Tourettes Syndrome From A Peaty View

AretnaP

I have tourettes (more blinking eyes hard rather than cursing in public) and would like to know this forum's thoughts on it.
@haidut

Peaterpeater

My nephew has the same problem and we don't know how to help him. He blinks his eyes shut hard and he does this many times a day and sometime in random succession. I would love to know more about this. I was thinking it might be a neurological issue. I think it also may be called blepharospasm. Squeezing the eyes shut instead of normally lightly blinking.
@haidut

Peatful

I think Peat would look at gut health... Of course looking at cellular respiration/metabolism generally, but more specifically, I think he would hone in on the gut.
Lowering serotonin and estrogen...

DavidGardner

Hypothyroidism can be a cause of tics. The most effective medications for treating tics are antipsychotics, which indicates serotonin as a possible causative factor, since these medications are serotonin antagonists. And of course that brings us back to the gut.

Mauritio

A doctor said its related to dopamin metabolism, so maybe pro dopamin substances / anti-serotonin substances might help

Beastmode

I have tourettes (more blinking eyes hard rather than cursing in public) and would like to know this forum's thoughts on it.
@haidut

Ray Peat:

"It can be caused by a chronic nutritional deficiency, including trace minerals and vitamins."

It's from an email I had with him on a family member who's been "diagnosed" Tourettes.

She wen the antipsychotic path and it definitely inhibited the tics, but made her "numb" emotionally and delayed on her capacity to respond.

Are you doing the basics to Peat's philosophy? Have you had any bloodwork (i.e- vitamin d, full thyroid panel, etc?)

When this family member was drinking a lot of milk per day, taking progesterone, T3, etc there was a substantial difference (reduction) in tics. Long story short, she didn't continue doing the basic stuff that Peat suggests and eventually went the antipsychotic route. Now she's off and on with the medication and doing nothing from what was helping her prior (diet and supplements, etc.)

Hope that gives a bit of perspective. Also, doctors don't know ***t about treating "tourettes."

MatheusPN

"Most typical antipsychotics are anti-dopaminergic..." -Haidut thread
"Nope, only the strictly anti-dopaminergic drugs seem to be implicated. Lower dopamine means higher levels of TPH and this higher serotonin, which has direct effects on PDH." Haidut, 2015
So apparently atypicals are generally safer
Antipsychotic Drugs Inhibit Respiration

Beastmode

"Most typical antipsychotics are anti-dopaminergic..." -Haidut thread
"Nope, only the strictly anti-dopaminergic drugs seem to be implicated. Lower dopamine means higher levels of TPH and this higher serotonin, which has direct effects on PDH." Haidut, 2015
So apparently atypicals are generally safer
Antipsychotic Drugs Inhibit Respiration

My family member is off and on an atypical antipsychotic and it's made her noticeably worse, minus the decrease in tics. Decreasing tics with the increase in other symptoms is like painting a rotting tree.

MatheusPN

My family member is off and on an atypical antipsychotic and it's made her noticeably worse, minus the decrease in tics. Decreasing tics with the increase in other symptoms is like painting a rotting tree.
Yes, to effortlessly know when something is decent, it has beneficial effects in practically all ways, like aspirin
And if someone is trying to increase dopamine using supps I would shortly do Lisuride/ similar and long-term: metergoline/ amantadine etc...

Lumalux

I've battled Tourette's my entire life, with mostly eye blinking and head jerking. I am 55 now. My symptoms abated mostly through middle adulthood but came back with a vengeance with the onset of the pandemic. I think the anxiety is more from the associated social unrest and complete politicization of the virus that has me worked up, and anxiety about whether society will return to "normal" - rather than fear of the virus itself or having to be isolated.
I tried Haldol and Catapres in college. The Haldol worked but was too sedating, and I never re-visited medications after that because I felt my symptoms were minor and manageable. But now they are really bothering me again.
It takes a tremendous amount of energy and self-control to control the tics. They are absent when I am busy and focused on something, and I can go a very long time before I realize that I have not engaged in any tics. But then just thinking about it will cause them to start up again.
I haven't been able to trace any foods or supplements to improvement or worsening of the condition.

AdoTintor

My Polish partner's 8 year old has a tic in the form of a nervous cough that comes and goes.

Her father has tourettes a bit worse and seems to deal with it using alcohol as a suppressant.

If we had 5 of her I would probably be allowed to run Ray Peat experiments.

As it is I cannot even venture anything against Polish cabbage soup etc

Beastmode

My Polish partner's 8 year old has a tic in the form of a nervous cough that comes and goes.

Her father has tourettes a bit worse and seems to deal with it using alcohol as a suppressant.

If we had 5 of her I would probably be allowed to run Ray Peat experiments.

As it is I cannot even venture anything against Polish cabbage soup etc

I may have mentioned this somewhere else, but my 62 year old mom got a large reduction of her symptoms via neurofeedback. It took about 4-5 months to for the huge changes, but it also sorted a lot of other things for her as well (i.e- better focus, more calm consistently, etc.) She did hers via remote training via a company called Peak Brain L.A run by Dr. Andrew Hill.

Lumalux

I may have mentioned this somewhere else, but my 62 year old mom got a large reduction of her symptoms via neurofeedback. It took about 4-5 months to for the huge changes, but it also sorted a lot of other things for her as well (i.e- better focus, more calm consistently, etc.) She did hers via remote training via a company called Peak Brain L.A run by Dr. Andrew Hill.
Thanks for the tip. I will check them out.

steel_reserve

Old thread, but new info: my lifetime tic of clicking my nails and scraping my cuticles went away with low dowses of energin

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals