Toxic Liver - What's Best Remedies? Milk Thistle?

Dave Clark

@Dave Clark @zewe have either of you guys experimented with Kutki?
I had used it as part of a formula that Life Extension had years ago, then they took it out, probably because kutki is getting hard to wild harvest and is maybe getting more expensive. It had the trademarked PicroLiv kutki in the formula (I think it was an acid reflux formula that it was in). Anyway, I found the powder on line, and my thoughts were to use it once in a while just to keep the liver toned up and detoxed. I is supposed to be a better liver herb than milk thistle. With all the modern day toxins that we are all exposed to, I think something like this in the regimen can only be helpful to the liver, whether one has liver problems or not. It might be a good herb to rotate with milk thistle or other liver cleansing herbs. I plan on starting this next year (you know, in a few weeks, lol).

Inaut

Thanks @Dave Clark . I looked at purchasing it but it is quite expensive. I think I’ll settle for my trusted gentian root for now. Kutki does sound like the best liver herb on papier though

Grapelander

How did your liver get compromised?

Dr. Peat often notes the liver protective effects of saturated fat (butter) for alcoholics.

Look for ways to reduce estrogen load.

NAC:

Mechanism of Action of N-Acetylcysteine in the Protection Against the Hepatotoxicity of Acetaminophen in Rats In Vivo
N-Acetylcysteine is the “drug of choice” for liver damaged by acetaminophen.

N-Acetylcysteine Improves Liver Function in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Milk Thistle:

Hepatoprotective effect of silymarin
Silymarin is an antioxidant that protects the liver from the free radical damage produced by alcohol metabolism. Silymarin is the most used natural compound for the treatment of hepatic diseases worldwide due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fibrotic activities. Silymarin functions by stabilizing biological membranes and increasing protein synthesis.

Milk Thistle Extract Combats Mushroom Poisoning

Amanita phalloides Mushroom Poisonings — Northern California, December 2016
Amatoxins: The amanitins are heat stable and are not inactivated by cooking. Once ingested, amatoxin is readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract into the portal circulation where it is taken up by hepatocytes, binding to DNA-dependent RNA polymerase (II) and halting intracellular protein synthesis, ultimately resulting in cell death.

Mycological Society - about milk thistle.

Hepatoprotective role of Legalon 70 against hydrogen peroxide in chickens.

Amelioration of toxicopathological effects of cadmium with silymarin and milk thistle in male Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica).

Best of Luck.

Markus

Coffee enemas are one the best tools for liver health in my opinion. However, it is important not to overdo it since it can aggravate a sensitive colon.

Dave Clark

Thanks @Dave Clark . I looked at purchasing it but it is quite expensive. I think I’ll settle for my trusted gentian root for now. Kutki does sound like the best liver herb on papier though
I use gentian in my digestive bitter blend that I make, good stuff for that. I recently learned about an herb I have not previously known about, for digestion, etc., it is called centaury. Do you know about this herb, and if so, have you ever used it? I want to try some for bitters, etc. I am told that this is one of the herbs found in the liquor vermouth. You can find it at Penn Herbs or Mountain Rose Herbs.

Inaut

Only because I’m in the gentian kick....

Gentiolactone, a Secoiridoid Dilactone from Gentiana triflora, Inhibits TNF-α, iNOS and Cox-2 mRNA Expression and Blocks NF-κB Promoter Activity in Murine Macrophages

Hidetoshi Yamada, Sayaka Kikuchi, [...], and Ken-ichi Kimura

Additional article information

Associated Data
Supplementary Materials
Data Availability Statement

Abstract
Background
Gentian roots have been used as a herbal medicine because of their anti-inflammatory activities. However, the molecular mechanisms of these anti-inflammatory effects remain to be completely explained.

Methods and Findings
Here, we investigated anti-inflammatory effects of gentian roots and showed that root extracts from Gentiana triflora inhibited lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced expression of TNF-α in RAW264.7 cells. The extracts also contained swertiamarin and gentiopicroside, which are the major active compounds of gentian roots; however, neither compound had any effect on LPS-induced TNF-α production in our test system. We isolated gentiolactone as an inhibitor of TNF-α production from the extracts. Gentiolactone also inhibited LPS-induced inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2) expression at the mRNA level. Moreover, gentiolactone suppressed NF-κB transcriptional activity without inhibition of IκB degradation or NF-κB nuclear transport.

Conclusions
Our results indicate that inhibition of TNF-α, iNOS and Cox-2 expression by gentiolactone is one of the mechanisms of the anti-inflammatory properties of gentian roots.

Gentiolactone, a Secoiridoid Dilactone from Gentiana triflora, Inhibits TNF-α, iNOS and Cox-2 mRNA Expression and Blocks NF-κB Promoter Activity in Murine Macrophages

Inaut

GENTIAN
Common Names

Gentian , wild gentian, yellow gentian
Botanical Name
Gentiana lutea
Family
GENTIANACEAE ~ Gentian family
Gentian6.jpg

Powered by Translate

Our Pages
orange_leaf.gif

ABOUT
https://www.rjwhelan.co.nz/about_herbal_medicine.html
- Herbal Medicine
- The Clinic
- Richard Whelan

HERBShttps://www.rjwhelan.co.nz/herbs_A-Z.html
- Alphabetically

CONDITIONS TREATED
- By Group
- Alphabetical

CLINIC INFORMATIONhttps://www.rjwhelan.co.nz/contact_us.html
- Clinic Hours
- Clinic Location

CONSTITUTIONAL MEDICINE https://www.rjwhelan.co.nz/contact_us.html
- Ancient wisdom in the modern world

https://www.rjwhelan.co.nz/conditions/dysbiosis.html

TOP | HERBS A-Z LIST

here

orange_leaf.gif
Safety of Gentian

Gentian may not be well tolerated by pregnant women (somewhat understandably!) but there is no reason to think it would do any harm to the woman or her baby. It is certainly safe in breast-feeding and may even help the production of healthy milk. If needed, small children and the elderly should use Gentian with confidence because, even if it is hard for them to take, it may do them great good.

The main point about safety with Gentian to know is that more is not better with this herb! Taking too much will quickly cause an adverse reaction, typically something like nausea, or a headache, or an upset bowel. We do not ever see this in practice in dosages such as those described below but it is nevertheless a powerful herb that needs to be treated with respect and an understanding that, even at safe and low doses, it may only be wanted and needed by the body for a finite period of time.

orange_leaf.gif
General comment on herbal safety

All medicinal herbs that have the power to do good have the potential to do harm. The old maxim 'the poison is in the dose' precisely describes how too much of anything can be bad for us. The ancient rule to 'firstly, do no harm is, to this day, held as the core directive by all practitioners of traditional herbal medicine. Not only are we careful to do our best to use the right herbs, but equally we take care to not give too much of them or use them overlong.

For some years now, against this proven and safe way of herbalism, there has been a rising tide of excessive caution and scare-mongering in many parts of the world. The same authorities that, not so long ago, decried herbal medicines as ineffectual, have now taken up a different adversarial position; that they are dangerous substances that should only be prescribed by Doctors, who of course have zero training in them.

Lists of '10 popular herbs and why you should avoid them'include things like Garlic and Ginger that might 'thin your blood'. Such cautions are absurd to the point of the ridiculous, but fear is a universal driver that has long been proven to be effective at manipulating people.

Unfortunately, the same unnecessary fear and worry has crept into many natural health websites and popular publications on herbs. Herbs that we have safely used for thousands of years, that have no reports of adverse reactions in the medical literature despite widespread use by millions of people, are suddenly described as contraindicated because of something that should have been seen as completely unimportant, or at the utmost a merely theoretical concern, such as a laboratory study on one of the herb's constituents to use an all too common example.

I wonder sometimes if the writers of such articles feel that the herb will be more deserving of respect if it is thought to be a little bit dangerous, in other words more like a drug than something that has simply come out of the earth and been used by ordinary people for generations beyond count.

There is just so much misinformation about herbal medicine on the internet now. Ludicrous claims and cautions abound in equal measure; it seems like one group are trying to make money out of the public whilst the other are busily trying to scare them off.

I have to believe that the kind of reader who takes the time to read pages on herbs that are as extensive as this one is much less likely to be swayed by marketers or misinformers. I hope that you will keep your wits about you if you get conflicting opinions from people who have never really got to know these herbs, who have never worked with them, or learned how to use them safely and effectively.

I want to remind you that the reason that herbs can never be patented and owned by any individual or corporation is because they are, and always will be, the People's medicine. They belong to all of us and it is my great hope in sharing this work that you will learn how to use them wisely for yourself, and the people you care for. Be safe, but do not be afraid.

Gentian2.jpg

TOP | HERBS A-Z LIST

Gentian & Ginger formula

Gentian root 2 parts e.g. 33mls
Ginger root 1 part e.g. 17 mls

TOP | HERBS A-Z LIST

here

orange_leaf.gif
Tigers

For the hotter, damper 'Tiger' constitution, the need for a robust course of bitters comes up just about more often than anyone else. In many cases, for example, there are clear signs of liver congestion, blood sugar issues or a disturbed metabolism reflecting in excess weight and tiredness.

In such instances, I may well use the Gentian in combination with some potent liver and blood cleansing remedies and have the Tiger person take the remedy two or three times a day for a month along with a clean diet and then review the results, which are usually most gratifying to all involved. An example of a typical simple formula is

Gentian 20mls
Dandelion 20mls
Barberrry 10mls

To make 50mls of fluid extracts or tinctures. Dosage would be typically 20 drops twice a day before food or 12-16 drops three times a day before food. A good 5 minutes or so before eating to allow the action to penetrate deeply. The cleansing diet is written up here

The kind of treatment I might use if a person already had some significant health troubles and we wanted to use as strong an approach as possible might like something like this:

Gentian root 100mls
Dandelion root 100mls
Burdock root 80mls
Barberry root bark 80mls
Juniper berry 80mls
Celandine leaf 40mls
Yellow Dock root 60mls

To make 540mls of fluid extracts or tinctures (which will easily fit into a 500ml amber pharm round) The maximum dose of this would be 10mls twice a day. Most Tigers will more than survive that strength, they can positively thrive on it! Most treatment courses like this one only need a month, there are exceptions to that though, especially if the skin is involved.

The dose can of course be adjusted down for a smaller or more sensitive person. Much of the art of good herbal medicine lies in this vital matter of dosage, here I am only sharing experience by way of examples, I cannot make any recommendations to a person I have not met and it is entirely possible, even likely, that a formula of this strength would provoke what we call a 'healing crisis' where things get worse before they get better. This important subject is discussed in more depth here

orange_leaf.gif
Eagles

The hotter and dryer 'Eagle' can respond especially rapidly to Gentian. Many suffer from allergies, and Gentian can significantly reduce the system's hypersensitivity by channelling energy into digestionrather than reaction. Gentian can also help in a mind/body manner for an Eagle who has become too 'heady' with symptoms such as insomnia or overthinking where it can have a calming, centering effect.

Gentian is a herb that 'pairs' particularly well. This means it gets into combinations where each herb noticeably augments the action of the other. For example, for reactive immune conditions in the Eagle I might use something like Gentian 30mls with either Feverfew 20mls or Limeflowers 20mls and then recommend small frequent doses until things were much improved.

Or for another example, to settle the nerves and centre energy, Gentian could likewise be given with Kava, or Motherwort, or Skullcap, except in these cases I would turn the ratio of the pair the other way, i.e. this time the Gentian at the 20mls and the Kava, Motherwort or Skullcap at the 30mls, again the advice would be to use as frequently as required.

How one might go about working out which herb would be the best to pair with Gentian depends on a host of factors. Working with herbs, spending time with them, one develops a sense of their character, not unlike any other kind of living thing, and so there is often a reliable instinct as to which herb is well to matchmake with which person. Another most helpful method is to simply put one or two drops of the herb on the tongue whilst carefully listening to the pulse at the wrist to feel which is the most clearly agreeable! This ancient and intriguing method is described in more detail here

I did not give specific amounts re dosage nor suggestions as to numbers of times to take each dose per day because with this constitution, often but not always, the best person to work those vital matters out is the Eagle themselves!

So long as they have a clear understanding of what the herbs are expected to do, you can usually rely on the Eagle's sharp vision and love for finding the truth to work out how much they need and how often to get the best result. Equally, you should be able to trust them to work out when they can stop using it.

Eagles are likely to warmly appreciate the quick response of their systems to this herb, especially when it has been well paired, and getting off to a good start in such a way will make it much easier to achieve the required patience to do any deeper work required.

orange_leaf.gif
EBs

I mentioned 'pulse-testing' just above and it has been an often-repeated observation that many from the cooler and dryer EB constitution have a particular affinity to bitter herbs in general and Gentian in particular. Their pulse becomes significantly stronger within seconds of tasting it and, intriguingly, more than any other constitution, they are the most likely to remark that they actually like the taste on first impression!

Gentian, like other bitter tonics, creates a lot of 'juice' in the system; it stimulates earthy, watery, entirely physical processes that bring fire, focus and energy into the core of the body. My sense of this matter is that many EBs, by virtue of their advanced nervous sensitivity, respond so well to its presence directly because of that grounding, centering influence. It brings them from their head to their gut, a place that we must at least sometimes live, if we will have balance, and strength.

I would be open to using Gentian as a simple for an EB. In other words, entirely by itself. In such cases I would probably recommend that they experiment with taking very small doses indeed, just a few drops at a time, to gradually become acquainted with its considerable power, build the dose up with an open mind to see if more is better, the same, or worse, and likewise to freely experiment with taking it once, twice, thrice or even four times a day.

Not to stereotype here, because there are assuredly a great many remarkably resilient EBs, but I do want to share from numerous experiences whereby, by the time I meet some EBs, they have been so ravaged by adverse treatment reactions to drugs, herbs, supplements, physical therapies etc. etc. that here is a very real sense of being with someone that if one were to press a little too hard or ask too much, that you will be the next person in line that they end up limping away from...

In such cases I will most carefully select whatever herb I wish to introduce them to and am likely to take things in a very gradual manner indeed, so they can build confidence in the remedies and start to gain some trust that there are things that can genuinely help and not harm.

That said, it may also be perfectly appropriate to combine the Gentian with some Ginger to help warm the core, or perhaps to combine it with one or more of the great tonic herbs that tend to resonate especially well with EBs, herbs such as Dong Quai, Withania, Wood Betony, Rehmania or Basil.

Many times, I have had the feedback from people of the EB constitution where we have had a very successful response to Gentian and some chronic, stuck feeling or condition has shifted, that the taste and feel of the medicine that they so appreciated at the beginning suddenly becomes distinctly repellent.
They might force themselves to keep taking it if they didn't understand that their body is wisely showing them, in the best way it knows how, that 'that's all thank you, time to stop'.

Later, it might be necessary to renew the acquaintance, but now it is time to take a break, put the medicine aside, perhaps right now there are other steps to take along the way.

orange_leaf.gif
Bears

Cooler and damper Bear constitutions can thrive on a course of Gentian and I have little hesitation to use it if there are any of the typical signs of poor digestive fire coupled with one of the chronic problems that tend to beset Bears. The herb Ginger is equally of great benefit to Bears, and they can nearly always handle a stiff dose of it, so the Gentian and Ginger formula above would be more likely given in equal parts, i.e. half Gentian and half Ginger.

The, always critical, matter of dosage doesn't have fixed rules to it, people will vary and too much is as unhelpful as too little, but just to say that quite robust amounts, e.g. 20 drops or 1ml at a time are unlikely to overdo it and should see a rapid and reliable response to the herbs.

Many Bears have problems with blood sugar control from early on in life, if they don't eat in time they get the 'hangries' or fall into a sullen state where the world turns entirely grey. One of the great paradoxes with Gentian is that you can give it to someone who needs their appetite to come back and then you can give it to another person who just can't get a handle on sugar cravings or widely swinging blood sugar levels and get an equally potent effect! It clearly does something to rewire the brain in relation to food and is one of the few remedies that can legitimately be said to help a person lose excess weight when needed.

Like everyone I suppose, many Bears get far too stuck in their heads; thinking, analysing, processing the world. Many Bears get chronic problems in the deep core parts of their body, their bowel, bladder, womb, low-backs, and it sometimes seems as if the more they resist the symptoms of these problems, through drugs, surgery, or denial, the more the body 'weighs the anchor' so to speak. The condition gets deeper, stronger, more insistent that the mind pay attention to the body - 'look, listen, feel, here I am!'.

In such instances, a herb like Gentian can be a small but essential stepping stone towards making peace between mind and body. Like a bridge It brings the awareness and attention from the mouth to the stomach, raising energy from underneath, sinking tension from overhead. Gentian can be a helpful 'early treatment' strategy for a Bear who needs deeper work but, again like most people, needs to feel that what they are doing is genuine and is likely to help. This is one of the great virtues of Gentian, that it starts working as soon as you take it. A laxative would achieve the same conviction a few hours later but a palpable digestive tonic is a much kinder way to go about it. A person must trust the evidence of their own senses or they would have to be entirely disembodied. By taking the herbs mindfully, letting their action penetrate for a few minutes before food, there is a shift, a better engaging with one of the most core, essential processes to life itself; digestion.

The Bear who has become stuck in their head, looking down on their errant body with dismay, may get a more than considerable shift in their consciousness, and their health, when they experience that just a few drops of this mountain magic are enough to change the way they digest, and appreciate, their food. As always, the proof is in the pudding. One must try and see for oneself.

gentian_mountain.jpg

Please understand that I cannot advise you, including on products or dosage, without seeing you in person in my clinic but for ideas on how you might find a good herbalist in your area read here

This living 'book' is my labour of love so, wherever you are, I wish you peace & good health!

Richard Whelan ~ Medical Herbalist ~ Gentian

Ginger & Gentian. Complimentary herbs :)

Inaut

I’m sorry for hijacking this thread everyone
:(

I’ve always thought that liver/gallbladder/lymph congestion had a high correlation to MPB and fibrosis. I now think it’s a huge part of it and something like gentian root in addition to other peaty supplements are important/necessary. Regrowth may require more than just liver support/herbs depending where you are at but topicals and red light may help to reverse (for those with some hair). Excess iron and estrogen are definitely linked to poor liver function and I keep coming back to DR’s article on Liver being central to hair loss. Maybe the reason why women tend to keep hair is due to menstruation and shedding bad blood(excess iron and other toxins) as well as naturally more progesterone.???

Thinking out loud but my hair loss coincides with liver/gallbladder problems (linked to high stress, poor diet and inevitably high estrogen)

Chris-R

Thinking out loud but my hair loss coincides with liver/gallbladder problems (linked to high stress, poor diet and inevitably high estrogen)

From the sound of it, the cause of your issues may be similar to mine.

My issues began with major prolonged stress, and what I now know was a very poor diet for 10 years(raw vegetables, beans, soy, copious amounts of vegetable oils, corn chips little to no saturated fat). In the beginning of my metabolic troubles (about 2 years ago) I was having low energy and an odd sort of tingling in my gallbladder. This eventually progressed to liver + gallbladder tension and pain, significant hair-loss, ridged fingernails, patches of dry skin, intense brain fog, lethargy, cold hands and feet, cold spells, poor libido, poor mood... Basically hypothyroid symptoms, only my TSH was 1.6. So.... rather than having true hypothyroidism, I believe the intense stress caused elevated reverse T3 levels, combined with an inability to adequately convert T4 into T3 due to the poor diet and ensuing liver/gallbladder issues. However, at this stage I have nearly reversed all of my issues, a big part of which can be attributed to addressing and healing my gallbladder and liver.

If you'd like more info on what worked, let me know. I don't want to write a ton of otherwise boring information unsolicited. Happy to help if I can.

Bart1

From the sound of it, the cause of your issues may be similar to mine.

My issues began with major prolonged stress, and what I now know was a very poor diet for 10 years(raw vegetables, beans, soy, copious amounts of vegetable oils, corn chips little to no saturated fat). In the beginning of my metabolic troubles (about 2 years ago) I was having low energy and an odd sort of tingling in my gallbladder. This eventually progressed to liver + gallbladder tension and pain, significant hair-loss, ridged fingernails, patches of dry skin, intense brain fog, lethargy, cold hands and feet, cold spells, poor libido, poor mood... Basically hypothyroid symptoms, only my TSH was 1.6. So.... rather than having true hypothyroidism, I believe the intense stress caused elevated reverse T3 levels, combined with an inability to adequately convert T4 into T3 due to the poor diet and ensuing liver/gallbladder issues. However, at this stage I have nearly reversed all of my issues, a big part of which can be attributed to addressing and healing my gallbladder and liver.

If you'd like more info on what worked, let me know. I don't want to write a ton of otherwise boring information unsolicited. Happy to help if I can.

Please tell! I'm struggling with liver issues myself. I think because of my hemochromatosis (I do regular blood donations but still high iron most of the time) and very high stress the iron has damaged some things, oxidised with pufa I guess

Chris-R

Please tell! I'm struggling with liver issues myself. I think because of my hemochromatosis (I do regular blood donations but still high iron most of the time) and very high stress the iron has damaged some things, oxidised with pufa I guess

Liver and gallbladder are connected. Typically issues with one causes issues with the other.

Here are some therapeutic protocols that specifically targeted my liver and gallbladder (and effectively so):

#1 is Digestive bitters. This has yielded the most significant results for me. Involves simply tasting a bitter food substance a couple of times a day and especially at the beginning of, or right after, a fatty meal (meat, eggs, butter etc.). This action cleanses the liver. When the bitter receptors of the tongue are activated, this stimulates the vagus nerve which is connected down to the liver, stomach and intestines. This stimulation of the vagus nerve causes the stomach to produce more stomach acid (added benefit, great for improving digestion) and also stimulates the liver to produce bile which also helps to reduce stagnation of bile in the gallbladder. Additionally, stimulation of the vagus nerve stimulates flushing of the liver and slightly stimulates the intestines. Among several other obvious benefits, this liver flushing/cleansing allows the liver to break down excess estrogen which otherwise can cause weight gain and thyroid suppression and fat cell enlargement. If the liver is overburdened, then the excess toxins which it cannot process right away will be converted in to fat for storage until it can be processed at a later time. The best bitter source I have found is andrographis powder. You just put a pinch on your tongue and suck on it for a few seconds before swallowing. Because the bitters help to detox the body, it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using them to help hyperdilute and flush the toxins.

Chinese Medicine links the gallbladder to courage and decision making. Funny enough, my courage was tested to its limits in a court battle where it was me versus the State, and I was unrepresented (no attorney). I was working a full time job and raising 3 children and learning law at night, and filing papers and motions and always waiting for the hammer to drop. Was basically stressed and incredibly tense and nervous to the absolute limit for almost 2 years straight. I noticed soon after that whenever I was significantly stressed, agitated, annoyed etc. that I would get strong tight tension in my gallbladder. I believe also that my adrenals were exhausted and overworked and cortisol elevated. Therefor, I also sought out ways to help my body cope with all that stress. Here are some adaptogenic herbs that have worked really well for this:

Chinese Licorice Root (G. Uralensis) - quarter or half teaspoon 3 times a day at least 20 mins before a meal. I take the powdered root and dissolve in water and drink it. It tastes pleasant and sweet. Helps with adrenal support and has an incredible calming effect. Make sure it is Chinese licorice root.

Schisandra Berry -1.5g 3 times daily at least 20 mins before a meal. Incredibly well rounded adaptogen. Not as calming as Uralensis or Ashwagandha, but can help provide energy without being a CNS stimulant. Strengthens adrenals. Supports Kidneys, liver and eyes. Rich in flavonoids.

Ashwagandha - 1000mg one to 3 times a day at least 20 mins before a meal. Great for stress associated with hypothyroidism. Affects the GABA receptors in the brain for a very nice mild tranquilizing effect. Really works to calm things down quick. Helps the thyroid converting T4 into T3.

Nettle Leaf - 1.5g 3 times daily at least 20 mins before a meal. Delivers vitamin C to the adrenals (important). Suppresses prostaglandins

Milk Thistle - haven't tried. But I heard it's great for liver cleansing.

These herbs can really help a lot. You can actually feel them calm and soothe the body, and the bitters will literally clean out your liver and gallbladder over time. Although, nothing soothes my stress like a big heaping bowl of banana nice cream. Try it out next time you're feeling stressed, or for your next meal!

I also found that not mixing macro nutrients at meals, or at least putting a bit of time in between different macros (eg. steak and rice) helped a lot. Whenever I eat carbs with fat I find that my gallbladder and liver feel like they're really struggling, and I quickly put on weight. My body just feels cleaner and clearer when I stick to one macro at a time. Sticking only to foods that digest really easily has helped a ton too. This has basically lead me to a diet of meat, eggs, butter, fruit, OJ, some rice here and there. That's literally all I eat. Been doing it for almost a year and it has been fantastic.

Lastly, for my gallbladder's sake, and for the sake of my sanity, I never have caffeine or coffee on an empty stomach or at least without milk/cream and 3 tablespoons of sugar mixed in. Otherwise I get instant gallbladder tension and become an irritable mess.

Regarding the herbs and bitters. I got all of that information from James Sloane aka Hveragerthi. The man is simply brilliant. Here are some links to his forums and info.
The Truth in Medicine, Page 1290, Explaining the myths and facts of alternative medicine: This is the New Forum View. Threads are ordered by the Date of the Last Thread Message.
MEDCAPSULES.COM

Last edited:

Bart1

Liver and gallbladder are connected. Typically issues with one causes issues with the other.

Here are some therapeutic protocols that specifically targeted my liver and gallbladder (and effectively so):

#1 is Digestive bitters. This has yielded the most significant results for me. Involves simply tasting a bitter food substance a couple of times a day and especially at the beginning of, or right after, a fatty meal (meat, eggs, butter etc.). This action cleanses the liver. When the bitter receptors of the tongue are activated, this stimulates the vagus nerve which is connected down to the liver, stomach and intestines. This stimulation of the vagus nerve causes the stomach to produce more stomach acid (added benefit, great for improving digestion) and also stimulates the liver to produce bile which also helps to reduce stagnation of bile in the gallbladder. Additionally, stimulation of the vagus nerve stimulates flushing of the liver and slightly stimulates the intestines. Among several other obvious benefits, this liver flushing/cleansing allows the liver to break down excess estrogen which otherwise can cause weight gain and thyroid suppression and fat cell enlargement. If the liver is overburdened, then the excess toxins which it cannot process right away will be converted in to fat for storage until it can be processed at a later time. The best bitter source I have found is andrographis powder. You just put a pinch on your tongue and suck on it for a few seconds before swallowing. Because the bitters help to detox the body, it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using them to help hyperdilute and flush the toxins.

Chinese Medicine links the gallbladder to courage and decision making. Funny enough, my courage was tested to its limits in a court battle where it was me versus the State, and I was unrepresented (no attorney). I was working a full time job and raising 3 children and learning law at night, and filing papers and motions and always waiting for the hammer to drop. Was basically stressed and incredibly tense and nervous to the absolute limit for almost 2 years straight. I noticed soon after that whenever I was significantly stressed, agitated, annoyed etc. that I would get strong tight tension in my gallbladder. I believe also that my adrenals were exhausted and overworked and cortisol elevated. Therefor, I also sought out ways to help my body cope with all that stress. Here are some adaptogenic herbs that have worked really well for this:

Chinese Licorice Root (G. Uralensis) - quarter or half teaspoon 3 times a day at least 20 mins before a meal. I take the powdered root and dissolve in water and drink it. It tastes pleasant and sweet. Helps with adrenal support and has an incredible calming effect. Make sure it is Chinese licorice root.

Schisandra Berry -1.5g 3 times daily at least 20 mins before a meal. Incredibly well rounded adaptogen. Not as calming as Uralensis or Ashwagandha, but can help provide energy without being a CNS stimulant. Strengthens adrenals. Supports Kidneys, liver and eyes. Rich in flavonoids.

Ashwagandha - 1000mg one to 3 times a day at least 20 mins before a meal. Great for stress associated with hypothyroidism. Affects the GABA receptors in the brain for a very nice mild tranquilizing effect. Really works to calm things down quick. Helps the thyroid converting T4 into T3.

Nettle Leaf - 1.5g 3 times daily at least 20 mins before a meal. Delivers vitamin C to the adrenals (important). Suppresses prostaglandins

These herbs can really help a lot. You can actually feel them calm and soothe the body, and the bitters will literally clean out your liver and gallbladder over time. Although, nothing soothes my stress like a big heaping bowl of banana nice cream. Try it out next time you're feeling stressed, or for your next meal!

I also found that not mixing macro nutrients at meals, or at least putting a bit of time in between different macros (eg. steak and rice) helped a lot. Whenever I eat carbs with fat I find that my gallbladder and liver feel like they're really struggling, and I quickly put on weight. My body just feels cleaner and clearer when I stick to one macro at a time. Sticking only to foods that digest really easily has helped a ton too. This has basically lead me to a diet of meat, eggs, butter, fruit, OJ, some rice here and there. That's literally all I eat. Been doing it for almost a year and it has been fantastic.

Lastly, for my gallbladder's sake, and for the sake of my sanity, I never have caffeine or coffee on an empty stomach or at least without milk/cream and 3 tablespoons of sugar mixed in. Otherwise I get instant gallbladder tension and become an irritable mess.

Regarding the herbs and bitters. I got all of that information from James Sloane aka Hveragerthi. The man is simply brilliant. Here are some links to his forums and info.
The Truth in Medicine, Page 1290, Explaining the myths and facts of alternative medicine: This is the New Forum View. Threads are ordered by the Date of the Last Thread Message.
MEDCAPSULES.COM

Thank you so much. It’s funny that a lot if not all these things are bitter. Cascara is something dr Peat recommends it is also bitter as hell. I’ve tried some of these herbs before, Ashwaghanda for example, sometimes positive sometimes negative reactions to it. Will look into these, thanks again!

A.R

MEDCAPSULES.COM

Great post!

Just a question about licorice root,

I can Remember reading somewhere that it is estrogenic?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals