Tough / Rough Childhood Shortens Lifespan By Up To 75%

B

Braveheart

We don't have to figure out the causes of our problems......We have to let go of them.

Simonsays

When the hardship comes from a family member, the saving point can be the support of another family member, like a grand-parent.

Yes this is true. Modern western families , dont have the resource of aunts, uncles, grand parents etc, that older generations did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xisca

bzmazu, both are ok. You are absolutely right, because knowing is not enough.
But knowing how to let go, this is the point.
And knowing the cause can lead to find the solution.
If you have a look at my topic about somatic experiencing, I say more.

Greg says

Attawapiskat suicide crisis

"Last night we had about 11 suicide attempts, and for the month of April itself, altogether, it's 15... That's a lot."

'We must do better': MPs hold emergency debate over Attawapiskat suicide attempts

I think suicide rates will sore amount young people; debt, education being sold off to the rich, poor food quality, hypothyroidism, social media ramming the image of desirable lives down their throats, celebrity/famous person envy, lack of connection to nature and living like zoo humans, terrorised into living in constant state of threat/terror, no meaningful jobs and high competitiveness, pressure to look a certain way, witnessing the rich/politicians/elitists getting away with murder, global/environmental crisis pressure, the gap between rich and poor growing wider and a general lack of hope. Stress has increased so much since I was a child.

3af33b975750c42043d5dab19fceb66d.jpg

milk_lover

Be there for him, unlike his parents.

There is hope

Not in your Genes, by Oliver James Oliver James | The official website

Using a mixture of famous and ordinary people, Oliver James drills deep down into the childhood causes of our individuality, revealing why our upbringing, not our genes, plays such an important role in our wellbeing and success. The implications are huge: as adults we can change, we can clutch our fates from predetermined destiny, as parents we can radically alter the trajectory of our childrens’ lives, and as a society we could largely eradicate criminality and poverty.

Not in Your Genes will not only change the way you think about yourself and the people around you, but give you the fuel to change your personality and your life for the better.

Think Ray would agree.
I think he's loved by his parents as well. The interaction between his parents is the problem. I am more than happy to be there for him, but he's too lazy to go even outside the house. I will try to give him some pregnenolone once I get my package.

Things are suppressed with serotonin, this is what makes acid so special. It's also why for example SSRI withdrawal can be dangerous if someone is extra messed up.

Luann

The study was done with baboons, but given how closely related they are to humans I think the results are a lot more pertinent than rat stress studies, which btw have been shown to translate pretty well to humans.
A wild baboon usually lives for up to 45 years. So, the fact that some of the baboons with rough childhood lived to only 9-10 years of age is quite depressing, and should be an eye-opener for anybody who thinks that genes are what determined lifespan or health.
The little good news in this study is that it IS possible to overcome that childhood adversity, even though the scientists are not sure what those protective factors may be.

Call me Pollyanna, but I'll always believe that there's a way to avert effects like a horrible childhood, whether through therapy, nutrition, karma / being a good person, or something else. Real life has taught me that there's no tunnel without an end.

Sheik

It is known that during wars, people who stay in the war zone do better than the ones that are "safe" away. The difference is that the one that are away are imagining what is happening and react by imagination. It is also known how people gather and develop cooperation to get the necessary co-regulation.
Co-regulation is saving. Animals, even fish in a pond, stay together HOURS after an earthquake or a strong wildfire.
I'm interested in this topic. Do you know where there are some articles about this?

kyle

The difference is that the one that are away are imagining what is happening and react by imagination. It is also known how people gather and develop cooperation to get the necessary co-regulation.
Co-regulation is saving.

It's worth noting on the topic of war, as the saying goes, new recruits are beaten down and built back up.

This is accomplished through coordinated drills and shared hardship with fellow recruits.

If goose stepping down the street with close friends isn't your thing, I think singing and coordinated dances do this. Anything shared like this seems to have value.

In the good old days before radio, families would gather together after dinner, play instruments and sing songs, often spiritual ones or funny folk songs about their life and surrounding area.

Thank you for the co-regulation concept, I never heard of it before.

kyle

I'm interested in this topic. Do you know where there are some articles about this?

I don't know about that specifically but you might read Ernest Junger's Storm of Steel. It is a brutal depiction of WWI. After the unimaginable carnage and smoke cleared from relentless bombings and poison gas, the soldiers formed up and marched. In between battles and camping in the freezing muck of the trenches soldiers performed drills and marches from dawn til dusk. He sustained numerous shrapnel, concussions from mortar rounds and bullet wounds and as the war wore and supplies scarce, soldiers subsisted on beer and pea soup.

After the war Junger wrote numerous books and was active and spritely well into his 90s IIRC. Incidentally, his surname translates to 'the Younger.'

Last edited: