total removal of my thyroid

Jack

All: I had a total removal of my thyroid and of course the doctor put me on Synthroid and of course i had horrible symptoms. Now I have been on Armour for a year and felt great on it but I wanted to try both Thyroid S and Thiroyd because it is way cheaper and easier to get. The first time switching to Thyroid S I took the same amount as I was taking with Armour (4grains). After two week of just swallowing the Thyroid S I started to have symptom i.e. anxiety and heart palpitations so I went back on Armour and started feeling better again. I am now trying the Thyroid S again but this time I am chewing and placing it under my tongue for several minuted and then swallowing on a empty stomach (in the morning). If this does not work and the symptom come back then I will go back on Armour to reset and try Thiroyd. I know some of you will say to stay on the Armour because it works but I want to at least attempt to use the Thyroid S and Thiroyd so I can store a couple of year not to mention the very good price. The price for Thyroid S & Thiroyd is around .11 per 1grain and the price for Armour is .37 per 1grain (With Ins) and .47 per 1grain without insurance. I will update my findings with these products soon. By the way pimpom products has outstanding customer service!!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Thyroid-S and Thiroyd Discount for Raypeatforum Members

Jack, :welcome

When you got the anxiety and heart palpitations its possible it could have been from too much thyroid.

aguilaroja

Jack said:
I had a total removal of my thyroid ...
The first time switching to Thyroid S I took the same amount as I was taking with Armour (4grains). After two week of just swallowing the Thyroid S I started to have symptom i.e. anxiety and heart palpitations so I went back on Armour and started feeling better again. I am now trying the Thyroid S again but this time I am chewing and placing it under my tongue for several minuted and then swallowing on a empty stomach (in the morning).

Your report about NDT experiences is appreciated. I am sorry there was such a difficult time with T4 only therapy. You have probably read about many such situations. I am not sure how the dosing has been done. Excuse me if the review is unnecessary.

One grain of Armour has the equivalent of 38 mcg (micrograms) of T4 and 9 mcg of T3.
http://www.frx.com/pi/armourthyroid_pi.pdf

So a 4 grains of Armour has 152 mcg of T4 and 36 mcg of T3. T3 is short acting, so it is best to have it reach the cells frequently. Dr. Peat and others have emphasized that the physiological (and beneficial) amount of T3 is a few micrograms per hour. Taking large amounts of T3 has potential problems including thyroid function excess, increasing "reverse T3", and other reactions.

By this reasoning, it is preferable to use NDT forms and preparations with T3 frequently in smaller amounts throughout the day, rather in a single large amount.

OP
J

Jack

Thank you for your response aguilaroja! So your saying I should take the 4 grains through out the day instead of all at once. What schedule and with or without food should i follow?

aguilaroja

Jack said:
So your saying I should take the 4 grains through out the day instead of all at once. What schedule and with or without food should i follow?

Welcome to the forum. Things partly depend on what is reasonably feasible. Dr. Peat in some contexts has recommended nibbling small amounts of T3 frequently throughout the day. IMNHE, some people have difficulty fitting that frequency into their routine.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

As a FIRST approximation, you might see how it goes taking one grain four times a day, with food or a snack. Spread the times throughout the day. If you plan to take thyroid late in the evening, do a trial of the late evening dose on a weekend day, when you can sleep late if needed. For some, extra T3 is a sleep aid and for others, they may wake up a bit. As usual, much depends on individual circumstance. I have encountered many people whose well being has improved dramatically simply by shifting the frequency of dosing.

Though things are different for each individual, taking NDT with food tends to make the release of T3 more gradual. I am not meaning to judge Armour vs. Thiroyd vs. Thyroid-S or the other NDT's by this general outline, which applies to various T4/T3 combinations.

The estimate is based on the working idea that 4 grains total daily is a helpful amount for the situation. Tracking symptoms and monitoring resting pulse and temperature are useful in adjusting the amount and timing. Many posts on the forum debate the how-tos. Reviewing Dr. Peat's various articles and talks on thyroid is recommended.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/th ... ties.shtml

OP
J

Jack

Aguilaroja:

I will try the methods that you recommend. I have a question though... When I take 4 grains of Armour in the morning on a empty stomach and breakfast an hour later I feel awesome all day except sometime I need a 20 minute nap in the afternoon after work before going to the gym. Are you saying that even though i feel great I could be hurting my system by not taking the 4 grains evenly through the day? It just seem if i feel great by the method i am using then everything should be ok. Thank you.

aguilaroja

Jack said:
Are you saying that even though i feel great I could be hurting my system by not taking the 4 grains evenly through the day? It just seem if i feel great by the method i am using then everything should be ok.

[This may be off-topic from Pimpom Products.]

Your personal experience is a great guide IMNHO. It's wonderful to hear that things are well. If the current approach is working for you, great. And if well being is good taking taking Armour before meals, there seems no need to experiment with taking it together with food. I was conveying impressions and rationale about what has worked better for some.

Over the long term, it is helpful to have other ways of checking. It is helpful for many to track both absence of low thyroid symptoms, and resting pulse and temperature. Though not the only measure, lab tests can also have their place. Some people with low thyroid issues have chronic difficulties that they granted or are told they "have to life with". Some problems are only recognized in retrospect, when thyroid function improves.

There are many web sites and books listing low thyroid symptoms. Of course, have a look ar Dr. Peat's descriptions. You might survey a few to find one that is practical and thorough for your situation.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroid ... cklist.htm

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Moved Jack's topic to it's own thread.

Aubryn

The title is Discount on Thyroid S and Thiroyd for Ray Peat forum members. Where, with whom and how?

pimpomproduct

Hi Aubryn how are you.

please have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2336

You can get a discount through us if you want (by coupon code or by mail)