head with a headband for couple hours in the evenings, it is very effective and besides long term befits of reduction of cereal inflammation, it really improves cognitive functioning and sensory processing and has a very relaxing effect on the emotions.

Best place to place the coils is above the ears slightly forward, you can also place the coils over the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex, this is the area that research has shown beneficial for PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy) and depression.

Dorsolateral prefrontal cortex - Wikipedia

There is also Ketamine treatment, there is medical Ketamine treatment centers all over the USA, Time magazine just had article about its benefits. But the Micro-pulse would cost less and can be used every day after few months you probably wont need to use that often.

TheCanvas

I think neurofeedback would be a much safer option. brain-trainer.com is a great resource.

TripleOG

How long have you been using the ICES device? @Daniel11 What are the most significant effects you noticed?

Almost took the plunge lil over a year ago but decided to hold off while he continues fine tuning his product.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
How long have you been using the ICES device? @Daniel11 What are the most significant effects you noticed?

Almost took the plunge lil over a year ago but decided to hold off while he continues fine tuning his product.

I have had the ICES Micro-Pulse for about 6 months, have tried many different devices over the years, this one is really excellent, when i use on my head i noticed more energy, emotional balance and improved cognitive functioning, i used every day for couple hours for first few months, now just couple times a week. I also have had chronic lower back pain for 35 years, and that is almost gone now, i also put on my thyroid, i still love Red Light therapy especially through the eyes, together they are very complementary.

Im sure you know this is very different then a TENS unit that puts electrical current in your body, the Micro-Pulse is Elecro-Magnetic there is no current going on to the skin, it works far better then TENS units, i have found TENS units help little with pain temporarley sometimes but they do not heal inflammation, the Micro-Pulse is actually regenerative to nerves, glands, tissue and improves cellular functioning.

https://downloads.corticalmetrics.com/pub/corticalmetrics_magazine_issue_1.pdf

TripleOG

Thanks for the input. @Daniel11 How often had you had to replace the coils?

I spent the last week catching up on his latest blog/podcast entries from this year. Really remarkable stuff. Just placed an order for the M1. Aiming to reduce gut inflammation and brain fog/depressive symptoms when they creep in.

Before selfhacked removed it's comment section, a woman reported her progress using the M1 the same way a Modius is used for weight loss. She used one of the TMS settings. She reported dropping 2 pant sizes in a short period (I think it was about a month, give or take a few weeks) without changing anything. The ICES device is proven to reduce inflammation where it's placed. Knowing what we know from reading this forum, I wonder if certain head placements of the ICES device hinders cortisol signalling on a systemic level. Imagine the implications that would stir up. If only she got blood tests. :):

@freyasam look into ICES. Watch some interviews with Robert Dennis. He explains why he thinks lot of these other PEMF systems have shortcomings.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the input. @Daniel11 How often had you had to replace the coils?

I spent the last week catching up on his latest blog/podcast entries from this year. Really remarkable stuff. Just placed an order for the M1. Aiming to reduce gut inflammation and brain fog/depressive symptoms when they creep in.

Before selfhacked removed it's comment section, a woman reported her progress using the M1 the same way a Modius is used for weight loss. She used one of the TMS settings. She reported dropping 2 pant sizes in a short period (I think it was about a month, give or take a few weeks) without changing anything. The ICES device is proven to reduce inflammation where it's placed. Knowing what we know from reading this forum, I wonder if certain head placements of the ICES device hinders cortisol signalling on a systemic level. Imagine the implications that would stir up. If only she got blood tests. :):

@freyasam look into ICES. Watch some interviews with Robert Dennis. He explains why he thinks lot of these other PEMF systems have shortcomings.

So far the coils are fine, have not needed to replace yet. I agree with you about the cortisol effect, thats the first benefit i got was feeling much better after using the Micro-Pulse, i focused on the brain, i really feel many peoples chronic health issues are related to brain inflammation caused by many reasons through out our lives, even minor head injuries we get when we are young can effect us, chemical exposure and poor nutrition contribute. Light therapy is great for many things put will not reach the areas in the brain that electromagnetic energy will. I put the coils on each side of the head just above and towards front of ears (i use a elastic headband to hold coils), this is best positions to cover whole brain, then after couple hours in that position i sometimes place the coils on other locations i feel like, frontal lobes or over forehead…

The first few days i had a little headache after using, Dennis reports that this is normal for most people, by the end of the first week of use i started really enjoying its effects, when using the micro-pulse i feel more like doing yoga or workout also great to get stuff done on the computer when i would normally be tired and un-focused, wearing while listening to a audio book is also great fun, there is evidence that doing things that stimulate your brain while using PEMF enhances its effects. Its great for emotional release also, its seems like painful memories and experiences or the stressful interactions of the day just melt away naturally after a couple hours of using the Micro-Pulse, this feels like a very positive cortisol and endocrine response via its beneficial effect on brain functioning and nueroplasticity.

Nebula

Just placed an order for the M1.
Did you ever use this ICES device? What was your experience with it? It sounded like a very interesting technology to target various glands and tissues, but haven’t heard many reviews of long term users.

TripleOG

Did you ever use this ICES device? What was your experience with it? It sounded like a very interesting technology to target various glands and tissues, but haven’t heard many reviews of long term users.
It removes pain quite reliably, from what I and people I let use it have noticed.

Best device I have for handling active headaches. Reduces joint pain well, whether it be from arthritis or general overuse. Has reduced strong menstrual pain when placed over groin area. And of course all sorts of back pain.

Head placements brought benefits that's hard to describe. Some mental clarity, some improved verbal fluidity, less lapse in memory (like when you can't remember a word to best describe something). Things like that. Benefits for me weren't noticed until atleast a day after use. Kinda of like exercise.

Tried it on thyroid, didn't notice much. Tried on gut (on of my main problems), didn't notice much. Tried it on liver, didn't notice much.

Went 1yr+ without using it because I lent it out and forgot about it. Your post reminded me. :) There was no forum back then where users can discuss their experiments. Just seen their discussion on structuring water. Very interesting and easy to try. Wonder how it compares to H2 water.

Quelsatron

Red light seems to be similar but safer and cheaper. It even seems to work with parkinsons, which i think is caused by an area deep in the brain. There are articles about a pensioner with parkinsons making red light buckets for his local community.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals