Toxic sleep schedule for long time effects/experiences

Dobbler

I think one thing that is really effecting me negatively right now is my horrible sleeping schedule. I don't even remember the last time i went to bed before 2 am, and for past months it has been 2-6 am everyday, sleeping for 5 to 7 hours after that. I usually have no problems falling or staying asleep, and i can sleep till 2 pm if i want to, but i feel terrible and doing these all nighters for weeks on end has worn me out to a bad place mentally and physically. What are you guys thoughts and experiences on this matter? I really should try to fix this to see if it helps...

GreenTrails

I think one thing that is really effecting me negatively right now is my horrible sleeping schedule. I don't even remember the last time i went to bed before 2 am, and for past months it has been 2-6 am everyday, sleeping for 5 to 7 hours after that. I usually have no problems falling or staying asleep, and i can sleep till 2 pm if i want to, but i feel terrible and doing these all nighters for weeks on end has worn me out to a bad place mentally and physically. What are you guys thoughts and experiences on this matter? I really should try to fix this to see if it helps...
What is stopping you from going to bed on an earlier and more regular schedule?

I recently purchased from PureBulk some Melatonin with nothing added. I've tried melatonin before, up to 10 mg., and it never made a difference. But this PureBulk Melatonin is working very well. All you need is 3 mg.

Good luck on your sleeping schedule. I hope you can get that resolved.

LucyL

Regular sleep has been a huge benefit to me. It has really helped my brain to calm down, and get my parasympathetic/sympathetic systems in better balance.
If you are going to work on it, you have to fully commit - you need the same amount of sleep at the same time every day. One late night can take a week to fully recover from. If you feel you are in a bad place mentally, sleep is the first, and most harmless thing to try. Give it a couple months. What I found was I don't dwell on negativity when I have adequate sleep, and my brain doesn't conjure up high adrenaline scenarios. It's really nice.

I take benedryl, glycine, magnesium and progesterone before bed, and milk with sugar. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I get some salted OJ and it usually works to get back to sleep. Great thing with the OJ is even if I don't get back to sleep immediately, I am very relaxed lying in bed, not thinking about stressful stuff.

Explorer

What is stopping you from going to bed on an earlier and more regular schedule?

I recently purchased from PureBulk some Melatonin with nothing added. I've tried melatonin before, up to 10 mg., and it never made a difference. But this PureBulk Melatonin is working very well. All you need is 3 mg.

Good luck on your sleeping schedule. I hope you can get that resolved.
Isn't Melatonin considered to increase Serotonin or be bad from a Peatarian perspective? It works wonder for inducing strong sleepiness but often it gives me this lethargic worn out depressed feeling the next day

Nemo

I saw a study a few years back that found setting and sticking to a wake-up time was the critical factor, not a bedtime, and that worked for me. Set a wake-up time and stick to it. Best if it's close to sunrise and you can have the sun coming through a window where you're sleeping.

You'll eventually start feeling sleepy 5-7 hours before that. Help sleep along at bedtime, as Lucy says, with salt and sugar at bedtime, with some fat. Can be salty cheese with fruit or OJ, or salted and sugared warm whole milk (with added gelatin is particularly good), or ice cream with some salt. Progesterone is very helpful at bedtime for making you sleepy, so is thyroid if you take thyroid.

If something stressful happens near bedtime and I end up lying there awake, I get up, take my dog for a walk in the dark, then come back and do the sugar/salt snack all over again with another drop of progesterone. The second time is virtually non-fail.

I refuse to discuss a variety of subjects in the last couple of hours before bedtime to avoid getting my mind racing. I don't answer the phone or go on the computer near bedtime.

If you end up with less than five hours sleep in the early days, enforce your wake-up time nevertheless. That night you will usually fall asleep easily and sleep well.

equipoise

Yeah sleep is vital and the most important thing there is. We regenerate, learn, recover, grow, relax, all while having quality sleep. We all know that monkey on the back feeling when we've been running on the old adrenaline, amped up. Then you crash but you keep goin, and the vicious cycle repeats itself every night. Insomnia. Regrets.

If I think I'm going crazy, then I must not be insane?

Sleep hygiene how they call it, very important stuff. Hiking helps a lot, spending time in nature definitely helps.

JamesKing

Such a schedule of life can really have a detrimental effect on your health and mental activity, as the brain begins to adjust to such a regime.

JamesKing

Such a schedule of life can really have a detrimental effect on your health and mental activity, as the brain begins to adjust to such a regime. In addition, when he finally forms a habit, it will be even more difficult to overcome himself. That's why you should address this issue now, before it's too late. For me, an excellent solution was to purchase special smart bulbs, which were built in the bedroom with a special light that provokes the desire to sleep. I acquired them with the help of Best RGB Smart Light Bulbs | Works With Alexa | WIFI Smart Bulbs

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals